Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hello all.

My name is Gord and I am 33 years old. I have been a spiritual seeker for some time. I once was a Christian but a few years ago had a change of heart and a desire to seek more. Since then I have looked into gnosticism, Islam, various paths in Buddhism, various forms of paganism and the occult, Judaism and Kabbalah and Sufism. I have learned a great deal from all those paths.

Lately I have been settling back into Buddhism as it has been my favourite path and the one that brought me the most peace. Zen meditation and the Nembutsu mantra from the Pureland teachings have been my main practice. But I sometimes find I miss the 'divine' or 'God' aspects that Buddhism doesn't always cover.

This lead me to for the first time to explore Hindu teachings. I was immediately taken by some of its basic ideas that I found so similar to my own. It also gave me for the first time in a very long time, a feeling of knowing God again, along with the peace of Buddhism.

So far my practice has been meditation, then the Maha Mantra and some prayer. I don't know too much, so I mainly focus on Lord Krishna for now as it seems a good place to start. I am just about to start reading the The Bhagavad Gita.

I joined this form to learn more about the Hindu Dharma and maybe broaden my own practice.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Hello!

Namaste!

I, too, ended up on this path after much searching.

This is a great forum with lots of great people. Hope you enjoy yourself and learn lots.

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Namaste.

Thank you SatBast. I appreciate the reply. Just browsing this forum has already yielded a ton of good info.

Peace

gord

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

Curiosity gets the better of me,
    Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    Since then I have looked into gnosticism, Islam, various paths in Buddhism, various forms of paganism and the occult, Judaism and Kabbalah and Sufism. I have learned a great deal from all those paths.
    Why was Hinduism the last thing on your shopping list?

Do you have any Hindu temples in your area. Visiting temples and associating with devotees is a great way to deepen your attachment and get more out of it. No matter what sampradaye (sect/lineage) of Hinduism you end up following/studying, Bhagwad Gita is a good place to start your introduction to the core of Hinduism. Best wishes.
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Pranam.

Namaste.

Thanks for the welcome Believer.

Not sure why Hinduism was last. Perhaps 'divine' influence? It honestly seems like Hinduism is the sum of the whole so to speak. I saw aspects of the other paths I looked into all in Hinduism. Maybe Hinduism is the freshwater lake after wandering from pond to pond?

Thanks for the link on temple info. Appreciated.

Peace

Namaste Gord

I do not know a lot about religious history in Canada, even though I have relatives there and I am a big admirer of Canada and love when I can go to B.C..

But I am familiar with America and the roots of "Eastern Religions" here, and your path through Buddhism into Hinduism actually makes sense from an American perspective because Buddhism really has set roots into America for a long time for about 150 years while Hinduism started to notably expand starting in the 1906 into WW1, then took notice in the 1950s then really took notice in the 1960s and 70s. So Buddhism has an adherence and presence and it is not surprising your path back to the original religion of humans towards Hindu-Vedic-Dharma is Buddhist.

You noted Sufi, that is actually popular in California, I have seen such adherents wearing their garmets in public in Walnut Creek CA, and now I am seeing the is a Sufi Temple being built nearby on rather expensive property.

But Hinduism is your answer. And I have many temples around me, both Western, Indian and Western-Indian mix. And visiting temples in Canada, it would not surprise me that there is an Indian based Hindu Temple near you, perhaps not as many Western Hindu Temples or Mix as I have. You should visit a Temple!

Welcome and I hope you take time to actually associate with Hindus both Indian and Western and visit temples soon.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: Where in Canada? I'm familiar with most areas, and the temples available there. Maybe I can make a few suggestions, or who knows, host you?

Aum Namasivaya

Hello all.

My name is Gord and I am 33 years old. I have been a spiritual seeker for some time. I once was a Christian but a few years ago had a change of heart and a desire to seek more. Since then I have looked into gnosticism, Islam, various paths in Buddhism, various forms of paganism and the occult, Judaism and Kabbalah and Sufism. I have learned a great deal from all those paths.

Lately I have been settling back into Buddhism as it has been my favourite path and the one that brought me the most peace. Zen meditation and the Nembutsu mantra from the Pureland teachings have been my main practice. But I sometimes find I miss the 'divine' or 'God' aspects that Buddhism doesn't always cover.

This lead me to for the first time to explore Hindu teachings. I was immediately taken by some of its basic ideas that I found so similar to my own. It also gave me for the first time in a very long time, a feeling of knowing God again, along with the peace of Buddhism.

So far my practice has been meditation, then the Maha Mantra and some prayer. I don't know too much, so I mainly focus on Lord Krishna for now as it seems a good place to start. I am just about to start reading the The Bhagavad Gita.

I joined this form to learn more about the Hindu Dharma and maybe broaden my own practice.

Thanks for your time!
    Welcome Gord ! Did you learn Advaita VedAnta ? I would advise you to read Upanishads for grasping what Bhagwad Gita actually offers. Bhagwad Gita offers teachings on Bhakti, Karma Yoga and Advaita. Therefore, various interpreters have translated this great scripture in line with their own belief-systems.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hello, I think gita is perfect for you
    AUM

Thanks for your time!
    Vannakkam: Very generally speaking, you will find that the recommendations you get come from particular schools, usually associated with the person making the recommendation. Hinduism is incredibly vast, and there is lots to explore.

For example: An advaitin recommends you read the Upanishads.

A Gaudiya Vaishnavite recommends you read the Bhagavad Gita first.

A bhaktar just wants to take you to a temple.

etc

Sometimes exposure to only one sect or branch may limit your knowledge, so it may be wise to explore all a bit before settling on one primarily. it would be very difficult to do all of the above, just within Hinduism itself. We're just too vast.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information