Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cultivating Humility

Re: Cultivating Humility

Namaste

Humility is lack of ownership and lack of doership.

If I am not the owner, doer, facilitator of anything at all, and KanhaiyA is facilitating His PrakRutI that is doing it all, then that sets me free.

If nothing is mine, everything belongs to BhagavAn, the Supreme Lord, there is no need for others to unnecessarily misread a sense of greatness or un-humbleness or pride or whatever, in my thoughts, actions and words.

If I am matter-of-fact, I am not afraid to think, say or act because others will think I am proud. Why? Because there is absolutely nothing I do, own, establish or create! If I am not a thief, there is no need for me to think others may think I am one!

This last point is what relates well to the point made by Yajvanji -- "Humility is thinking of yourself less and less, not thinking less of yourself" So very true. Even calculating a thought "I am supposed to be humble" is focusing on your ego-self.
    Last edited by smaranam; 30 November 2014 at 07:13 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Moving on to a simpler plane, other points on this thread -- such as "parenting makes one humble" are also useful and quite true. It certainly can help break the ice of ignorance at some level. This is OK when the chintAmaNi gems of adhyAtma (spiritual science) are not yet applied.

This is why it is more foolproof and scientific to say -- lack of ownership and lack of doership means humility.

So all one has to do is get rid of
    ahaMkAr -- false identification, ego
    mamatA/mamatva -- mine, my,
    bhogtRtva -- enjoyment with a sense of possession
    and kartutva --- doership "I did this"

Lord KRshNa says in the Bhagavad GeetA 15.5:

nirmAna moha jita-sanga-doshA
    adhyAtma nityA vinirvRttakAmA
    dvandvair-vimuktAh: sukha-dukkha sauMdnyairgachhantyamUDAh:
    padam avyayam tat ||

Whose pride, desire for honour, and hankering or affection for mundane things have died,
    Those who have conquered (overcome) worldly attachments to the ego,
    Those who are always situated in the AtmA (adhyAtma-nitya), and not in the false ID - ego,
    Those who have lost all worldly desires [beyond basic needs]
    Those beings, having knowledge of the AtmA, having crossed beyond the duality of happiness and sorrow, reach that eternal non-perishable place (padam avyayam tat).

Question Re: Cultivating Humility

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste

Humility is lack of ownership and lack of doership.

If I am not the owner, doer, facilitator of anything at all, and KanhaiyA is facilitating His PrakRutI that is doing it all, then that sets me free.
    Pranam,
    In a sense, bhagavan himself is an excellent model of humility. He is the lord of all jivas in the universe, yet he acts as the charioteer of arjuna (hence parthasarathi), washes the feet of sudama, and even danced with the gopis, something which he doesn't do even with shridevi:

नायंश्रियोऽङ्गुनितान्तरतेः प्रसादः स्वर्योषितांनलिनगन्धरुचां कुतोऽन्याः
    रासोत्सवेऽस्यभुजदण्डगृहीत कण्ठलब्धाशिषांयुदगाद्व्रज वल्लभीनाम्

If he can treat his bhaktas in such a manner, then we can surely act in the seva of other beings, even those which may seem insignificant, like insects.
    Last edited by Jaskaran Singh; 30 November 2014 at 01:28 AM.
    படைபோர் புக்கு முழங்கும்அப் பாஞ்சசன்னியமும் பல்லாண்டே
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskaran Singh View Post

Pranam,
    In a sense, bhagavan himself is an excellent model of humility. He is the lord of all jivas in the universe, yet he acts as the charioteer of arjuna (hence parthasarathi), washes the feet of sudama, and even danced with the gopis, something which he doesn't do even with shridevi:

नायंश्रियोऽङ्गुनितान्तरतेः प्रसादः स्वर्योषितांनलिनगन्धरुचां कुतोऽन्याः
    रासोत्सवेऽस्यभुजदण्डगृहीत कण्ठलब्धाशिषांयुदगाद्व्रज वल्लभीनाम्

If he can treat his bhaktas in such a manner, then we can surely act in the seva of other beings, even those which may seem insignificant, like insects.
    Namaste,

Yes, indeed. You have cited some good examples of that, can you please give reference of that shloka?
    My first 'reaction' was that the truly Humble is BhagavAn Himself --- but for some reason I did not write that in the post. When the Lord acts to teach us and set an example He does so in the most complete and highest way.
    Shri KRshNa -- in a "poem" about Him I wrote He is the Humblest and Kindest.

Jai Shree Krshna Govind Mukund Murari !!
    Last edited by smaranam; 30 November 2014 at 07:37 AM.

And this is why when KRshNa say aham this and aham that in the GeetA, it is not coming from some ego, because He doesn't have doership. He is alipta, and never entangled in doership. He says I am akartA - non-doer, and it is prakRtI that does things under My jurisdiction, but this He is saying as a matter-of-fact.

Pranams,

"Humility means one does not impose his conceptions upon others and he is fully dependent on the mercy of the Lord."
    -Srila Bhakti Swarup Damodar Maharaj

The subject and practice of humility is certainly of really great importance. I can really take great inspiration from my own Guru H.H Bhaktisvarupa Damodara Swami, who was a deeply humble person and loved by almost all who met Him, if they were devotee or not they still could feel his natural humility.

I was lucky to have a fair bit of association with Him, and in a simple manner He would often say that Knowledge would never be perfected until one has humility. Maharaja would not only speak about humility in parts but he demonstrated it in His daily life and practice, for me and many others He was a living example of this fine and essential quality. One thing humility is not and that is weak, it is the greatest strength the key to full union.

If He left any instruction within me then it would be three things to attain perfection in Sadhana, life and realization, and that is Meditation ( contemplative reflection, among other things ), Synthesis and Humility.

In Gaudia Vaishnavasim Sri Chaitanya Maha Prabhu left only 8 verse by his own hand and one that is a nice recitation and contemplation
    trnad api su-nicena taror iva sahisnuna amanina mana-dena kirtaniyah sada harih
    ["One who thinks himself lower than the grass, who is more tolerant than a tree, and who does not expect personal honor yet is always prepared to give all respect to others can very easily always chant the holy name of the Lord." (Adi-lila 17.31)]

The state of Saranagati is apparently before true Bhakti arises in the heart. Sadly this is very often used in the wrong way.

I have been reflecting on humility and one of my considerations is the divine state of humility is where one realizes how great one is, but that greatness is a state of awareness of all the things that it is witness to, the sheer scope of full God consciousness is so mighty that one can only feel humility, joy, mysticism and Bhakti and at same time be in pure a state of wonder amazement and love. Humility is not just about feeling lowly and having low esteem as is practiced in some schools, sometimes I wonder why there is that fear to teach the divine aspect of being. I think Avadhuta Gita is a master piece. But we always need to keep our feet on the ground and always be on guard of the kleśa in our samskaras or else our divinity is ruined, we are born to be divine, it is our birth right, the divine realm is ever invitiing us, time to stop wasting time in the trivia of material identification.

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 30 November 2014 at 12:08 PM.

Namaste,

As the surrender to God increases, the doer-ship, 'I' and 'mine' decreases, humility is cultivated naturally as to do not take credit for anything but dedicate everything to God. Renunciation also helps one to become humble.

Neutral mind is a strong mind, it is humble too if one believes in God

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information