Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nasal wash

Re: Nasal wash

Namaste shantiseeker.

When first battling a sinus problem, it's recommended to do it twice daily, then taper off to once a day, then every few days. I had surgery in '04 for obstructive sleep apnea. The surgery was called a "up3" or "uppp", uvulopalatopharyngoplasty. Really.

It included removing my tonsils, overgrown throat, palate, and nasal tissue. My ent surgeon and internist both told me to do neti religiously (no pun intended), but I always forget. It's a habit I have to develop.

The proportion of salt to water, 1 tsp. per cup, and the body temp. water is to mimic the body's own processes.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thanks TBTL! I may just do so 2x/day, then to once. I have a past history of sinus infections, including one a good 24 years ago where I had a 103 degree fever and remained quite ill for several days. I then had headaches on a weekly basis for some time after. Then periodically I would have infections where it was just congestion and some pressure where I'd be on antibiotics. I've been clear of that end for about 10 years, but will still in the morning especially have odd congestion which resolves within an hour or so and is irrespective of the weather and seasons. In general, reading up now on other reasons to do Neti, it's worth it for those too!

Hari Om!

Thank-you for sharing you experiences shantiseeker. I have had great success with migraine and allergies. Perhaps twice a day would cause greater improvement. Thanks for the reminder.

The main reason it's so hard to kick a sinus infection even with antibiotics is because there is not a large blood supply to the sinuses to deliver the antibiotics.

I've found that exercising in the cold is great for clearing the sinuses. Maybe because the cold shrinks the tissues allowing the sinuses to drain. Excuse the graphic description, but after a walk or run in the cold, I'd blow my nose and find part of my cerebral cortex in the tissue.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Has anyway considered nasya after neti? Another great practice, then is massage. I like oils that have eucalyptus and sesame. With the many nerve endings in the nose, it is said to be beneficial to many parts of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Thank-you for sharing you experiences shantiseeker. I have had great success with migraine and allergies. Perhaps twice a day would cause greater improvement. Thanks for the reminder.
    No problem, and thank YOU for noting it DOES help migraines. It will motivate me to try it on a more regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Has anyway considered nasya after neti? Another great practice, then is massage. I like oils that have eucalyptus and sesame. With the many nerve endings in the nose, it is said to be beneficial to many parts of the body.
    Read about it recently, but no. Seems it would be the perfect thing after Neti.

Thread Information