Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A bit more light...

Re: A bit more light...

hari o
    ~~~~~~~~
    namaste

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    This Self ( that is none other then our-Selves, it is nothing else) is behind the mind, aware but of little involvement ( unconcerned) with the throws of daily life. This is why this level of Being is so stable and worthy of merit.

But the person asks maharāj-ji, how to reach this Self ?
    He responds , you are the Self here and now. Leave the mind alone, stand aware and unconcerned...
    This notion is continued by him saying, discover all that you are not - body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, time, space, being and not being this or that ( referring to one's career, position in life, etc) - nothing concrete or abstract you can point to is you (meaning Self).
    What takes some getting use to is the notion of this SELF. Many think there is this lower self ( of me, I ) and this higher SELF that is to be acquired as if a transaction will occur and one purchases it. This is not the case. This SELF is here all the time, we experience a sliver of it as self, 'me', I.

Ramaṅa mahaṛṣi gave an example of looking up at the sun from the base of a tree. One looks though the braches and the leaves. We see some part of the sun but not its full luster. As we move out from under the tree ( ego, me-ness) the sun becomes more and more visible. It always was shining 100% all the time (even from behind the clouds a.k.a. tamas). It shines on all with no restrictions.
    The only difficulty with this analogy is there is you and there is the sun 93 million miles away. The SELF is not away but within and without every thing there could be - it depends on nothing for its existence. It is totally and completely independent.

It is said (in kaśmir śaivism) this supreme independent (svātantrya¹) state of God Consciousness (caitanya) is the form.
    But the form of what? We can say it is the ~form~ of one's true SELF.
    And the wise say It is the 'form' of everything i.e. the basis, the core, the foundation.
    This implies that solid ( body) or spiritual ( non-body) , material or non-material however subtle, has this form. It is the essence of everything, and this is the Supreme, Brahman or our true SELF.

praṇām

1. svātantrya the following one's own will , freedom of the will , independence
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 July 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: A bit more light...

hari o
    ~~~~~~~~
    Namaste

It is not unusual to hear , look inside.... This suggests to the native to look inside one's own self. Yet this seemingly simple instruction seems to confound many an experiencer and in many ways.

Q: When I look within I find sensations and perceptions, thoughts feelings, desires, fears, memories and expectations. I am immersed in this cloud and see ( or cannot discern ) nothing else.

śrī nisargadatta maharāj :that which sees all this, and the nothing too, is the inner teacher. He alone is, all else only appears to be.

This simple idea is the beginning. When one is doing this inventory , this inspecting of feelings, thoughts, emotions, what is doing this? It is our awareness. And who is it reporting the results to ?
    The beginning of this inner-inspection; it is not the goal but it allows one to sort out things. It suggests that this awareness does not take sides ( different or indifferent) - it is neutral. This is the beginning of this inspection one can do .

It is when this awareness is totally and completely aware of itself that we an say it is Being. A Self-referral condition. But one needs to sort out the laundry , not get involved in the laundry , but directing that inspector (awareness). When that inspector is fully aware of itself, when it is pure awareness , with its attention on no one-or-many things, but residing in itSelf, we find the mind at rest. The wise would say the mind is abiding.
    Yet when activity comes, the mind then springs back into action and all the laundry starts its dance all over again. The skill/technique is to bring the mind to 'no mind'. Then one remains ever balanced and in perpetual peace. This is the fundamental orientation of sādhana¹.

iti śivaṁ

1. sādhana - a means of effecting or accomplishing , any agent or instrument or implement or utensil or apparatus , an expedient; we have taken this word to mean the approach in spiritual pursuits
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information