Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with japa as of late

Re: Issues with japa as of late

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

There has been some difficulty in my life in the past few months with the performance of japa. Specifically, I can't seem to get a rhythm and my mind seems unfocused. This makes it especially hard to stay motivated and to say the rounds and is becoming a great deal of stress for me. I've had brief encounters with this before but never to this level. I've always enjoyed japa and looked forward to the time each day dedicated to such. Now it's more of a chore. I am truly embarrassed to share all of this.

I know that others may have had the same difficulty sometimes throughout their "spiritual careers" and am hoping to get some pointers as how to proceed and get beyond this. Encouragement is appreciated, but tools and just downright help is my true desire.

Thanks for allowing me to share here. Your time is beyond value.

Om
    Namaste

I have few questions.

Do you do Japa on OM or any other mantra associated with a deity?

Do you pray to God to help you guide through your sAdhanA?

What kind of thoughts are coming in meditation? Find out, what is it that is making you to forget God. Search. After finding the issue like too much importance to any issue or to a person or thinking too much about your business / Job, next step is to get rid of the feeling of insecurity or the reason for having such thoughts.

e.g. if you are having too many thoughts about political situation and it is due to watching news for long hours. news channels, here in India, repeat same news again and again throughout the day. If you keep watching news for 2-3 hours, then same thought will keep coming.

When mind does not support, start dedicating more and more time to read SAshtra-s.

If there are too many thoughts and you cannot chant mantra, then stop meditating nad leave the premises, take a sip of water, come back again after 1-2 minutes and then restart meditation.

If still thoguths come. Stop meditation and listen to bhajans or start reading or listen to your favourite discourse for 10-15 minutes. Again start meditating as soon as mind is calm.

When thoughts disturb you, do you try to overpower them? What do you do when thoughts disturb your meditation?

What is the goal of your life?

btw, how much time do you do japa?

do you wake up early in morning 3:30 am or atleast before sun rise before birds began chirping?

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 23 December 2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: added last line
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Hari Om!

AmrutJi,

Thank-you for such powerful queries, some of which I will try to answer hopefully for the benefit of all.

First, my primary focus as of late has been only to chant Guru Mantra which for obvious reasons will not be shared. I had also been focusing in the Hanuman Mantra and one specific to Brahmacharya but only do a limited amount of those in written form. Though still a "chore" in some regards and that it takes up much time, it calms - the written form that it. I don't know why.

I listen to bhajans throughout the day as they are very uplifting. Have also started listening to classical music and feel someone mixed about the latter. Is it OK to do so, the classical that is? I do not watch TV or read newspaper as stated in another post. This does help/has helped calm the mind and keep clarity in an otherwise unstable world.

Have had difficulty with prayer and not certain why as it is just hard to do for some reason. I feel like a beggar and that I am also asking for/saying the same things. Does anyone else encounter this?

Can't always take the time to avail myself of listening to discourses but will certainly consider this as time permits because this is such a powerful suggestion and one that I had overlooked.

EMJi's suggestion of vasana daha tantra is a very powerful one for which I am extremely grateful.

The mind is becoming less restless and much more calm as I "lay off" a bit. Perhaps as others had mentioned, my sadhana did need some (temporary?) revamping. I don't know how many hours a day others commit to such, but looking back at mine, it can be quite extensive.

One other factor that I had not thought of and was pointed out by a doctor of mine who is also a Hindu. He mentioned that when the body is in pain one can encounter many of the same issues that I have been. This is not a catch all however. I still need to do the work, just modified for some time until all is corrected on all levels - spiritual, physical, and mental.

Once again, thank you all so very much. Your insights, encounters, and contributions are filling the spiritual potholes in the road.

Om

Hari Om!

AmrutJi,

First, my primary focus as of late has been only to chant Guru Mantra which for obvious reasons will not be shared.
    Hari Om Smith ji,

I understand and do not expect you to share the mantra. the reason for asking you whether you meditate on OM or any other mantra is because the advice differs for sAkAra upAsanA and nirAkAra upAsanA.

In case you are actually meditating on your Guru, as a person, then try to be visualize his feet. The feet may be visualized as that made of pure energy of Golden Yellow complexion. He may were shoes or not, but it also has to be of same complexion.

You also need to be aware that he is not a person, but a guru tatva, which is representation of brahman and so all prayers go to the Almighty.

In case of any devatA, you can either visualize face or feet or if possible entire form.

Now chant the mantra. This should help.

I had also been focusing in the Hanuman Mantra and one specific to Brahmacharya but only do a limited amount of those in written form. Though still a "chore" in some regards and that it takes up much time, it calms - the written form that it. I don't know why.
    While being aware of a mantra, only one sense, hearing, is active. While chanting a mantra, only two indriyA-s, senses are active i.e. ears and mouth. while you type, all three indriya-s are active i.e.

eyes (see what you write),
    mouth (mental chanting of what you write),
    ears (listen what you chant)

Even in case of visualizing or doing pUjA, three indriya-s are being used. Along with the three, while writing or doing pUjA, hands are also in use.

