Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Namaste,

I would like to know your views on him. Personally I find his lectures excellent and agree with quite a lot of his points.

For starters, here is one of his speeches:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LpIeJSkLEg

His views on spirituality and eastern culture starts @ 43:00
    यस्मिन् सर्वाणि भूतान्यात्मैवाभूद्विजानत:।
    तत्र को मोह: क: शोक एकत्वमनुपश्यत:॥ ७॥

Re: Sam Harris

Vannakkam Sadhaka: This is the first time I've heard this name, so I googled it. Now I am wondering what this has to do with Hinduism. Can you elaborate, please.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Sadhaka: This is the first time I've heard this name, so I googled it. Now I am wondering what this has to do with Hinduism. Can you elaborate, please.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM,

The way how explains spirituality in scientific and philosophical terms is excellent. He's an Athiest, but his views are much similar to ours. For eg: See how he answers the question why he's biased towards eastern religion

Did you see the video?

OM

PS: Regardless, he discusses about science and spirituality and I find his views interesting, so I guess it's on topic? It doesn't necessarily have to come with the label of our belief does it?

OM

Haven't watched the video yet. But I do remember him debating with Deepak Chopra on a program called 'The Future of God'. He struck me as a reasonable voice. He is also one of the big names in the western neo-atheism movement along with Dawkins and Hitchens. But he has worked towards researching and popularising meditation in the west.

Not sure what his views are on the Hindu roots of Yoga, but he is on record saying that even "atheism" as a label needs to go, just like religion is.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mohanty View Post
    Haven't watched the video yet. But I do remember him debating with Deepak Chopra on a program called 'The Future of God'. He struck me as a reasonable voice. He is also one of the big names in the western neo-atheism movement along with Dawkins and Hitchens. But he has worked towards researching and popularising meditation in the west.

Not sure what his views are on the Hindu roots of Yoga, but he is on record saying that even "atheism" as a label needs to go, just like religion is.
    Namaste Mohanty,

Exactly. He mentions the same thing in the video. He's just against dogmatic beliefs of religions (especially Abrahamic ones). I like Dawkins and Hitchens as well, but their views are too narrow for my liking when it comes to philosophy/spirituality.

OM

I like Dawkins when he sticks to things he knows about. That's biology. Otherwise he comes across as an ignorant bigot, not unlike the ones he claims to be against.

Hitchens is fun though.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Okay. Watched the whole thing. Really liked it. Glad to see someone in the Dawkins camp not seeing the world in black and white.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

I went through some of the small clips on him, and needless to say I like what he says. He seems to be on the camp who believe, consciousness can be reduced to the brain, but otherwise seems a very rational, sane and unbiased voice.

I generally instantly like those who put Islamism in the right place before moving on.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

10. Re: Sam Harris

After reading your post I googled Sam Harris. This is first time I know about him.
    Last edited by PARAM; 11 May 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: edit
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information