Thread: can't seem to motivate myself to practice

can't seem to motivate myself to practice

Namaste,

Don't know where this question fit or if the details are even particularly important but just in case... I've never stuck to my practice very well but what I try to do is read scripture for an hour and meditate for at least 20 to 40 minutes per day. There have been periods where I have stuck to this for months at a time. I used to practice in the morning before work and that worked pretty well but I recently switched to working at 5a.m. instead of 2p.m. and getting up an hour and a half earlier than necessary doesn't seem practical when I can barely sleep as it is. And when I get home from work I just can't motivate myself. it seems insane. How hard is reading? But there it is. Sorry if that was long winded. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Stevie

Re: can't seem to motivate myself to practice

Hari Om!

How wonderful that you share this as it is a sign of progress in your sadhana. Please do not despair however as there are many solutions and some remedies which you may find helpful. I still encounter this issue from time to time so am hoping that this is useful.

First may I mention that practices are most always best performed in the morning hours, the earlier the better (ie: brahmamuhurta) because as the day progresses, so do the tamasic forces. Satvic energy prevails in early morning hours. Not a 4AM type of person? 10AM is still better then 8PM, etc.

As has been pointed out to me in my queries from previous posts, perhaps you have taken on too much at this point in your life. Flexibility is paramount.

I don't know you or your station in life, but perhaps depression plays a part? Not being able to properly concentrate, lack of motivation? Not a stigma, just a consideration. Lack of sleep or being unable to sleep properly is another sign.

Increase your time spent in satsang, preferably live but if time only permits for the wise words from YouTube then so be it. Something is better than nothing.

Another suggestion may be to stick with what you are doing. Sometimes life puts bumps in the road. When we encounter them we simply continue past, over the hump and back to smooth sailing. This was my case.

Pray to Lord Ganesha and Sri Hanuman for strength and guidance. Prayer is powerful and the spoken word is so very powerful. Let Him know what is on your mind because although He can read it, one must come to the Lotus Feet of Hanuman and be willing to surrender.

Perhaps this is enough to give you a few ideas to ponder. Do hope it helps in some small way.

All the best to you my friend.

Om

Try to always chant God name everywhere everytime, chant it, feel your heart with joy, let Him enter your daily live and let Him purify you life.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

If time is an issue for you, which in your post it appears to be, I would suggest starting off with shorter sessions of practice to make it more convenient for you- once you regularly practice for a shorter amount of time, you can then lengthen the time to your desired goal.

Dear shays860 ji,
    Namasthe!

Your living has to become your practice. Every moment.

CASE 1:

If you really have some time but are choosing some other activity in place of meditation or study of scriptures ... it just means that your mumukshatvam [desire for liberation] is not strong. But even if your desire for liberation is not strong, you cannot force it. True spirituality is never "by force"... one builds it up slowly. One cannot make the fruit ripen faster ...

What one can do however, in this case, is meet holy people and read their lives. that would inspire us and help us develop mumukshatvam. This is called Satsangha... if you do not have a guru, you should read books like Bhagavatam or Yoga Vasishta to develop this attitude. Lives of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi and Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa are very good reads.

CASE 2:

if you really do not have time... you have lot of work ... then , may be you should plan better and slowly reduce your activities. Too many activities show an over ambitious nature which can be a problem too. So, reduce some of them and use that time for your spiritual sadhana.

Eventually, however [as one proceeds in understanding],meditation should not be one of the activities of the day, it should be the undercurrent of every activity ... so no activity is really an obstacle to it.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by shays860 View Post
    Don't know where this question fit or if the details are even particularly important but just in case... I've never stuck to my practice very well but what I try to do is read scripture for an hour and meditate for at least 20 to 40 minutes per day. There have been periods where I have stuck to this for months at a time. I used to practice in the morning before work and that worked pretty well but I recently switched to working at 5 a.m. instead of 2 p.m. and getting up an hour and a half earlier than necessary doesn't seem practical when I can barely sleep as it is. And when I get home from work I just can't motivate myself. it seems insane. How hard is reading? But there it is. Sorry if that was long winded. any advice is greatly appreciated.
    It is quite natural as long as there is attachment to this world and not enough attraction to Reality. I have faced this situation myself and this keeps recurring. We have to be patient and keep practising. My Guruji says that Satsanga (keeping in touch with like-minded people) helps. Join a group which suits you ... find a Guru (be careful and patient to choose right Guru for yourself, don't hurry in choosing a Guru) and keep in touch with the group and your Guru. This will certainly help.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information