Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Matured devotion towards Muruga
    author:....... K.IrAjA, advocate, Chennai-78
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 211-214
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamil

Of one who is shining as paramahaMsa parivrAjaka mahAsannidhAna pUjya shrI Chandrashekara SarasvatI MahAsvAmigaL, and who taking avatAra in our sacred, BhArata desham, is adored by the world today, until today, and for ever, as a mahApuruSha--that the good fortune of aDiyEn--myself, receiving such KAnchi Periya Periyavar's blessings, is a puNya I have earned. As I think about my darshans of him over many years and receiving his blessings, it seems that I am having those darshans once again today.

There is one personal big aruL--grace, aDiyEn received from that Maha Periyavar. That was the pERu--good fortune, of having got the opportunity to converse with him in ekAntam--solitude for about 40 minutes. Not only could I never forget it, but even today its remembrance gets me into spiritual shivers. My memory is that it was in 1983 that the above incident took place when KAnchi Munivar was camping in Kurnool.

aDiyen had gone for the nyAyasthala--law court's cases. Finishing them, I came and along with my wife, had darshan of KAnchi Munivar and conversed with him. The moment he saw me, he asked about my native place, and for a kShaNam--second, "You are the ahamuDaiyAn--husband, of Tiruppazhanam brahmashrI PanchApakesha shAshtrigaL's pEththi--granddaughter?"--my wife's grandfather who was the harikathA kAlakShepa chakravartin--and followed it with the inquiry, my mAmanAr--father-in-law shrI T.P.KalyANarAma shAstrigaL--"what is he doing? He too is doing bhagavat kAlakShepam?" I could not contain my surprise.

Such power of memory filled me with surprise. After this, as I told him about me, I mentioned that I was involved in Muruga-bhakti since the year 1937; that my father shrI KandasAmi aiyar, right from his young age until his last days, was doing pUja anudinam--daily, at home for shrI SubrahmaNya svAmi; and that he asked us his family members to continue do the stotra.

In addition, I told him that in 1937 in Chennai KandakOTTam I listened to the speech given by shrI RAmalingam piLLai (a school teacher) on "paripUjita panchAmRta vaNNam" (composed by PAmban svAmigaL also known as shrIlashrI shuddhAdvaita Kumara GurudAsa svAmigaL); that I had prepared myself for a long time to sing that composition doing chandam--rhythm, of it in five paNNs--rAgas; that I had classified many years ago, these vaNNams and the tiruppugazh songs of aruNagiriyAr, in some anya tAlas--different musical beats; and that I was regularly singing them on public religious occasions.

PeriyavargaL listened to all that I said with great surprise, asked me to sing some portions of those vaNNams and listened to them, and wondered, "appA! The PAmban svAmigaL you talk about, why did not my SvAminAthan (mahAmahopAdhyAya shrI SvAminAtha aiyar) tell me about him? Let it go. Even JagannAthan (KI.VA.JagannAthan) did not tell me?" When I told them thereafter that PAmban svAmigaL also did seva--service, in KAnchipuram KandakOTTam", he said, "appA! That I don't know about. I was at that time in the KumbakONa maTham. I get immense happiness to listen to for the first time, all that you tell me about." How can that mahAn's simplicity and greatness be brought in words?

With his blessings, PeriyavargaL gave me a shawl and said, "appA! My name is also SvAminAthan only! My father's name too was SubrahmaNyam! Your father's name is KandasAmi. I have myself spoken about 'svAmi' being the special epithet of SubrahmaNya svAmi. You will shine as a good Muruga-bhakta!"

By that anugraha-phala--fruits of divine favours, until today, I am doing it on many occasions as sangIta upanyAsam, of the Tiruppugazh songs and chiefly the panchAmRta vaNNams, at PAmban svAmigaL's samAdhi at TiruvAnmiyUr and in other holy places of Murugan, without expecting, asking about or receiving any sort of pratiphala--returns, doing them all only for my Atma anubhavam. MurugA sharaNam!

(About shrI PAmban svAmigaL here: http://murugan.org/bhaktas/pamban_swami.htm)

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Jnana Deepam
    Author: P.M.Jayasenthilnathan, Kanchipuram (in Tamil)
    Compiler: T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    Source: Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 1, pages 66-72
    Publisher: Vanathi Padhippaham

Jagatguru Sri MahaswamigaL is a God who took form and walked and lived among us in our times. He lived, shrinking his oon and swelling his inner light and poured on us the insatiable nectar of Ananda. Spending most of his time inside his 'mena' (palanquin), he served for the welfare of this world.

MahaswamigaL's power of memory is very big. It was his speciality to keep every little thing keenly in his mind and express it at the right time. We shall recollect an incident here.

This sage was a cherisher of nature and solitude. He liked staying in places such as open sheds and choultries, shades of trees and roadside places during his yAtrA.

He was touring in Andhra Pradesh state once. He stayed in a shed on the roadside. A devotee came in a car to have darshan of Sri Maha SwamigaL.

"My name is Kalyanam. I am appellate authority in the customs department. I belong to the Thanjai district. Lots of problems in my family; no peace of mind. Only Periyavaa should solve them. Which is why I have come for darshan."

Periyavar asked him to sit down and heard his family problems. Then, raising both his hands, blessed
    and sent him, giving him a fruit.

One or two years passed. Spring came up in the life of Kalyanam. His problems were solved and peace returned. He came back to thank the sage, who was in his yAtrA at that time too. The man had darshan of PeriyavargaL on the way, lowered the burden of his mind on the sage's feet and stood happily.

"Because of PeriyavargaL my family lives in peace. I want to submit some offering to SriMaTham." PeriyavargaL laughed and said, "Need not offer anything now" and sent him. Kalyanam returned half-heartedly.

Several years passed. maha kumbhAbhiSekam arrangements for Thillai Peruman were being made.

I was asked to come to SriMaTham one morning. Thiru T.N.Krishnamoorthy, who was the SriKaryam of SriMaTham at that time, and I went and stood before Maha SwamigaL. Sitting inside his palanquin, he was giving us orders on the tasks to be done at the time of kumbhAbhiSekam, which included Tirumurai Music, Tirumurai Seminar, reciting Tiruvacakam completely, and the children of dIkSitAs reciting Shambhu Natana Stotra.

A man came. Periyavar asked him to sit with us. The man who had come was Kalyanam, the arbitrator.

Periyavar asked him, "You met me on this day at this place (giving him the details), you remember it?" The man was astonished. When reminded of his second darshan, the man somewhat recollected the details and nodded his head.

"Are you fine now? You wanted to give money to the MaTham! Can it be given now?"

"I shall give it now definitely, no problem," said Kalyanam.

"That money is not needed for the MaTham. It is kumbhAbhiSekam time at Thillai for Nataraja. I have instructed these people about the tasks needed to be done there. You give your money for those tasks and get them done. Let that money go to Nataraja. You discuss with them and come back."

