Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finding the guru...

Re: finding the guru...

Vannakkam Yajvan et al:

Good question. In most traditions, (as far as I know) a Guru cannot become one unless there is a need in a student. In other words, someone has to say in some way, (and there would be many) "Please teach me." Only then can a Guru begin. Once that crucial point is passed, is it not like a Mother haven given birth? Is it not her duty to raise the child? So too the Guru is bound to duty.

But at that point, there was a choice. The Guru could have said, "No. I did not come here to teach."

Of course this is just my version of things. I think different sects or sampradayas may vary. I really don't know.

Also, Some Gurus are told by their Gurus to go teach. Then it is obedience to one's Guru, another duty. Perhaps both of these elements are found in many Gurus.

Regardless of the reason, I for one, am glad we have such beings on the planet, active amongst the rest of us, not sitting in caves somewhere.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    But one must ask, why? Why do these beings ( guru's) go through the effort and angst to teach the ignorant (paśu) ? Surely there are other things they could pursue, no?
    I think EM gave some good insights on this idea.
    The one that resinates with me is śrī siddharameśvara maharāj , guru of śrī nisargadatta maharāj says to him, you are myself.

For me that says the whole thing.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

you are myself.
    And...We are ultimately He.

Smaranam, that was so beautiful...

first of all i would beg forgive from all learned,respected members for what i am going to say.

what was discussed above about Guru is actually insult to Paramguru. because Guru is not bound by any rules of universe,vedas,or even dharma as whatever he does is dharma.

Guru never teaches because he is being told so by his guru,nor by our request. Just like milk oozes spontaneously from the breast of a lactating mother when she see her baby,as the Btsalya bhava(the maternal emotion which induces a hormone called Oxytocin from pituitary which push breast muscle to secret milk)......similarly Guru"s heart becomes overfilled with mercy,love and empathy whenever he saw a person suffering from earthly pain and searching a path to go above.

SRIGURUDEV is embodiment of love,empathy...Karuna-ghana bigraha....thats why he was worshiped as DAKSHINAMURTY.......always in blessing posture....barabhayadata murthy.

Guru is the loving,merciful mask of brahman....

Quote Originally Posted by anirvan View Post
    first of all i would beg forgive from all learned,respected members for what i am going to say.

what was discussed above about Guru is actually insult to Paramguru. because Guru is not bound by any rules of universe,vedas,or even dharma as whatever he does is dharma.

Guru never teaches because he is being told so by his guru,nor by our request. Just like milk oozes spontaneously from the breast of a lactating mother when she see her baby,as the Btsalya bhava(the maternal emotion which induces a hormone called Oxytocin from pituitary which push breast muscle to secret milk)......similarly Guru"s heart becomes overfilled with mercy,love and empathy whenever he saw a person suffering from earthly pain and searching a path to go above.

SRIGURUDEV is embodiment of love,empathy...Karuna-ghana bigraha....thats why he was worshiped as DAKSHINAMURTY.......always in blessing posture....barabhayadata murthy.

Guru is the loving,merciful mask of brahman....
    Anirvan, nice opinion.

I'd kindly ask you to use a more normal font if you don't mind, a little hard to read this way.

namaste,

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

But one must ask, why? Why do these beings ( guru's) go through the effort and angst to teach the ignorant (paśu) ?
    Compassion towards the pasu.
    satay

hariḥ oá¹
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We have talked often here on finding a guru. I think there is a difference between finding a guru and finding the guru.
    As I re-read Å›rÄ« nisargadatta maharÄj's words on guru, I found them to be true. He says, the only way you can judge is by the change in yourself when you are in his/her company. If you feel more at peace and happy, if you understand yourself with more then usual clarity and depth it means you have found the right person.
    I thought to add this to the conversation which was stimulated from a conversation going on now in another thread.

Ramaá¹…a mahaṛṣi said choose the one that offers/bring you peace.( this is no different then what Å›rÄ« nisargadatta maharÄj suggests). Yet he is also asked ' should we not consider his teachings (too) ?'
    Ramaṅa mahaṛṣi responds and says, he who instructs an ardent seeker to do this or that is not a true master. The seeker is already afflicted by his activities and wants peace. If the teacher tells him to do something in addition to, or in place of his other activities, can that be of help to the seeker ? Activity is creation. Activity is the destruction of one's inherent happiness.

This wisdom takes some understanding. To the casual eye it is confusing. Yet when talked though, one should be able to get the core offer what ramaṅa mahaṛṣi is suggesting.
    It is the notion of doing. Doing got us to this state, how can more doing, get us out of it ? It is like pouring gasoline on a fire. Even though it is ~like~ water ( a fluid ) it only exacerbate the flames. So, it comes to the skill of the master to teach in a way that one learns to do less and accomplish more ( my teacher's words).

What is the wisdom here ? To understand who you are and who you are not. You find out who you are by stillness, silence. Hence you are outside of activity - you are not doing more, you are not adding more fuel to the fire. This then becomes the skill of the teacher to turn down the flame step by step. This is the real master.

praṇÄm

1. consider this post, stuck in doing - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...808#post118808
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 August 2014 at 11:14 AM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

namaste and hello,

This is so true and important. It is the one who does not focus on your person, but just lets you be.
    The one you can eternally hang out with.
    The One in Whose association there is no pretence.

Also it is equally true that the Guru finds the seeker. The seeker only "stumbles across" the One becs S/He makes it so.
    Namaste. _/\_
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 August 2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added salutation - our custom
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information