So mind is occupied in syncing many things, hence concentration becomes easy. In other words distraction is less as compared to chanting one mantra over and over again.

Again, reading sahasranAma, you are reading 1000 different names. this is easy, but repeating one name for 1008 times is comparatively difficult.

Hence you feel comfortable while writing a mantra.

The core may be due to excessive thinking. Are you an excessive thinker?
    Do you find it difficult to control thoughts?
    When you start thinking on any issue, are you so much involved that 20 -30 minutes or even hour passes unnoticed?
    Are you a very sensitive person? (sorry for asking personal info, but it will help give advice. Still I understand if you do not wish to share)

I listen to bhajans throughout the day as they are very uplifting. Have also started listening to classical music and feel someone mixed about the latter. Is it OK to do so, the classical that is? I do not watch TV or read newspaper as stated in another post. This does help/has helped calm the mind and keep clarity in an otherwise unstable world.
    It is said that music clears thoughts and induce one in spiritual mood. So meditation i.e. japa becomes easy. Music has power to rise kundalini and some say that listening to music can raise kundalini up to heart. when kundalini reaches heart chakra (anAhat chakra), then one gets the first glimpse of divinity, the nectar of Bliss in center of chest but on back side.

So music does help, but it is not necessary to listen if you feel it boring. Listen to simple bhajans.
    Have had difficulty with prayer and not certain why as it is just hard to do for some reason. I feel like a beggar and that I am also asking for/saying the same things. Does anyone else encounter this?
    this is not a good sign. Your approach is not good. See, we wish to be united with God, have his darshan, feel his presence. Prayer helps one to accept that there is higher authority and reduces ego. Asking to God, as you say begging to him reduces ego. Perhaps, you think yourself as capable person that can do japa by your own effort. This is not true.

Accept God as supreme and then pray to him to guide you and pray to him to remove all kinds of negative thoughts and energies. Pray,

'O God your child has come to your refuge. Please accept me.
    O God, please remove all kinds of negative energy, negative thoughts. Please replace them with positive and divine thoughts and divine energy.'

You may also focus on one emotion or thought at a time. e.g.

'O God, please take away stress, please give me calmness
    O God, please take away hatred, jealousy, irritation. Fill me with Love
    O God, please take away violent thoughts and give me calmness and Love. Give me devotion'

I used to repeat these prayers for 4-5 times to increase the effect and then I used to just let-go and relax. I used to relax all muscles and feel that all negativity is taken away by God (Hanuman ji or any other form) and I am now filled with peace and bliss.

I used to pray to God to make my mind constructive so that only positive thoughts would come.

I also used to pray to God to guide me through japa and teach me how to do japa. I used to repeatedly pray to God to teach me japa as I dont know how to do japa. when the prayer comes straight from heart and there is strong surrender, you will get response.

Keep practicing this.

Pray to God to take away Ego that is stopping you to surrender to him. Keep praying. Live a life of prayer and meditation.

EMJi's suggestion of vasana daha tantra is a very powerful one for which I am extremely grateful.
    There is no harm in practicing it. I just shared my approach.

The mind is becoming less restless and much more calm as I "lay off" a bit. Perhaps as others had mentioned, my sadhana did need some (temporary?) revamping. I don't know how many hours a day others commit to such, but looking back at mine, it can be quite extensive.
    There is no need to revamp sAdhanA. what is necessary is to let-go.

I guess that you have two main problems

1. Ego problem - so you are not able to surrender
    2. You hold on to thoughts and do not let them leave - excessive thinking and sensitive nature

If any issue or incident has happened, you keep thinking too much on it. Is this right?

Brother, no one is perfect. I had problems with others and with my family members. The frequent question that used to raise in my mind was, ' Why do they behave like this, why not they think in this way?', etc. But then I found problem with myself. The moment I accepted all as they are i.e. 'as it is', my problem was solved. I accepted them with positive and negative qualities. Immediately there was peace, the chaos, mental whirlwind vanished in a second and peace dawned on me.

Later I stopped 'trying to change others'. I accepted others and did not make any attempts to change them. They will ignore you or will resist you. Only when someone asks for your suggestion give them, but DO NOT try to change anyone.

These two things helped me a lot in my sAdhanA. Try it.

To some, I have successfully helped them relieve stress, and in some cases, even their body pain by making them to accept these two things. Then I ask them to forgive and forget. If you wish I can share my thoughts, as it will take some time to type.

One other factor that I had not thought of and was pointed out by a doctor of mine who is also a Hindu. He mentioned that when the body is in pain one can encounter many of the same issues that I have been. This is not a catch all however. I still need to do the work, just modified for some time until all is corrected on all levels - spiritual, physical, and mental.
    When body is sick, control over mind is difficult, but keep trying to chant, as when you come out of sickness, then you will be surprised to know that now you can meditate easily then before. Except you have diarrhea or high fever, you can do japa.