The three of us came out, discussed the details and went back to him. Maha SwamigaL was also happy and bade us farewell with a smile.

To bring to memory in those few minutes, the details of a meeting that took place many years back, and fulfil at the right time a man's wish made long back, chanelling for service to Nataraja Peruman -- it only brings amazement to think about the loftiness of such act of blessing, such divine welfare and divine feeling.

The prevision of knowing before it happens is a jnana puNya gifted to him. "maunam enbathu jnana varambu" -- 'silence is the boundary of knowledge' is the axiom of wisemen. To remain without speech is the border of knowledge. Maha SwamigaL was the book of silence. He did japam for an hour daily, remaining silent. That silence was total, with no stirring of a limb, like a log dropped on the ground--kASTa maunam. A timepiece would have been placed before him but that was just for its own sake, for when the sage finished his meditation and opened his eyes, a precise time of an hour would have passed. On occasions, this silence would continue for hours--even days. Only Shivam knew his cittam.

If it necessitated to communicate when he remained silent, he would do it using signs. He would also dissolve his silence and give his grace when a situation warranted it. Only his mind was the scale that decided what those situations were.

Another Incident

A school for the visually challenged, functions in Poonamalle. A teacher from this school came and had darshan of Maha SwamigaL who was then staying in Sivasthanam. He prayed to SwamigaL, "I am planning to bring the school children next Sunday to have Periyavar's darshan. Those children have no eyesight. So they can't have a darshan of PeriyavargaL with their eyes. So PeriyavargaL should talk to them a few words and bless them. I have come to inform this proposal, I want anugraham." Maha SwamigaL heard his words with his holy ears, that was all to it, and the man went away.

On the morning of the next Sunday, that teacher brought the visually challenged children for Periyavar's darshan, in a chartered bus, which was parked outside. An assistant of the sage said, "Periyavar observes silence since yesterday." That was all! There was no limit to the distress of the teacher. He cried openly and slapped his head. A sight that moved the onlookers.

"Alas! These children have no eyesight! They can't see PeriyavargaL! Only if a few words are spoken they could hear them and be happy. Even if Periyavar does not talk to us, we would have a darshan of him and go away. What would these children do? It was only for these children that I came last week and prayed. Now I have become a maha paavi who has disappointed them!" The teacher sobbed again and again.

An unexpected situation. PeriyavargaL came out from his room and signed to the teacher to stop his wailing. He asked for a wooden plank to be placed near the well and sat on it. His silence dissolved. He called each and every child near him, patiently inquired the name, place and the reason for the loss of vision, and blessed the child. The children had Periyavar's anugraham for a full hour. He gave a big plate of fruits, raisins and suger lumps to the teacher, asking him to distribute them to the children.

Everyone was immensely pleased with this anugraham. The teacher knew no bounds for his joy. He cried even now. Cried in distress earlier, in joy now.

Even today it overwhelmes the heart with joy to think about the incident when Maha SwamigaL appreciated the needs of the visionless children and dissolved his vow of silence to bless them with words--a silence that he did not give up even for President V.V. Giri or Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.

Maha SwamigaL is a jnana deepam that never goes off. Let us pray to the flame of light to guide us on our path.

Glossary:
    Ananda - pure happiness
    oon - (Tamil) meet, body

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

The Mystic Who Dazzled the Western Professors
    author:..... Dr. Padma Subramanyam, 'Nrutyodaya', Chennai
    compiler:... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    book:......... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 2, pages 231-235
    publisher:.. Vanathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)

A few years back some Russian and American professors, who came to Chennai, had darshan of Maha SwamigaL.

In the year 1987, Soviet Union celebrated the Indian Cultural Festival. It was my custom to write research papers related to our culture and tradition and show it to PeriyavargaL. We took one such blessed paper to hand over to Professor Ribekov, the President of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Oriental Studies in Moscow. The only picture that adorned his room was of the Kanchi Periyavar! What wonder, he had not even seen SwamigaL in person until then. He said, 'When I come to Chennai--one, I should meet the Kanchi sage and converse with him and two, I want a valampuri shaN^khu (a conch with threads going clockwise)'.

After some years, Ribekov came to Chennai. We went to Kanchi with him. As we entered the MaTham, they said, "No darshan today, PeriyavargaL has fever."

The man who came with me had noted down the questions he had in his mind and were seeking answers for them. When it seemed that we would be disappointed, somebody came and told us, "Periyavaa asked me to bring you people to him." A crowdless, private darshan for us.

PeriyavargaL, who was lying down, got up and silently looked at the newcomer. Within minutes, tears of joy started issuing out of the man who came to meet the sage. No one talked, it was very silent. At length Periyavar himself talked to me: "Tell him to ask whatever questions he has to." Ribekov said, "I got the answers even without asking them." He could not get around to speak anything more.

PeriyavargaL: Though Sanskrit is seen mixed in the Russian language, is it there in the dialect spoken in the extreme north of that country?" Ribekov was taken aback. "It is true, it is not so," he said.

PeriyavargaL: Your country has the name Rishivarsham. The reason was, it was only there that Rishis like Yajnavalkya established a Vedic research centre.

The sage gave us many more such details and made us go ecstatic. When we took leave of him, Ribekov told the sage, "What should I do to become a Hindu?"

"Even without doing anything you are a Hindu."

Not satisfied, he said, "I would rather have a Hindu name." Looking at us and laughing, PeriyavargaL said, "With a white beard this man has the look of a Rishi. Let him have the name 'Rishi'." Ribekov was immensely happy. Rishi (Ribekov) has now started a branch of the Ramakrishna MaTham in Moscow.

Professor Robinson was the President of the South Carolina University, U.S.A. He was trained in Greek philosophy.

A team of professors from many departments of some of the universities of the U.S.A. came to Chennai.

I told Robinson, "You must go to Kanchi and have darshan of Periyavar." That was all! His eyes blossomed. He narrated the wonderful story of their visit to Kanchi on the very same day. They roamed Kanchi in small groups, knowing nothing about Sankara MaTham or PeriyavargaL. Robinson and two others came accidentally opposite the entrance to Sankara MaTham. They entered, thinking it was a temple. He narrates what happened there, himself:

"The cot was a charpoy fitted with ropes. A man of matured old age was sitting on it. A large crowd around him. We did not understand anything. Suddenly a boy came running to us. 'Are you from America?' he asked us. Surprised, we said 'Yes.' There was absolutely no chance that anyone there would know us. The next question stunned us. 'Who is Professor Robinson among you? I have orders only to bring him to the sage.'

"I had darshan of Periyavar. He asked me to sit near him. That was all! I was not conscious of the passing of them thereafter!" Robinson was unable to continue talking, overwhelmed by tears of joy. I understood that the one who said it did not see and the only that saw it did not say.

