Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: self inquiry

Re: self inquiry

Namaste Yajvan,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Some people with 'Self-inquiry' are looking for some 'Self' other then their own Self... as if to meet another. As if 'Self' will become an object to experience like an apple, a person, even a thought. This causes some amount of consternation. And they think I will ( with my self, lower case 's' and therefore ego based) meet this Self ( upper case 'S' and therefore Being/presence) within my ( my = ego again) field of perception. This causes all the ruckus.
    So, when it comes to Being (Self/pure awareness/presence) the mind cannot swallow this Being. It is use to the model of perceiver and perceived. It likes this relationship because it stands as the (false) owner, keeping in-control of feeding of itself. Yet it cannot bring this Being into the field of perception - how can it ? It is a bound limited entity ( I use that term loosely ); how can the limited (mind) experience the infinite ( Being) ? How can a eye dropper inhale all of the ocean ? Yet it tries and tries - because it wishes to be fed; it thinks this is a problem to be solved, so it continues to try.
    Excellent !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: self inquiry

Friends,

Q: The mind does not sink into that state even for a second.
    A: A strong conviction is necessary that `I am the Self, transcending the mind and the phenomena.'
    Q: Nevertheless, the mind proves to be an unyielding obstacle which thwarts any attempts to sink into the Self.
    A: What does it matter if the mind is active? It is so only on the substratum of the Self. Hold the Self even during mental activities.

-------------> Ramana Maharshi , Be as you are.

Its well known that Ramana uses the words "I" and "Mind" synonymously.

The idea that "I" has to vanish is also not valid... since "I" or "Mind" is a shadow (Annamalai Swami, Final Talks). A shadow need not vanish. A shadow has to be simply known as shadow. Ramana has to be understood in a holistic way!! Bits and pieces can confuse people.

Often saying "I" has to vanish only means one has to know it to be a shadow ! Some times "I" is used in the sense of identification with mind ... that is ignorance ... and in that context ignorance has to be destroyed.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information