Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolutionary! Sri Velukkudi Krishnan on 'Abhishekam'

Revolutionary! Sri Velukkudi Krishnan on 'Abhishekam'

Namaste,

I was looking up at a list of Hindu superstitions when I landed on this link -> http://achakpachak.quora.com/Superst...ible-Rationale.

Kindly read the point #5 on 'Abhishekam' in the above link. The author calls it 'superstition' and 'mere wastage of gallons and gallons on milk on a mere stone'. I was very upset on reading this, but then the good author had linked a video-clip of the great Sri Velukkudi Krishnan's speech on 'Manava Seva is Madhava Seva' (Serving humans is serving the lord). The video clip is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OVr2RN_xM.

Although I cannot translate the entire 5+ minute speech of Sri Krishnan Swami in the video, I can do so for one key point he makes - he says that god never requests the devotees to do abhishekam to him using milk, curd, etc. Rather he only wants abhishekam in pure water. So please donate all this milk and curd to those needy children who are starving around the street corners!

I thought this message from Sri Krishnan Swami is revolutionary - a staunch devotee who is well-versed in sastras claiming that doing abhishekam to devatas with milk and curd is unessential and to stop the practice instead!

Please share your opinions on the same.

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Revolutionary! Sri Velukkudi Krishnan on 'Abhishekam'

Vannakkam: I have decided personally not to donate milk to the temple I attend, but I do use about 5 spoonfuls each day in home abhishekham. It is certainly a long standing tradition, although perhaps not necessary mystically. I wouldn't know, and I think we'd have to look to the agamas for clarification. We had one chap here who was adamant about the temple's use of milk. His complaining was incessant, and became quite the distraction for many devotees. So I say we leave it up to individuals, and I think most people have probably given it due consideration. As with other threads lately, even if it were a waste, what business have we in telling others all about that?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

I was looking up at a list of Hindu superstitions when I landed on this link -> http://achakpachak.quora.com/Superst...ible-Rationale.

Kindly read the point #5 on 'Abhishekam' in the above link. The author calls it 'superstition' and 'mere wastage of gallons and gallons on milk on a mere stone'. I was very upset on reading this, but then the good author had linked a video-clip of the great Sri Velukkudi Krishnan's speech on 'Manava Seva is Madhava Seva' (Serving humans is serving the lord). The video clip is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66OVr2RN_xM.

Although I cannot translate the entire 5+ minute speech of Sri Krishnan Swami in the video, I can do so for one key point he makes - he says that god never requests the devotees to do abhishekam to him using milk, curd, etc. Rather he only wants abhishekam in pure water. So please donate all this milk and curd to those needy children who are starving around the street corners!

I thought this message from Sri Krishnan Swami is revolutionary - a staunch devotee who is well-versed in sastras claiming that doing abhishekam to devatas with milk and curd is unessential and to stop the practice instead!

Thanks,

Viraja
    Thank you for this link Viraja-ji! I am so relieved. I am a vegan and I was wondering if we need to use non-sattvic milk for abhishekam. This video has cleared my doubts.

Regards

EM ji, some people might actually benefit from the info - like myself. I did not know that (as stated in the OP - in the first link) 'Abhishekam' with milk, curd and other food supplies (honey for instance) is not even sanctioned in the Vedas! I was surprised. All this time, even with all the faith in god, when I looked at Abhishekam at temples, I used to be filled with a thought that all that food goes into the waste, but I would immediately think/picturize a god being 'cooled down' with immense amount of liquid poured in devotion and this used to pacify me. Now I don't have to do this exercise! I have decided to not participate in temple Abhishekams. I do not do abhishekam at home, but in case I do it sometime, I will keep in mind about being frugal and mindful about the amount of food supplies I'm using.

Namaste,

Thanks,

Viraja

Dear Viraja,

Namaste,

Lord Krishna was very clear in the Bhagavad Geeta...when He said.

Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge
    TEXT 26

patram puspam phalam toyam
    yo me bhaktya prayacchati
    tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
    asnami prayatatmanah

TRANSLATION

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

So it was always there in the Geeta that God does not ask for anything.
    Even in stanza above Lord Krishna says that "If one offers me"..the word IF denotes an option and not a compulsion and also indicates that its the desire of the devotee and not a direct demand from God.

So the words of Vellukudi Krishnan comes as no surprise.

Vannakkam Viraja,

Yes I've often thought about it too and wonder about its necessity. Whenever I witness an abhishekam and see all those milk, honey, coconut water and other things being poured on the murthi endlessly, I do feel some guilt and discomfort. I don't know why, but I do, even though I try to see it as a way to purify our minds.