(This same Robinson, when he came to the American Embassy in Chennai in April-May 1994, rang up Dr. Padma Subramanyam and inquired, "Is Maha SwamigaL fine?" When he was told that Sri SwamigaL had attained siddhi, he had asked, "Is it on January 8th or 9th?"

"How do you know it so correctly?" Dr. Padma had asked him.

Robinson replied in a voice choked with emotion, "On that day Maha Periyavaa gave me darshan (in a vision), said 'Goodbye' thrice and disappeared... If I told this news to anyone in our place, they wouldn't be able to understand it, which was why I couldn't verify it with anyone here.")

The daughter of the RajaMata (queen) of Greece is now the Queen of Spain. Her name is Sophia. She had aparimita bhakti (limitless devotion) towards Kanchi Periyavar like her mother. The entire Royal family had surrendered to our Periyavar, considering him their divine guru. When the sage was in Uttara Chidambaram Satara for many months, Queen Sophia had come and stayed there for four days and had darshan. When we visited Spain some years after for a dance programme, Queen Sophia called us to her palace. We were immersed in a reception mixed with love and respect.

"How could a Chakravartini (Empress) like you stay in a hotel that did not even have a room with an attached bath?"

"We would even stay in a hut to have darshan of Kanchi Periyavar. I would walk on the street! Only when I have darshan of him, I really live my days. At other times, somehow I just breathe. All this environment is not permanent; only the joy of having his darshan is real and permanent."

It seemed to me more appropriate to call him JaganMata, rather than JagatGuru.

--viShNu purANam

'Stay with me!'
    author:....... R.NatarAjan, TiruvaNNAmalai
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 215-220

I came to KAnchi in the year 1954 to serve in the KAnchipuram Municipality High School. A place that was strange to me. My father's maternal uncle was the mudrAdhikAri of ShrIMaTham in Chingleput; obtaining a letter from him I came to KAnchipuram. Going straight to ShrIMaTham, I met shrIkAryam shrI C.S.VisvanAtha aiyar. My age at that time was twenty-one years. I was very lean, wearing a four-cubit dhoti.

I stood before shrI ParamAchAryaL and bowed to him. As he had received information from the Manager, he asked me with compassion, "When are you going to report for duty? Where are you going to stay?"

"I am going to report today itself", I said and stopped there. Five minutes of silence. Then the uttaravu--orders, came: "You stay in ShrIMaTham. Except during the school time, be with me." There was no limit to my happiness: such a fortune?, I wondered.

Keeping my trunk and bed at one side in a room, and wearing the school dress, I did namaskAram to shrI MahA SvAmigaL. Raising his hand, shrI SvAmigaL blessed me, "You will be well."

Going (to school) at 7:30 every morning, I would be back at 5:00 in the evening. After that only shrI PeriyavAL seva--service. I was required to read the newspapers such as 'The Hindu' at night. At intervals, I needed to reply to the questions that PeriyavAL might ask me. He would ask me about the lessons I took in the class. It was a daily 'test' for me.

On the third day of my joining duty, an interview from the TamilnADu government came for me. The job was that of the 'kAdi inspector'. I was somewhat tempted (to take it). Had I gone to that job, I would have (now) retired in the minimum as a Deputy Director. How to inform this matter to shrI PeriyavAL? I told the Senior Manager, but he did not like my accepting the offer. That night with great apprehension I informed shrI ParamAchAryaL about this news. Looking keenly at me, he said, suddenly lifting his right hand, "You be here. You will be well." That was all, I did not inform anyone about the interviews that came thereafter. That single AshIrvAda--blessing, became the mUlakAraNam--root cause, of the distinction, fame and awards I obtained in my work as a school teacher.

For four years from 1954-1958, I had the fortune of serving shrI MahA SvAmigaL by staying near him. What affection! What compassion! What love! They can't be explained in words. He would call me only 'NatarAju' with affection. If it was 9 o'clock in the night, "pOy sApTTu vA--go have your meal", he would say. My meal was arranged in ShrIMaTham itself. The third kAla--session, pUjA on some days would start at 9:30 in the night and end at 11:00. Only a very few people would be present for the occasion, me among them.

1954 March 22. The dawn of the golden time of Shankara MaTham. Yes! The day my GurunAthar was elected MaThAdhipati and took charge. The day of distinction when the mere shrI SubrahmaNyan was crowned as the 69th PIThAdhipati of ShrIMaTham with a new nAmam 'shrI Jayendra Sarasvati'. When the festivity that took place in the SarvatIrtham was over, and both the PeriyavargaL were waking towards shrI KAmAkShi Amman temple, I had the rare fortune of conversing with shrI Jayendrar. What followed it? Only that I became one of the principal disciples of shrI Jayendra Sarasvati SvAmigaL, known as shrI Pudu PeriyavAL, which continues to date. Fifty years since I became a disciple: to say that I am the senior-most disciple can't be an overstatement.

shrI ParamAchAryAL shaped shrI Jayendrar for the new responsibilities with love, and strictness at the same time. When I was not with shrI ParamAchAryAL, I would be with shrI Pudu PeriyavAL. Until 12 or even 1 o'clock at night, we would converse about many things. Such an experience I got for 21 years. I consider this as a great fortune I got in my life.

How many rare incidents when I was with shrI MahAsvAmigaL!

It was in 1963 I think. The camp was at Mylapore. Nearly, 10,000 people had come for the darshan. Finishing his puja, shrI Periyavar himself blessed the devotees with tIrtham. When a middle-aged woman stretched her hand to get the tIrtham, he said, "The child is crying. Go give back the chain and come", and said to me, "You go with her, get the chain from her, return it (to the owner) and then come back." I was greatly surprised. At a distance was a woman crying, her child at her hip. The woman I lead to her, took a chain from her lap and gave it to that mother. Limitless happiness on the face of the mother. When it was told that only shrI SvAmigaL sent that guilty woman, every one was surprised and happy.

Another incident: I think in 1965. A dampati--husband-wife, who had married recently. The man was aged 23 years, and was working in the Postal Department. The woman was aged 19 years. That young man would suddenly be affected with mental illness and would run hither and thither in ShrIMaTham. Learning that if he is given the tIrtha-prasAdam blessed by shrI PeriyavAL for one maNDalam--41 days, he would get well, the woman brought him daily for the puja.

Fifteen days would have passed by. shrI PeriyavargaL, who gave tIrtham daily to him in his hand, on that particular day, without giving it so, did prokShaNam--sprinkle, on his head and went inside without giving tIrtham to anyone else further. The boy suddenly escaped the clutches of his wife and came running in the RAjavIdhi, his wife followed him swiftly. He went and jumped into the well in the house where the dampati was residing. His wife could not stop him. A distressful event, and the wife kept wailing continuously. Before the people from the fire-fighting squad could climb down the well, he was dead.

