Thread: Sine and Jya-Ardha

Sine and Jya-Ardha

Namaste

I was reading a trigonometry book (from my daughter's school) and found the following reference in her book almost immediately, and it struck me as another example of how India and SD is being recognized as the Mother of so many things, what to speak of the Mother of "Religion(s)":

QUOTE -

The word sine has a curious history. The Sanskrit term for sine was jya-ardha ("half-chord"), later abbreviated to jya. Islamic scholars, who learned about sine from India, called it jiba. In Segovia, around 1140, Robert of Chester read jiba as jaib when he was translating al-Khwarizmi's book, Kitab-al-jabr wa'al-muqabalah, from Arabic to Latin. On meaning of jaib is "indentation" or "gulf". So jiba was translated into Latin as sinus, meaning "fold" or "indentation", and from that we get the word sine.

- END QUOTE

Just found that interesting!

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Sine and Jya-Ardha

This is certainly an interesting piece of information, thank you for sharing!
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Thread Information