Interesting to know that it's not in the Vedas. Perhaps, as EM mentioned, we will have to look at the Agamas.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste Ji,

I agree with what Sri Velukkudi Krishnan said.It is good to help the needy.

It is true that the Vedas talk more about other forms of worship and the Agamas deal with topics such as Murti Puja.

There are vessels to collect all the abhiskeka remains after the tirumanjanam is performed.This is distributed as tirtha to all the devotees and often they complain that they are not given sufficient amount,even I do .

Abhisheka is not performed because the Devatas are required to bath but for the sake of devotees who derive happiness watching the celestial bathing puja.It is a part of Agamic worship and the Agamas specify the quantity or the number of vessels of each item to be offered.But nowadays it seems that people are of the opinion that the Abhisheka remains must flow like a river.We must remember that we are not allowed to stamp on tirtha,then how can abhisheka material be allowed to flow around?It is duly collected and consumed,thus nothing is wasted.Care must be taken that excess amounts are not used,this is the duty of the devotees and the temple management.

Also,take note that Hindu-shaming seems to be the latest tactic by some forces out there to make Hindus doubt their scriptures,make them feel guilty and watch happily as some abandon the Dharmic methods taught by their wise elders.

If someone wants to donate let them donate,if someone wants to do Abhisheka it is ok & if someone doesn't want to do it is also okay but let us not forget that there is nothing to feel bad when things are done in the way prescribed by the scriptures.

P.S. Plain water abhisheka tirtha is boring,a few Tulsi leaves added would be better.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

@Axlyz: Thank you, glad the video has helped you.

@Renuka: Thank you for a very good point.

@Equinox: My next venture is to ask about 'Agamas' and their sanction on Temple Abhishekas!

@Ram: Ram ji, it is one thing about being frugal with the amount of dairy used in temple abhishekas, but to ask someone (As Sri Velukkudi Krishnan does) to completely let go of the practice and use just water and thirumanjanam (even in temples) is another one! I'm really very surprised at this.

@Equinox: My next venture is to ask about 'Agamas' and their sanction on Temple Abhishekas!

@Ram: Ram ji, it is one thing about being frugal with the amount of dairy used in temple abhishekas, but to ask someone (As Sri Velukkudi Krishnan does) to completely let go of the practice and use just water and thirumanjanam (even in temples) is another one! I'm really very surprised at this.
    Namaste Ji,

I read in history books that the Agamas were writted when Yajna performance declined and Murthi Puja was getting popular.They deal with building temples,installing deities,offering services,performing annual rituals and so on.
    The Agamas specify how many grams of sandalwood is to be used,what is the length of the cloth required to dress the deity,the length of flower garlands that adorn the deity and how to dispose them,the design of the ear-rings to be adorned for the Devata........They are ritual manuals,with only a few early ones dealing with philosophical issues.However,as temples started becoming the centers of economic,social,religious and political life,the depth of the Agamic literature increased and a multitude of important ideas were discussed. The three schools of Hinduism have their own Agamas,viz. Vaishnava Agamas,Shaiva Agamas and Shakta Agamas,whose numbers run into thousands.

Most of our Vaishanava Acharyas cry out 'Apacharam','Agama Shastra Viruddham'

even if a priest makes a minor change in the way Puja is performed.I remember there was a huge issue when one famous Divya Desham Temple decided to cook Naivedya on gas instead of fire wood.Some Jeer Swamijis lashed out at this idea and conducted public protests,finally the temple management had to abandon their idea. Sri V.K. has a lot courage to give this message,let us hope for the best.
    Last edited by Ram11; 20 August 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Dear Ram ji,

Thank you for all the wonderful information on agamas. So agamas seemed to have evolved at a much later point than Vedas. So one can discount what is being said at a specific agama?

Most of our Vaishanava Acharyas cry out 'Apacharam','Agama Shastra Viruddham'

even if a priest makes a minor change in the way Puja is performed.I remember there was a huge issue when one famous Divya Desham Temple decided to cook Naivedya on gas instead of fire wood.Some Jeer Swamijis lashed out at this idea and conducted public protests,finally the temple management had to abandon their idea. Sri V.K. has a lot courage to give this message,let us hope for the best.
    All the acharyas should come out and be bold and brave and accommodate for a changing society in whatever way that is feasible. In olden days, there was no TV or modern communication avenues (and India was also rich and fertile) so there wasn't so much exposure to utter poverty. But current society is not so and we are all well aware of it. So what Sri VK speaks rings true to me and I am sure these well-learned and otherwise pious men feel the same too.. I feel they are acting under societal pressure to conform with a specific set of views only and probably fear their authority might get questioned if they act like Sri VK. This should really change.

Thanks.

Thread Information