That night, shrI ParamAchAryAL suddenly looked at the people around him and asked, "Is that boy's kAryam--rites, over?" Only then it was understood that shrI SvAmigaL sprinkled the water on his head as he found that the boy's destiny was over.

I went for darshan on the day in 1964 when I had written my M.A. examinations and the results were to be published. Unexpectedly, he gave me a suger-lump. I had not told him anything. The results had come in the newspaper 'The Mail', an eveninger, and I had passed the exams. When I went for darshan in the night, "You have passed?" he asked. I was dumbfounded for a minute: keeping all these shaktis within him, how simple and sahaja--natural, is he, I wondered. Just the look of grace from shrI PeriyavargaL would be enough. All our distresses would fly away.

I also had the opportunity of attending the festivities of shrI BAla PeriyavargaL taking charge (as the 70th PIThAdhipati).

It is thus my pUrva-janma-puNya--merits of previous births--the fortune of my being a priya shiShya--affectionate disciple, of all the three PeriyavargaL.

Today, under the Ajna--orders, of shrI Jayendrar, I am serving as the mudrAdhikAri since 1995 in KAnchi MaTham, TiruvaNNAmalai, and doing service to establish a branch of shrI Shankara MaTham there.

Those four years when I could do service to shrI ParamAchAryAL with great bhakti--devotion, remaining closely with him, are the unforgettable puNya dinas--days of meritorious acts, in my life.

--viShNu purANam

Veda rakShaka (Guardian of Vedas)
    author:...... P. Ramakrishnacharya, Rig veda adhyApaka, Mantralayam
    book:......... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 1, pages 169-176
    publisher:.. Vanathi Padhippaham (Aug 2006 Edition)

My father is VajpeyayAji J. Padmanabhacharya. I have four brothers born with me. My father is one who has immense bhakti shraddhA (devotion and faith) with Sri Sri ParamacharyaaL; one who made a complete adhyayanam (study) of the Rig Veda.

We were living in Kumbakonam. At that time, Maha PeriyavaaL called my father and said, "Currently there are no agnihotris among Madhvas. So you take up daily performance of agnihotram." Accordingly, my father took adhyayana and became a nityAgnihotri.

Some years passed by. One day my father was doing Veda pArAyaNam (reading). Two people came from Kanchi saying that they were sent by Sri SwamigaL. They informed that it was PeriyavaaL's orders that my father should take up position as the Rig Veda adhyApaka (teacher) of the Veda Bhavanam in Calcutta and do purohitam (priestly ministration) to the Madhva population there. In accordance with PeriyavaaL's orders, my father went to Calcutta, taking my elder brother with him. He remained as the Rig Veda adhyApaka in the Veda Bhavanam there and was doing vaidIkam to the Madhava population there. After four or five years, in 1968, my elder brother died in a bus accident in Calcutta.

Maha PeriyavaaL had asked us to come to the Vijayawada satas (Vedic conference). When we met him there he directed us to give up the stay at Calcutta and remain in the Kaveri tIra (banks). So we came to SirugamaNi Agraharam. There Srimaan Venkatesa Aiyer helped us with a free house and monthly supplies of paddy in order that my father could continue his living there teaching in the Veda Pathashala and doing agnihotam.

nityAgnihotram, ishti, somayajnam--all these rituals were performed in an orderly way. By PeriyavaaL's anugraha, several Madhva vidyArthis (students) entrolled through the Veda Rakshana Nidhi Trust, studied and passed the examinations. Even today, SirugamaNi Veda Pathashala is going on. My younger brother ParasuRaman is the adhyApaka there.

After my father completed performence of the Vajapeya Yajna at Erode, we had gone to Mahakhan with our family for darshan of PeriyavaaL. We told the SriMaTham assistants there that we had come for PeriyavaaL's darshan after finishing the Vajapeya Yajna. But then Maha PeriyavaaL sent us back with the words, "Ask them to get back to their residence." We all went back and stayed in the choultry nearby with tears in our eyes that we could not get darshan of PeriyavaaL for some reason. After an hour passed, a retinue with an elephant, horse, chAmaram (large fan), Veda ghoSaNam (loud chanting) and musical instruments, came. They said, "Someone who has done a Yajna has come to stay here. PeriyavaaL has sent the Sandur Samastana Maharaja to bring them to him with family." Unable to think further, we felt shocked with too much happiness.

With the Sama Veda ghoSaNam, Calcutta Sankara Narayana ShrautigaL escorted us. The Maharaja of Sandur took my father in a procession, holding a large umbrella to him. When we reached PeriyavaaL's camp, he told us all, "Why do you all have the pain at heart? Why these tears? The Dharma Shastra ordains us to witness those who have done the Vajapeya Yajna with royal honours under a white umbrella. It was only to see you all in such honours that I sent you back." He gave us the umbrella held by the Sandur Maharaja, spoke to us for two hours and sent us with his anugraha, removing all our unhappiness. This is an ever unforgettable incident in our life.

I am working as the adhyApaka of the Pathashala in Erode managed by the Veda Rakshana Nidhi Trust. In the meantime I got a job in the Tirupathi Tirumala Devasthanam. Before going there I had darshan of Sri PeriyavaaL in Belgaum. Though I stayed there for two days, I could not get Periyavaa's guidance, for he was in kASTa maunam (complete silence of body and mind).

Two days later, I told PeriyavaaL about the Tirupathi offer. He advised me, "Madhvas would study tarkam, vyakaraNam (logic and grammar). They won't do Veda adhyayanam. Therefore, you need not go to Tirupathi; remain teaching Vedas to the Madhva students. Vedas will protect you."

Accordingly, today I have taught complete Vedas to Madhva students in Mantralaya and sent 45 students prepared for the examination at Kanchi. If Madhvas are doing Veda adhyayanam, the reason for it is only PeriyavaaL.

My brother ParasuRaman is teaching Vedas to Madhva students at SirugamaNi through the Veda Rakshana Nidhi Trust. PeriyavaaL sent our another brother Damodaran who had completed Veda and Vedanta to study Dvaita Vedanta at Bombay Vidya Peetam. After finishing his study of Vedanta there, he now does adhyayanam to Madhva students in Erode, in a Pathashala he founded there.

Only Veda Mata and Kanchi PeriyavaaL keep doing the rakSaNam (protection) of the three of us brothers and our families.

