Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandhi & Gulikan

Mandhi & Gulikan

Om Tat Sat,

I've noticed that some astrologers in Kerala/Andhra use Mandhi and Gulikan in horoscopes. Some feel that they are one and the same but others feel they are different. In general everyone considers them to be sub planets (Son of Saturn/ Son of Yama).

I would like to know whether they are noted in our ancient texts and any details around the usage of these sub planets. Appreciate if any one could point to any authentic books on this topic. I'm fine with Tamil, Malayalam, Sanskrit and English

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Regards
    Krishna

Re: Mandhi & Gulikan

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Om Tat Sat,

I've noticed that some astrologers in Kerala/Andhra use Mandhi and Gulikan in horoscopes. Some feel that they are one and the same but others feel they are different. In general everyone considers them to be sub planets (Son of Saturn/ Son of Yama).

I would like to know whether they are noted in our ancient texts and any details around the usage of these sub planets. Appreciate if any one could point to any authentic books on this topic. I'm fine with Tamil, Malayalam, Sanskrit and English

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Regards

Krishna

Dear Krishna ji,

My inclination, generally, has been to first consult Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra in all such matters. I carry two versions, latter one added much later at the recommendation of a modern scholarly person. G. Sharma's one (2 volumes) and Pandit Jha's (Sanskrit Hindi) published from Varanasi (one volume).

Though not encyclopedic or comprehensive, the available forms of BPHS (some say that over time, much has become lost, fragmented and many fragments held in closely guarded manner -- still represent a treasure chest.

Sages wrote very concisely, in a pithy manner, and often have to be read and re-read many times and always while consulting known charts in personal practice, etc. The two together often bring out things and improve our understanding.

I am certain that you have pored, determinedly, over B.P.H.S.! If not, please do!

Love, Light, Sincerity,

Rohiniranjan

Dear RR Ji,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've only online version of BPHS with me I didnt find any concrete thoughts around Mandhi. I just want to understand from the experieinced astorlogres whether Mandhi or Gulikan really helps in nailing the prediction. I'm curious to know this since only a small set of astrologers are using them. I just want to get a high level feel before spending lot of time on this topic.

Thanks
    Krishna

Krishna ji,

Speaking for myself, I use gulika as an additional negative indicator in horoscopes influencing the house, associated planets, connection through rashi-sambandhas (rashi drishtis) etc and have found it helpful that way. Some jyotishis insist that these should only be considered when fixing muhurtas for different reasons. I use these in birthcharts (natal) because it represents an important (hopefully mostly good ;-)) muhurta in the life of the parents of the nativities!

There are various opinions about mandi and gulika or whether those are same or different or one more malefic than the other etc etc; I have not spent too much time in all that kind of research etc on this matter. Jyotish is full of diverse opinions (mati bhinna?) that one can spend an entire lifetime sifting and searching through those.

I am sure you must have charts of nativities in your collection with known facts about them or better still, those you are in contact with and get feedback from. Try a few of those and verify if these upagrahas (there are several more too) are associated with actual experiences. Then after a few such examinations, you will be able to sense whether to utilize and pay attention to these or not. That is the best and more practical way.

You should try and acquire the paper edition of BPHS by G. C. Sharma (Sagar publications). It is in English, more complete than a few others and has his personal notes as bonus which gives additional references, viewpoints of other ancient and contemporary astrologers and makes for a well-rounded read. If you can read hindi then the single volume BPHS by Devchandra Jha (Chowkhamba Prakashan, Varanasi) is another useful publication. It does not have additional notes etc but provides a clear translation of the ancient scripture.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

om gurave namah

Dear Krishna TVM,

If I might be so bold as to explain a little as I am currently learning this.
    Gulika has been critical in the unfolding of my own chart; so I am quite aware of the importance of the upagraha.

As the son of śani one would not be well advised to forget him; nor any other of the
    Upagraha. śani works through gulika, particularly through his nakshatra depositor.
    Upagraha are the differentiation of time, in Sanskrit "velā", and as they are also graha, the sapta upagraha "grab us"; just as the navagraha do, except that the Upagraha are younger, fitter, and more alert; keen children of the graha.

If space and time are a puzzle that Parāśara muni has expounded; we would certainly be unwise if we were to negate the existence of any of the pieces!

Kind regards.

Dear Mana Ji,

Thanks for the details. I'll be glad if you can clarify on the following questions. Are Mandhi and Gulika different upagrahas. Any Rules for interpreting them.

Thanks for your help.

Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Dear Mana Ji,

Thanks for the details. I'll be glad if you can clarify on the following questions. Are Mandhi and Gulika different upagrahas. Any Rules for interpreting them.

Thanks for your help.

Krishna
    Krishna ji,

You are probably looking for this kind of 'starting information' to help you begin exploring...?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Importance...ope&id=7796913

Rohiniranjan

Where PINDAAs finish, and FORM vanishes, what matterd became energy?

Does that fit within our framework of Jyotish?

Only you can tell?

Please do share...?

Rohiniranjan

Namaste,

All thanks and prayers to my Guru for sharing this knowledge with me.

Dear Krishna TVM here is a little expansion of this subject,

The upagraha exist in manas and are to us, somewhat as the bhāva are to rasi, they in fact link the graha to the rasi via the nakshatra or rasi dispositor. mandhi and gulika are quite different upagraha calculated in very different ways; mandhi being the son of yama and gulika the son of śani.
    Found roughly 180 degrees apart. For the calculation of the saptaupagraha, the day and night are both taken as differentiated into 8 velā of 4 pada each, giving 32 pada in all for a day or a night. This is for the saptaupagraha and is not the case for mandi.
    Imagine an 8 petalled lotus, the point of each petal the middle of each velā, this is where the upagraha are considered to be. The order is set by the lord of the day.

To understand how these two interact we need to understand that there are two sets of upagraha which are different, one for the daytime and another for the night and then need consider good and bad, the effect to children both in and out of wedlock for example, also night born / day born. The chart of conception is also important here, night or day.

saṇjNā - All knowledge - Night
    chāyā - The shadow - Day

Mandi is "give poison", the point from where we sin or create bad karma. gulika is "take poison", the point from where we receive poison, due to past karma or sin.

one 8th of the day, or a velā are used for the calculation of gulika and his fellows, where as 30 ghāṭikā are used for mandi and his fellows excepting that only mandi is used in his case.

In so far as "rules" are concerned, rules are not the best way to approach this topic. That said, One born with gulika on lagna is said to be "janma gukika" may know great suffering and problems to their health.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 27 February 2014 at 12:38 AM.

RR Ji & Mana Ji,

Thanks for guiding me on this topic. Thanks alot and I'll come back to you with more questions and updates soon.

Thank you very much
    Krishna

Thread Information