Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

LONDON: The latest Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism has found that the number of non religious people in India has risen.

As against 87% saying they were religious in the same survey in 2005, the percentage has fallen to 81% in 2013. In other words, a drop by 6% in seven years.

The survey also found a 1% dip in the number of people calling themselves as an atheist. In 2005, 4% people said they didn't believe in God. In 2012, that had dipped to 3%.

Globally, the trend is similar. Religiosity has dropped by 9%, while atheism has risen by 3%. The report says there is a notable decline across the globe in self-description of being religious.

Pakistan is among the few countries which has seen an increase in the number of people who call themselves religious - by 6%.

Argentina, home to the present Pope, saw a 8% dip in people calling themselves religious.

South Africa has seen a 19% dip in those calling themselves religious, US 13%, Switzerland and France 21% and Vietnam 23%.

A total of 51,927 persons were interviewed globally from 57 countries across the globe in five continents. In each country a national probability sample of around 1000 men and women was interviewed. China has the highest number of atheists living in a single country with nearly 50% of its population describing themselves as non-believers compared to an average of 13% across the world.

Re: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

But, of course, we are still more religious than most of ythe countries covered in this survey

This was just a small reporting of the full results.

I will post the entire list of countries below.

Also, if you want more information, you can find the full PDF of global results here-

http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf

National populations who are more inclined to say they are religious

Rank ordered from ‘High’ to ‘Low’

Ghana 96

Nigeria 93

Armenia 92

Fiji 92

Macedonia 90

Romania 89

Iraq 88

Kenya 88

Peru 86

Brazil 85

Georgia 84

Pakistan 84

Afghanistan 83

Moldova 83

Colombia 83

Cameroon 82

Malaysia 81

India 81

Poland 81

South Sudan 79

Uzbekistan 79

Serbia 77

Tunisia 75

Saudi Arabia 75

Italy 73

Argentina 72

Ukraine 71

Ecuador 70

Lithuania 69

Bosnia and Herzegovina 67

Palestinian territories (West Bank and Gaza) 65

Lebanon 64

South Africa 64

United States 60

Belgium 59

Bulgaria 59

Iceland 57

Russian Federation 55

Finland 53

Korea, Rep (South) 52

Spain 52

Germany 51

Switzerland 50

Ireland 47

Canada 46

Azerbaijan 44

Netherlands 43

Austria 42

Hong Kong 38

France 37

Australia 37

Vietnam 30

Sweden 29

Turkey 23

Czech Republic 20

Japan 16

China 14

AMONG BELIEVERS

SHARE OF ‘I AM RELIGIOUS’ AND ‘NOT Religious

Religions

‘I am Religious’ ------------------Not Religious

Christians (all denom.) 81%---------------16%

Muslims 74%----------------- 20%

Jews 38% --------------------- 54%

Hindus 82%-------------------- 12%

http://www.wingia.com/en/news/win_ga...st_century/14/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 11 June 2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Formating X.x

Namaste NayaSurya
    Thanks for the list.

An interesting observation could be, that a look at the most religious countries, and except maybe Brasil and India, all are the least developed out of all.
    Whereas, you can find, China, Japan, Australia, Hongkong in the bottom of the list.

Why cant religion and development go hand in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    Namaste NayaSurya
    Thanks for the list.

An interesting observation could be, that a look at the most religious countries, and except maybe Brasil and India, all are the least developed out of all.
    Whereas, you can find, China, Japan, Australia, Hongkong in the bottom of the list.

Why cant religion and development go hand in hand?
    I think some Hindu traditions teach that perfect enlightenment is only possible in a human form, on earth -- because in realms (the higher heavens) where existence is pleasurable, who wants to do sadhana?

One could liken the highly developed nations as like the higher heavens, offering little incentive to do sadhana or practice religion.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    I think some Hindu traditions teach that perfect enlightenment is only possible in a human form, on earth -- because in realms (the higher heavens) where existence is pleasurable, who wants to do sadhana?

One could liken the highly developed nations as like the higher heavens, offering little incentive to do sadhana or practice religion.

Namaste Jetavan

Thats a highly positive and appreciable comparison.
    Maybe you are right, in countries where existence is pleasant, you get lesser time for sadhana/prayer.
    However, why would this make people believe they are less religious, is inexplicable

I'm curious about the study's definition of "religious" as well. I have no doubt the numbers are accurate, but I think part of the dip may have to do with the reputation of the word "religious" and not whether people actually consider themselves as practitioners of a certain faith.

At least in the United States I feel like "religious" has a negative connotation. The thought is that fundamentalists are religious, not everyday, reasonable people. This is not exactly correct, but I think there's a stigma there.

It's not surprising that the numbers are falling in India. At my local temple, a lot of effort goes into keeping the younger generation involved in their faith but I see the eye rolls of the teenagers and hear their scoffing. I can tell that it is difficult.

I met a young Indian (maybe in his late teens, early twenties) and he asked me "You actually believe in this stuff?"

Then again, I told religion to go to hell when I was a teenager, and here I've looped back around.

Shanti
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe it would have been more beneficial had they published previous percentages according to each religion

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post

It's not surprising that the numbers are falling in India. At my local temple, a lot of effort goes into keeping the younger generation involved in their faith but I see the eye rolls of the teenagers and hear their scoffing. I can tell that it is difficult.

I met a young Indian (maybe in his late teens, early twenties) and he asked me "You actually believe in this stuff?"

Then again, I told religion to go to hell when I was a teenager, and here I've looped back around.

Shanti
    So, you want to say that young people in late teens and early twenties of previous decade were more religious than now?
    But, in recent days, I have seen religious ideas and spirituality on a rise. Books like Immortals of Meluha and serials like Devon ke Dev Mahadev are a hit among young generation as well. Maybe that has got to do with the marketability of these stuff, but they increase awareness neverthless

May be they would have stopped being religious but spirituality will always be there. God is a very subjective thing.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Thread Information