Further if today my brother ParasuRaman is alive, only Sri Sri Maha PeriyavaaL's anugraha is its reason. Already when we were in Calcutta he had problems with his heart in 1968. We showed him to the cardiologists in large cities like Calcutta, Chennai and Bombay. Everyone of them advised immediate surgery for him, or else he wouldn't be alive beyond a year; they also recorded their advice in video cassettes and gave us. I informed all this news in detail to Maha PerivaaL in Kanchi. He directed, "Nothing (of surgery) is needed. Let him do daily and full pArAyaNa of the 41 shlokas of Dhanvantari and Vayustuti and do the homam." He did the japa-homam for many years accordingly. After that whenever we met Maha PeriyavaaL he would ask him, "You continue to recite Vayustuti?" After a long period of 20 years he gave him permission for surgery, which was done at the Apollo Hospital in Chennai in the year 1989. By Maha PeriyavaaL's grace he remains today without any problems, as the Rig Veda adhyApaka in SirugamaNi. Owing to Paramacharya's anugraha, Tiru. V.P. Raghavendra Rao met the surgery expenses for us.

During the time I was adhyApaka in Erode Veda Rakshana Nidhi Trust, Maha PeriyavaaL ordered kannikAdAnam of my daughter in the Kanchi Sannidhanam. My daughter was only nine years old; I had arranged for the kannikAdAnam and for the Kalyana Mandapam.

There were many objections to it. When it was hardly twenty days for the marriage, the officials of the Kalyana Madapam told us, "The girl is only nine years old. If any press reporter from the adjacent street here reports it, there would be problems from the police the Mandapam. So we can't give you the Mandapam."

I went to Kanchipuram and supplicated this to PeriyavaaL. Paramacharya sent a person from SriMaTham with me to the house of Ramadurai Aiyer of Ayalur near Tiruchi. We detailed Ramadurai Aiyer about Paramacharya's directions for our daughter's marriage. Ramadurai Aiyer informed us, "Ten years back Maha PeriyavaaL told me 'I would send a kanya to you. You perform the kannikAdAnam rites for her.' I am very happy that he remembered me after ten years and sent this girl." He conducted the marriage following the Madhva Sampradayam in a grand manner.

ParamacharyaL continues to give his anugraha to our family and do his rakSaNam of it. The three of us get Rs.600/- every month from the Niyama Adhyayana Trust of Kanchi MaTham, doing the Niyamaadhyayanam through the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Veda Rakshana Nidhi Trust, holding the pUrva bhAga parIkSA (entry level examinations).

We did our pUrNa adhyayanam from our father, in accordance with Kanchi SwamigaL's orders, through the Gurukula system doing bhikSAcaryam. In the same way, we have currently started the adhyayanam of our kumAras (sons) too and teach them following the orders of Kanchi SwamigaL. We all pray that Veda Mada's blessings and the anugraha of Kanchi pIThAdhipatis will always be there for our family.

Glossary:
    satas - assembly, equality.

--viShNu purANam

Generation Gap
    author:...... N. Ramaswamy, Secunderabad
    book:......... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 3, pages 010-016
    publisher:.. Vanathi Padhippaham (Dec 2005 Edition)

When Maha SwamigaL was staying near Belgaum in Karnataka, I went with my family for darshan.

When my father prostrated to PeriyavaaL, the sage's personal attendant introduced my father with the words, "He is the father of Hubli Ramaswamy." (I was then working as an official in the Hubli Railway Division. The SriMaTham assistants had given me the title 'Hubli Ramaswamy').

"Your name, isn't it Narayanan?", when Periyavaa asked "yes", said my father.

Then I prostrated. The same attendant introduced me as "Swaminathan's father."

The usual inquiries, questions, answers, tidings about the native place. Ten minutes passed by.

Looking at me, Periyavaa asked with a smile, "You are a big labour officer, right? They say 'generation gap' in English, what is it?"

I told him something but I was aware myself that it was not the correct explanation. Finally, when I finished talking, that Mahaan told:

"When they introduced someone in the olden days, they would say, 'he is the son of so and so. Those who wore pUnUl (sacred thread) would start with 'abhivadaye', inform their 'gotram', 'sUtram', 'nAmam' and introduce themselves. Look, how all that has changed now! The inverse way of saying as 'so and so is so and so's father' has come up now. This is the 'generation gap'!."

PeriyavaaL'e explanation surprised those around him who were well versed in English!

I waited for two hours for the darshan, but couldn't have it. Since waiting any longer would affect my office work (I had come to the nearby junction to do the inspection), with a kumbidu (joining palms in reverence) from staying afar, I went to attend my work.

Two hours later, an assistant from SriMaTham came to the railway station and told me that Periyavaa had asked him to bring me.

"Tell me exactly what Periyavaa told you."

"Go and look in the Satara station. That Ramaswamy would be doing the inspection there. Ask him to come", he said.

Finishing my work in a hurry, I went for the darshan. In a bid to seek his pardon, "Periyavaa was very busy. I could not get back to my headquarters without finishing the work, (or else) my higher officials would shout at me...", I started.

Periyavaa did not seem to mind my reply at all. "What do you want?" he asked me.

At that time, there was only one problem in my mind--my daughter's marriage.

"My daughter should get married in a good place. Appa is much pestering me. He too sends the jAtakam (horoscope) to many people, asking for the varan jAtakam (horoscope of the boy). Most people don't reply. The horoscopes that arrived did not match..."

"Only that? Alright, go. I shall conduct your daughter's marriage."

This clear reply astonished me. 'I shall conduct...'

It seemed that a rain of ice was showered on me. Only those who encountered such unexpected attack of pleasure can understand my position then. Thinking no further, in a naive way I asked him at once, "satyamAgach cholReLA (you say it in truth)?"

Such a question to the satya svarUpam! (Thinking about it even now gives me shivers.)

The karuNai vaLLal (patron of compassion) smiled slowly. That was all. This incident at that time wasn't recorded deep in my mind.

Going back home, I got immersed in my work. Two months later, a letter came from Mumbai. The reply with the horoscope of the boy, to the letter my father wrote sometime back that was not in memory.

The horoscopes were in agreement. With the other formalities finished, the marriage also took place.

A gap of over two years.

SriMaTham camp in Kurnool.

Myself, my daughter and her child went for darshan of Periyavaa.

Keeping the child at PeriyavaaL's feet under his graceful look, we were replying to his inquiries. (The child meantime went to sleep.)

After Periyavaa gave prasAdam, I took leave with my daughter and walked four or five steps back.

It seemed that Periyavaa called us back with a snap of his finger. We turned back.

"How am I to do rakSaNa (protect) of this child, keeping it in the MaTham? Take it away!"

We were overwhelmed with embarrassment. In the pErAnanda (great joy) of PeriyavaaL's darshan, we totally forgot about the child!

My daughter ran and took the child in her arms. Periyavaa then told SriKaNtan, his assistant nearby, "Ask him if it is satisfactory for Ramaswamy."

We did not understand. Why such a question now? We are only taking leave in happiness?

We could not reply.

"Ask what his daughter's name is."

"Uma!", I said.

"mAppiLLai pEru (the bridegroom's name)?"

"Sadasivan..."

