Thread: Meditation - Hindu or Buddhist?

Hybrid View

Meditation - Hindu or Buddhist?

Which meditation do you practice, Hindu meditation where you focus on the qualities of God, or the Buddhist type of focusing on breathing, thoughts etc.?

Which works for you?

Re: Meditation - Hindu or Buddhist?

Hindu,
    I focus on the sound of OM.

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by dustyroad View Post
    Which meditation do you practice, Hindu meditation where you focus on the qualities of God, or the Buddhist type of focusing on breathing, thoughts etc.?

Which works for you?
    Vannakkam: I'm not sure if I understand the key differences as you do. My limited understanding is that there are several kinds of meditation, and perhaps all are to be found within both Buddhism and Hinduism in various schools. Certainly I think that focusing on a single mantra can be in both, for example. I've also heard Hindus will and can focus on breath. Then there are guided meditations where the focus varies as you go further and further into it. I guess I'm thinking its more complicated than you put it. On top of that, just the word 'meditation' has different connotations. As an example, for some, japa is a form of meditation. For others, it isn't it's just japa.

Aum Namasivaya

There is a really excellent book which discusses exactly this, but from the point of view of scientific medicine (neuroscience).

How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings From A Leading Neuroscientist, by Andrew Newberg, M.D. and Mark Robert Waldman.

Both of these authors have spent many years studying meditation and the different meditative states, and this book explains--very clearly--"what" (kind of meditation) does "what" (in the brain), and also (to the extent this is presently understood) "why." Just about every possible "kind" of meditation is discussed, so readers can choose for themselves what is best suited for their personalities, for their spiritual goals, and also, for what they want to achieve, either spiritually or physically. (Both physically and spiritually, some kinds of meditation achieve mostly some things; other kinds of meditation achieve mostly other things. All are good things, it's just a matter of customizing to what your own personal goals may be.)

This is an easy-to-understand, extremely practical book for anyone who meditates. (Which would be, I suspect, just about 100% of those who are here on HDF. )

The book is available in paperback, and if it's not available locally in a bookstore near you or in a library, then you could try www.abebooks.com or www.amazon.com because they will both almost surely always have copies available for purchase. (In the United States: Ballantine Books Trade Paperback, ISBN 978-0-345-50342-8 ; the cost of a new copy in the United States is U.S. $16.00; copies would be MUCH cheaper on abebooks or amazon, and usually can be shipped globally, but be sure to pay attention to international shipping charges if these should apply, because these are often more than the cost of the book itself.)

I think that Hindu meditation means that you eventually will merge with God or at least try to.
    Buddhist meditation as I understand it is to relax and realize that everything is illusion even God, you are supposed to get to the void.

I might be wrong about this, IŽd be interested in what someone who is Buddhist would say about it?

Maya

Hello maya,

to my understanding you are correct about Buddhism, but the same is true for hinduism also, that is to get to the void.
    The Brahman itself is the void.

Here is some verses from rigveda, about void.

"THEN was not non-existent nor existent: there was no realm of air, no sky beyond it."

"All that existed then was void and form less: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit."

"The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?
    "

source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10129.htm

Here is a sage vasishta quote ...
    What exists is only Brahman It is full of non-consciousness and(objectless) consciousness, It can only be indicated by negation (not this, not this). He became that which Is beyond description.That state is the void. Brahman, consciousness, the Purusa of (he Samkhya) Isvara of the yogi.Siva,time,Atman or self, non-self and the middle etc. of the mystics holding different views."
    These teachings are older than buddhism, the teachings of buddhism always existed in hinduism.
    Last edited by sankar; 07 March 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sankar View Post
    Hello maya,

to my understanding you are correct about Buddhism, but the same is true for hinduism also, that is to get to the void.
    The Brahman itself is the void.

Here is some verses from rigveda, about void.

"THEN was not non-existent nor existent: there was no realm of air, no sky beyond it."

"All that existed then was void and form less: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit."

"The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?
    "

source: http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rv10129.htm

Here is a sage vasishta quote ...

These teachings are older than buddhism, the teachings of buddhism always existed in hinduism.
    Thank you Sankar.

Do Buddhist generally believe that the Void is Brahman? Or do they believe that it's just a void?

If they see the void as Supreme consciousnesses and unmanifest energy then it is very similar to Hindu thought.

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by dustyroad View Post
    Which meditation do you practice, Hindu meditation where you focus on the qualities of God
    this is the form of meditation for theistic hindus, but not just the only one ...

Also these 'Buddhist type' of focusing on breathing, thoughts etc are older than buddhism actually.
    Last edited by sankar; 07 March 2012 at 11:50 AM.

im not sure if this topic is still open i dont know alot between the 2 religious types i did read a few books before i started and have been practicing "Vipassana" meditation (concious thought on the breath) the main purpose is to clear your mind, much like the empty sleep before the dreams however you stay awake and the main purpose is to help direct and control the flow of thoughts that come in your brain. if i see God in the process i will take it as a blessing, however that is not my purpose as of now, possibly down the road.
    "She looked in Krishnas mouth and saw the Entire Universe!"

Thread Information