At times, I used to just be aware of surroundings or just be aware of breath and I used to just let-go, just let-go and relax each and every muscles specially muscles on forehead. My jaw used to drop a little and I used to just 'be' in presence. No chanting, no thinking, just ignore the world and just ignore any thoughts that comes. It is not important to think right now, I will think sometime later and just let-go. I did not used to control breathing as I knew I am not going to stop breathing. So Just be aware of breath and then be aware of entire body at a time. This helped me a lot.

Brother, prayer helps a lot. Also do not forget to end meditation with prayer.

Always thank God and Guru for helping you.

Good luck.

OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 24 December 2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected typos

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Hari Om!

AmrutJi,

Am in complete awe at your response and don't truly know how to thank you. Please allow my humble and simple words suffice but know that they mean so much more. Thank you!

Forgive the copy and paste below of your words. Am not too computer savvy but want to use your precise statement.

"1. Ego problem - so you are not able to surrender
    2. You hold on to thoughts and do not let them leave - excessive thinking and sensitive nature"

Yes, to every degree. Have been working on these for some time and although they have lessened to a degree, there is a long way to go here. Thank you for pointing out these essentials and others throughout the post.

Prayer now sounds approachable with the new perspective you have given. Although some of the same requests may come, they would be more like a daily renewal more like anything else I would suspect as in asking for guidance with japa. Funny thing is that my prayer is very different at the mandir and is more in terms of surrender but still a long way from where I am comfortable and needs much improvement. Your words are so very encouraging.

Japa should improve too if I stand correct. Guruji blesses me daily and I should know better than to doubt this connection, especially the bond that we have during jap of Guru Mantra.

Wanting to change others and win them over to "the right way" (my opinion or ways of doing things) has been a major issue in my life and I have struggled with this for some time. Ego? Of course and to a very large degree. Letting others have their way, allowing things to be less than perfect or go undone, making little things larger than they are - that's me. Again, another area for total surrender. Thank you again for the suggestions. Not an easy one to tackle but by grace of Guru it can be done.

With your permission, I would like to print and read your last post daily as I begin the day. It is very inspirational, motivational, and has reminders a plenty.

Have left much out of this post but wanted to note some of the high points and most especially share the gratitude that has welled up within my heart. Please know that your words have great impact and influence.

All the best.

Om

Prayer now sounds approachable with the new perspective you have given. Although some of the same requests may come, they would be more like a daily renewal more like anything else I would suspect as in asking for guidance with japa. Funny thing is that my prayer is very different at the mandir and is more in terms of surrender but still a long way from where I am comfortable and needs much improvement. Your words are so very encouraging.
    Hari OM Smith ji,

Each day negativity enters us due to the life we live. So it is daily cleansing.

Praying to guide you in japa is only until you get guidance. Questions are asked until you do not get answers. After you get answers, there can be no questions and so no request to answer them

Japa should improve too if I stand correct. Guruji blesses me daily and I should know better than to doubt this connection, especially the bond that we have during jap of Guru Mantra.
    Give yourself some time. Dont be in a rush and you will get success. Try to find out what kind of thoughts arise in meditation. They are mostly related to current day-2-day issues or about politics, sports or maybe some fantasy. you may become a superman and are busy saving a beautiful girl

So find out what kind of thoughts interfere your japa and then get rid of their cause like you stopped watching TV. Change may not happen in one day, but will surely happen.

Wanting to change others and win them over to "the right way" (my opinion or ways of doing things) has been a major issue in my life and I have struggled with this for some time. Ego? Of course and to a very large degree. Letting others have their way, allowing things to be less than perfect or go undone, making little things larger than they are - that's me. Again, another area for total surrender. Thank you again for the suggestions. Not an easy one to tackle but by grace of Guru it can be done.
    To change approach, it is not necessary to be spiritual. Just change the approach, the way you think and perceive and things will change. Psychology is very important. Surrender will of course help you and make things easy. All we need to do is simply 'accept each other 'as it is' and 'do not try to make a mirror image of yourself in others' i.e. do not try to force your philosophy on others. It is rigidity. Everyone is unique. One should try to find out what best suits them rather than trying to force onto others what best suits 'me'.

With your permission, I would like to print and read your last post daily as I begin the day. It is very inspirational, motivational, and has reminders a plenty.
    Sure. It is already in public domain. There is no need ot ask for permission. Thank you for kind gesture. Appreciate it

My English is not very good and there are always typos in my posts

After you have developed a habit of praying, it will not take more than 2 minutes. You may later alter prayers as per the situation you are in.

You may try Autosuggestion for temporary relief. I used to record my own instructions and play them using headphones. this was long back during my college days. I had a habit of exploring and experimenting, doing R & D

Have left much out of this post but wanted to note some of the high points and most especially share the gratitude that has welled up within my heart. Please know that your words have great impact and influence.
    Appreciate it. Happy to know that I could be of any help to you.

OM

Hello
    I find that listening to music really helps immensely. Some of my favorites are Greatest hits of Kali Yuga by Krishna Das, he does a wonderful mantra to Lord Shiva and several others, also Pure Ganesh by Gurugunesha. Wonderful chants on this one too. Then there is just spiritual music without words. Sometimes those are the best. Hope this helps
    Aum

Thread Information