"Alright... you should not blame me. I have conducted the marriage only after taking care of the peyar poruttham ('matching of the names)!"

Tears poured down my eyes. Such a power of remembrance? Such an anugraham? The puNya (merits) of a kOti janmam (one crore births) would perhaps fructify collectively in this way.

1985. Kanchipuram SriMaTham.

Prostrating, I got up.

"yAru (who is that)?... Hubli Ramaswamy? Where do you come from? Only from Madras?"

"From Vijayawada I come. My work is only there now..."

"It is not so... only from Madras?"

Thinking that what I said earlier did not reach PeriyavaaL's holy ears, I said in a slightly louder voice, "From Vijayawada...should come only through Madras..."

"No... You have come from only Madras", said Periyavaa.

With no inclination to argue it further with PeriyavaaL I received the prasAdam and came to Chennai. I had some work there. Ringing up my higher official by phone I asked him for a week's leave.

He said: "Ramaswami! Here is a bombshell... you are transferred to Madras!..."

"Sir, I had not asked transfer for Madras, only for Secunderabad..."

"Sorry. You are to be relieved tomorrow. Go to Vijayawada immediately and get relieved tomorrow."

I did as told.

A copy of my transfer orders to Chennai--would it have gone to PeriyavaaL's hands before it reached me?

"No... You have come from only Madras"--in that minute when Periyavaa said it, I had been an official in Chennai only.

All we can do is just only one thing. And that is to transfer all our burderns to PeriyavaaL, without worrying for anything!

--viShNu purANam

namaste everyone.

Today (14 vai. 5111 Kali aka 28 May 2010 CE) is the day of vaishAkha anurAdha nakShatra (vaikAsi anusham), the 117th jayanti of KAnchi ParamAchArya. Here is a simple bhajan to sing his glory:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXSHq0na6U

Here are some links to books compiled out of his teachings:
    Hindu dharma: the universal way of life
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/8591806/Hindu-Dharma-Kanchi
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/21581029/H...al-Way-of-Life

Advaita Sadhana: kAnchi mahA svAmigaL
    http://www.advaita.org.uk/discourses...ds/sadhana.pdf

and his biography:
    chandrasekharendra: charitam: sAmbamUrti
    http://www.srikanchimahaswami100.org..._2__1_edit.pdf

--viShNu purANam

'What Does Sir Stafford Crips Say?'
    author:...... Naduvakkarai A. NarayanaSwamy Aiyer
    book:......... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 2, pages 244-251
    publisher:.. Vanathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)

My father Alangudi Apathsakayam Aiyer was a 'slave' of PeriyavaaL. In the 1920s, while remaining in his post of the Village Officer of UmaMaheswaraPuram taluk, he presided over the Civil Disobedience and Refusal to Pay Taxes Movement initiated by Mahatma Gandhi, and was dismissed from service for having conducted the movement in the Kumbakonam and Papanasam taluks.

Then he became a journalist and ran a magazine called Gramaanukulan. Since he was also a Congress worker, he was made to suffer in many ways resulting in financial losses. Sri Maha PeriyavaaL was the kaNkaNda Deivam (God seen with one's own eyes) to him in those days, supporting him with blessings and some financial help from the MaTham, supporting his writings with money and advice, introducing him to some wealthy people and enabling him to run his family affairs. It was said that generally PeriyavaaL was fond of journalists and that he used to make them stay in the MaTham and given a meal, sometimes personally attending to them by visiting the dining place.

It was PeriyavaaL who wore the katar as kaavi! (handspun cotton cloth as a saffron cloth by dyeing it with saffron colour).

Eighteen years later, in 1938 when Rajaji became the Chief Minister of Madras Presidency, he passed orders for restoring the old VO post to my father. Our family, which was in Agnatha Vasam having lost everything, once again returned to our village.

Around the year 1950, PeriyavaaL camped in our village for some days. The entire village was happy, countless devotees visiting it, and wore a festive look.

It is in our village that the river Kaveri separates into the Kaveri and VeeraCholan rivers. To reach the Kaveri waters, one needs to cross the waters of VeeraCholan. The area in between the rivers would look as green as in Kerala, studded with coconut, banana and many other large trees. It would be a park of peace. A large banyan tree could be seen spreading its branches across, half over the land and half over the Kaveri waters. The beauty of the Kaveri waters filtering along the sand under its shades was an attraction for PeriyavaaL. He would go there daily in the mornings, sit on the expanse of the river-washed sands and do silent tapas; he would also have his snAna, japam (bath and prayers) there for hours together. It was a difficult task to cross the waist high waters of VeeraCholan to reach that spot. Women couldn't venture it. Nevertheless, a crowd of devotees would assemble there. Then, returning to the MaTham camp, there would be puja and darshan festivities till late night.

What about the darshan people had? Women and men taking their turns in separate queues would look strange! Some people talked that it was to avoid the crowd that PeriyavaaL sought ekAnta (solitude) on the spot between the rivers.

One day, after the pujas were over, there was some bustle in the afternoon at the entrance to the MaTham camp. I was standing in front of our home, and rushed to see what the matter was. Two people from Kudanthai (Kumbakonam) were trying to enter the MaTham wearing their shirts and sandals, the gatekeeper was shouting at them and trying to stop them, but they wouldn't yield. With help from the people of the area, I caught them, temporarily secured them to the coconut trees and handed them over to the policemen who happened to pass that side, and sent them to the TiruvidaiMaruthur police station.

After the pujas were over on that night, PeriyavaaL sent word for me, got the details from me and asked, "Very well, but how did the policemen come there at that time?"

"Some people had appealed to the government that since I was a member of the Communist Party, I should not be allowed to hold a government job. (I was assisting my father who was a Village Officer of the nearby village at that time.) An officer from the Investigation Department had come to inquire about it. He was accompanied by two constables to identify me to him. I made use of them." As I said this, he wondered, "Is that so?"

Then he called the librarian and told him, "Tomorrow you give this man the book Six Authors About Communism that I had earlier asked you to buy." Looking at me, he gave the directions, "Read the book and tell me what it contains, within a week; if anybody asks you tell him about your reading that book."

It was a voluminous book, like a dictionary. I remember that it cost Rs.40/- when the exchange rate for a pound sterling was Rs.15/- at that time. The book was authored by Sir Stafford Crips, Anuvin Bevan, Louis Fisher and three other western experts. The very look of the book gave me the jitters. But then it was an order from PeriyavaaL! I tried hard to read the book. A week passed by. Remembering it duly, he asked me one day, "What, did you read the book? Enna solliyirukkan? (What is it that he has talked about?)"

"It is a voluminous book. I could not follow some pages of it. Could only read what Stafford Crips has written."

"Alright. What does he say?"

I said, "He says, 'All isms try to give something to mankind but Communism takes away everything from the mankind.'"

