Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kalki avatara and Dharma

Re: Kalki avatara and Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    A translator cannot deny where he is, and what he have to do for making others to understand. Dharma don't have any other meaning or proper word, similar to karma.

PrabhupAd was using the word religion to make others understand his meaning, but in India we do not need re-translation of his work in English.
    Namaste,

If i understand you correctly, the word dharma is best left alone, and Indians do not need a translation for dharma and adharma. So far. Few generations down the road might, sadly.

The words dharma and adharma immediately ring a bell in my mind, but there are people so young and so new to SD that they could think dharma only means sanAtana dharma - which is true really, but they think in terms of the Abrahamic mind set that teaches that only their way is true, and hence come up with qns like "So will all people of other religions be Kalki's targets because they do not follow dharma?" They translate dharma as minimal affiliation to Hindu dharma.

Coming to Shrila PrabhupAd, what do you mean by "re-translation of his work in English"? Did you just mean "his English translations"? Fine, but he could not have left the saMskRt without translation - be it Bengali, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarathi or English. For the world.

All i will say is Shrila PrabhupAd's translations have more depth that what can be perceived by a casual read. They are more about KRshNa's msg than about saMskRt grammar, homonyms and homophones, and are in alignment with all previous lines of VaishNav AchAryas.

For instance, he translates BG18.66 as "abandon all varieties of religion and surrender unto Me" - not all varieties of duties. That is the value he adds: the intended msg. Arjun was thinking in the radius of dharma-artha-kAma, paap and puNya, and KRshNa asked him to transcend that to pure Love for and dependence on Him: aham tvam sarva pApebhyo mokshyashami, mA sucha.

I know there are very few here who appreciate his books, many who disapprove, many who do not understand the why-s, and that was also partly my reason to stay away from the forum earlier as i could not just sit and read criticisms about him.

Anyways, thanks for your inputs.

Hare KRshNa ~
    praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: Kalki avatara and Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post

Muslims and Christians think only Islam and Christianity is the way, this is not similar in sanatana Dharma. Individual action will make paap and punya.

Vanakkam,

Hm but...Sri sri Ramakrishna was studying and even practicing Christianity and Islam at some time, he even said that all the paths goes to God, but the paths are NOT God... However, he is a great saint and a great Bhakta.

Sri Sri Shirdi Sai Baba was educated with Sufi Islam, and lives in a mosque. However, he is revered as a great saint by both Muslim and Hindu, I even dare to say He is among the most popular saint, and his message is very pure and compassionate !

Those two wasn't necessarily living on strict rules of scriptures. However they realized God and followed Dharma in their way of living, even with a step away from Sanatana Dharma (the religion) they proved that God can be found on another path.

On His arrival at Shirdi, people of the village (majority Hindu) were throwing stones at him because he was wearing Muslim clothes. But they revered him as a great Saint seeing his actions were honest and that he was on a pure path.
    I feel sometimes it's the same. Some very orthodox Hindu throw stones as us westerners in the forms of mean words...But it does not make us stop to try and learn and take actions.
    By the laws of Karma, only our actions bare fruits. Being born here or elsewere, being white or black or green whatever, does not constitute a judgement on a person's way of living, actions, so it's Dharma.

Dharma =/= Sanatana Dharma, I understand now

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

3. Re: Kalki avatara and Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    -----------------------------

In order to deliver the dharm and to annihilate the evils, as well as to re-establish the principles of dharma, I advent Myself time after time. (Bhagwad Gita 4.8)

KalKi will save all good and destroy evil.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information