PeriyavaaL's face that asked me "You understand?" with a divine, charming smile is still fresh before my eyes.

After this incident, a change occurred in my thoughts and I gave myself in total surrender to PeriyavaaL.

After the evening puja, he would be discussing about Vedic topics with many pandits and gaNapAThis (those who recite Vedas according to a specific rule). At the centre, there would be burning two large brass standing lamps that were five feet tall. (There was no electricity then). He had given me a book to read loudly, standing under the light of the lamp, and was busy with his conversation. The discussions were intense, generating a lot of noise. While I was reading, I read 'mediation' instead of 'meditation'. PeriyavaaL laughed and said, "He is an accountant! So he reads meditation as mediation?". Then he gave an exposition on meditation for a half hour and took us all mentally through the whole Bharata kaNTam.

There was absolutely no chance that anyone could have even heard what I was reading, much less understand it, in the noisy situation that prevailed there. But then who can do what with this shatAvadhAni? (one who is simultaneously attentive to a hundred things). My mistake did reach his ears!

Within a few days the 'camp' left for Tiruvisanallur, the village of Sridhara AyyarvaaL. The SriMaTham elephant was affected with madness there. No one could control it as it severed and threw away many thatched sheds. Many houses were also damaged. Even buses and cars did not escape the elephant's wrath. The traffic came to a standstill. A person from the MaTham came to my home with the news that PeriyavaaL called me to consult about his thought whether the elephant could be intercepted and sent across the two rivers to our village. I was not at home at that time, so came to know it only later. It was very difficult to make the elephant cross the two rivers at that time in the evening. My health was also not in tune. So by the time I was ready to start to SriMaTham in the morning, I got the terrible news that the police had shot the elephant dead. I was aghast with sorrow and shame. With the pangs of the thought that I could have gone in the night itself, I went to meet PeriyavaaL.

Giving up his food and puja, and with no intention to see anyone, PeriyavaaL was sitting in solitude at the back of the MaTham. Grief was palpable everywhere. No one spoke anything; people were hesitant to approach the sage. Slowly, one by one, we went near the place where PeriyavaaL was seated. Wailing that I had done apacAram (offense), I fell at his feet. People were standing not knowing what to do. Half an hour passed in this way. Then PeriyavaaL slowly started speaking about his loss, with immense grief, and with the voice of a mother who lost her only son, a loud voice that could be heard all around, narrated about the elephant's birth, rearing, body marks, its character and other related things, ending it all with the conclusion that its lifetime was destined to be only that much, and became silent again, leaning on the wall, his entire face painted with worry and sorrow.

All of us went melting with the compassion shown, that was not just a thought of consideration for a jIvan that could not speak, but a flood of compassion for the entire world of living beings.

It is 50 years since this happened. I am now 84 years old. Even today, my heart skips a beat if I think about it.

One can see PeriyavaaL's eyes blossom at the mention of the name Alangudi (Guru Stalam). For he is the avatara of that Guru! Whatever the crowd, when he asks me 'what, from Alangudi', it will be an experience of overall melting, as ManivachakapPerumaan said, 'uLLanthAL nindru ucchi aLavum nenjAi urukatthan' (Melting away from the feet right up to the head).

--viShNu purANam

shrI MahA SvAmigaL's power of memory
    author:....... M.V.LakShmI NarasiMhAchAriyAr
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 271-274

shrI MahASvAmigaL's power of memory is one that would bring suprise. This, as yAn--myself, has known it, explain in this essay.

In the year 1952 during the month of May, on receiving the news that shrI MahAsvAmigaL was to make his sacred visit at KAnchipuram for the chAturmAsya vyAsa pUja, going pAdachAra--on foot, via ThaiyAr village, VandavAsi taluk, surrounded by his entourage of elephants, horses, bullock carts, parijana--attendants, and parivAra--followers, the public and the vEdhiyargaL--Vedic priests, of ThaiyAr thronged (to the main road), had darshan and bowed to him and did-prArthana--pray, 'after svAmi pUja today you might visit KAnchipuram in the evening.'

Giving the dravya--substances, needed for the puja, paddy-straw for the cattle of the carts, and plant sprout varieties for the elephants, the people of the village did-ArAdha--paid homage very well, to shrI MahASvAmigaL and his parivAram. shrI MahASvAmigaL too happily accepted it and blessed the people of the village.

shrI MahASvAmigaL's flood of compassion spread among the village people. Looking at the bhaktas--devotees, who honoured him with bhakti-shraddha--sincerity of devotion, shrI MahASvAmigaL ordered them, "If there are any veda shAstra vidvAns in this village, bring them to us."

It was at that time that aDiyEn--I/this man, (MElmar LakShmI NarasiMhan), had come (to the place) after studying NyAya-shAstram in the Ahobila maTham samSkRta kalAshAlA--university, at MadurAntakam, and appearing for the shiromaNi parIkSha--examination, in the Chennai University. The agrahAra-vasis--residents of agrahAram, introduced aDiyEn in the sannidhi of shrI MahASvAmigaL; aDiyEn worshipped him by prostrating. With aDiyEn, shrI MahASvAmigaL did kushala-prasnam--inquiry of health and welfare, in saMsRtam itself.

Since MahASvAmigaL was observing mauna-vratam--vow of silence, questions were asked by writing on a slate. Doing-parIsha--testing, of aDiyEn in the kusumAnjali of NyAya-shAstra, with great santoSham--happiness, he offered vEShTi--dhoti, fruits, and phala-mantrAkShata to aDiyEn and blessed. He also gave aDiyEn an AhvAnam--invitation, "You participate in the vyAsa pUja vidvat sadas that will be held in KAnchipuram."

During 1963-64, shrI MahASvAmigaL came to TiruvaNNAmalai, doing saMchAram--an ascetic's wandering, through out the way. That time, along with shrI MahASvAmigaL, my friend in Shankara maTham, shrImAn MaNi shAstrigaL too had come. In a chance happening, he met me at the TiruvaNNAmalai temple, conversed with me, made me have darshan of shrI MahA PeriyavAL and introduced me to shrI MahASvAmigaL.

A question that shrI MahASvAmigaL asked me then, amazed me. It stunned me speechless for a second. The question that shrI MahASvAmigaL asked me was, "I had asked you in 1952 at ThaiyAr village, to come for the vidvat sadas to be held in the vyAsa pUja at KAnchipuram, why did you not turn up?" Only then my submitting-daNDam--prostrating, to him in person at ThaiyAr came to my mind. Whereas for shrI MahASvamigaL, the thought about me had stayed in his smRti--memory, for a long time. Since I was aparAdhin--one who has done something wrong, I stood without replying anything. 'What a wonder, shrI MahASvAmigaL's ninaivATRal--memory power!' with this Ashcharyam--surprise, speechless, my mind fluttering, as prAyashchitta--atonement, I fell neDunjchANkiDai--stretching myself out fully, and prostrated to him. I also sought his pardon for my mistake.

I became a pAtram--drinking vessel, for shrI MahASvAmigaL's kRpa-kaTAkSham--glance of compassion. To MaNi shAstrigaL shrI MahASvAmigaL ordered, "Today it is arranged for my saMchAram to KalasapAkkam. Ask him to come there at 10 o' clock tomorrow morning. Give him bus charge to come there." I hesitated a little. Looking at me, shrI MahASvAmigaL asked, "Why the hesitation?" "I don't know if they would give or refuse me leave in the school to have darshan of you. If I accept this bus charge money and couldn't come, I would again become one who has committed a mistake", I replied with disquietude.

"You meet the headmaster and explain the situation. You will get anumati--permission. Take leave now, and get the bus charge."

With the headmaster's anumati, I went to KalasapAkkam the next day to have darshan of shrI MahASvAmigaL. Since shrI MahASvAmigaL was engaged in the puja, I met ShrIMaTham shrIkAryam shrI RAmakRShNa shAstrigaL. Informing me of shrI MahASvAmigaL's niyamanam--allotment of task (for me), he made me recite the vAkyArtham--verse meanings, of shrI BhAShyam to the PeriyavAL who is sitting now in AsthAnam--assembly, in the MaTham, who gave aDiyEn as vidvat sambhAvana--honorarium, silver coins worth Rs.20, wrapped a KAshmIr shawl around me and honoured aDiyEn.

This reminiscence would remain with me without leaving my heart for vehukAlam--a long time.

--viShNu purANam

Foresight
    author:....... Ananthan, Chennai-29
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, page 275-280

During January 1966 MahASvAmigaL was camping in ElAvUr. As an invitation came from there, I went to ElAvUr and had darshan of MahASvAmigaL.

As he informed me that as an unprecedented event a mahAnADu--conference, where all the MaThAdhipatis of TamilnADu would participate was to be held in Chennai, he ordered me, "You should come with us to that mahAnADu and jot down everything that is spoken there." I carried out his orders.

That mahAnADu took place in the office building of the Commissioner of the Hindu Charitable and Endowments Board, on the dates February 6 and 7, 1966 at Chennai. All the events scheduled for the two days, both morning and evening, took place without any scope for any sort of problems arising.

On the first day of the mahAnADu, in the morning, before the conference started, MahASvAmigaL did something that removed any scope of mental tension, agony, bitterness, and ego of superiority, among the conference delegates; it eased everyone's mind and made it happy. Why, it formed the entire base for the success of the mahAnADu. Put in other words, it could also have been felt as the explanatory note of ShrIMaTham's siddhAntam--principle.

This mahAnADu was convened by the Commissioner of HR&CE. A government function. In this festivity, there was no scope for allowing anyone to sit anywhere as they pleased.

Among the MaThAdhipatis who were the delegates, as to who should be seated in the centre, what kind of seat should be provided for him, who is to be seated to his left and right--for such things, there is a Government Order. Only according to the Ranking List mentioned in that Protocol, seats were arranged in the conference hall and the names of the MaThams were also written for them.

For the starting event of the mahAnADu, MaThAdhipatis of MaThams located at TiruvAvaDuturai, Dharmapuram, ToNDaimaNDala AdhInakartas, TiruppanandAL, KAnchIpuram, Madurai, KundrakkuDi, Mayilam and so on, came one by one to partake the event. The Commissioner welcomed each of them individually according to protocol and brought them to the conference hall. KAnchi MahASvAmigaL too came. He made a survey of the arrangements in the hall with an all-round glance. He is a kalA-vittaka--expert in the art, of making sweet with his pleasant look, any tight atmosphere. With a smile crawling on his face he walked towards the seat allotted for him. All the other MaThAdhipatis too walked towards their seats.

Like one who gets into a pond to take bath would part away with his two hands, the moss that covered the water surface, and like one who would genttly dust the floor with his upper cloth before he sits there, MahASvAmigaL with his hands pushed back the seat allotted for him by the government officials, and sat on the floor at that spot.

The next moment all the other MaThAdhipatis, without sitting on the seats provided for them, sat on the floor of the conference hall. The bhUmi--ground, became the samasthAnam--seat of equivality, for everyone.

What to speak of the adhishayam--wonder, that KAnchi MahASvAmigaL, 'the jnAnamUrti who stood beyond the book of Vedas', through his foresight and subtle knowledge, demonstrated the great truth, "parampoRuL--Brahman, is only one. So what superiority is there for us who live on this earth because of our wealth, or kulam--lineage? What inferiority is there? All of us are of one kulam, one inam--species."

KAnchi shrI MahASvAmigaL was one who stood as the svarUpam--embodiment, of kalAs--arts. Artistes went to him and worshipped. He too honoured them, supporting them with great love. Many of the kalAs ran towards that kalAsAgara--ocean of arts, and did-saMgamam--merged, themselves.

During the year 1957-58, KAnchi shrI MahASvAmigaL did-vijayam-to--visited, Chennai. The vyAsapUja was performed in the Sanskrit College, Mylapore, Chennai.

After the puja of the night session, he would do upanyAsam--lecture. I would jot down in shorthand, his words of nectar without leaving out anything and then write them back in long hand. Later, they were published in (the magazine) 'KalaimagaL' under the title 'AchArya SvAmigaL upadeshangaL'.

One day, the event of shrI MahASvAmigaL visiting RAjA ANNAmalaipuram was scheduled. En route, at the junction of the Nallappan street and Adam street, we were waiting for PeriyavAL's arrival. The mEnA--palanquin, came. Giving pUrNakumbham, we bowed to PeriyavAL. Calling me suddenly, PeriyavAL asked, "nI engE ingE--How come you are here?" I pointed out to Nallppan street and said, "I am living in this street." He asked for the mEnA to proceed through our street. The kAraNam--reason, was not known. Before we could run to our house, open the doors and light the lamp, the mEnA had come there.

Calling me near him, he said, "You said you have written a book of shorthand in Tamil? Bring it, let us see."

Going inside my house, I brought the manuscript of the book and submitted it to him. Leafing through every page, showing no hurry at all, with a speck of smile lingering in his face, he glanced through that book until the last page. His face shining like a lotus flower, when he said, "As suitable for Tamil, you have written the book, relating the P in Pitman to (the Tamil alphabet) 'pa' and M to 'ma'", his subtle power of knowledge that took everything at a glance made thrilled us in ecstasy.

"Has this book been published?" he asked me. "No", I said. Taking the bhilva garland from his shiras--head, and placing it on the book, he gave it back to me.

The TamilnADu government itself published this book in 1964. Its 4th editing coming out in 1998, adding honour to Tamil and the Tamil world. Such is the power of grace of that deivam--god!

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information