Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mind - Everything?

Re: Mind - Everything?

Dear Amrut ji,

Only after realizing the truth, we can say that mana is mithyA or that it is non-existence, else it increases Ego - this is big problem of GYAna mArga - Ego.
    And Realization of Truth does not take place until one stops believing that manas is me. Unless one starts to look at the manas as a shadow ... it continues to appear real! It is like a shadow taken to be a ghost. The shadow continues to lurk as a ghost unless i decide to stop believing that it is a ghost.

Annamalai Swami, a direct disciple of Ramana, says :

How to give up this false idea that mind is real ?
    Annamalai Swami Answers: the same way that you give up any wrong idea. you simply stop believing in it. if this does not happen spontaneously when u hear the truth from a teacher, keep telling yourself "i am not the mind, i am not the mind. There is no mind; there is no mind. consciousness alone exists". if you have firm conviction that this is the truth, one day this firm conviction will mature to the point where it becomes your direct experience.
    We perpetuate the idea that world is real, mind is real by believing it. They thrive upon over interest and attention. I give them the reality on the one hand and i myself want to see it as unreal! On the one hand i tell myself that i am mind and on the other hand i look for a way to "Transcend mind" !!
    Do we see this please ?

When there are thoughts of agitation ... we say I am agitated.
    when there is a relative calm in mind ... we say I am calm.
    And we want to keep mind calm always ...
    or kill the mind , as if its something Real.

and since we believe it to be so, it appears to be so. If you believe that the shadow is a ghost and see it as a ghost ... it appears like a ghost. if one stops believing its a ghost ... it eventually would be seen as a shadow. There is no ghost.

Mind is not you ... mind is "Witnessed By You" ... Leave it alone ... give it no attention ... it is helpless !!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste SS ji,

I agree,

But still we I have said, if a thing didnt existed (though temporarily), then no point in de-hypnotizing.

Yesterday, I just came across some verses from Gaudapada-karika, mostly in chapter 2 and one cited in chapter i talking about mind. I will let you know the verse nos.

What I am saying is that mind is important and yet you will have to use mind only to rise above it. As swami ji says, think - 'I am not mind' - this process is also done with the help of mind only.

I dont deny what you say

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Dear Amrut ji,

Of course its to be done with the mind. Though i know that the earth is round , i see it as flat and can relate to it from that standpoint. My knowledge that earth is round does not make the earth appear round to me ! IT still continues to appear flat ... but i know.

same thing with sky. Sky is colorless and yet i see it as blue. Seeing it blue does not affect my knowledge !

So too ... the mind is not... does not mean it will vanish ... it is apparent and continues to remain so.

SAT, ASAT and MITHYA ... are three names.
    SAT is what IS and remains so unchanged always.
    ASAT is what is not, and does not appear ... like the horns of a hare.
    MITHYA is ASAT , but seems to be there ... When i see it as ASAT, it still continues ... like a mirage ... my knowledge does not make the mirage vanish ... my knowledge ensures that i do not run after it hoping for water

Love!
    Silence

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear Amrut ji,

Of course its to be done with the mind. Though i know that the earth is round , i see it as flat and can relate to it from that standpoint. My knowledge that earth is round does not make the earth appear round to me ! IT still continues to appear flat ... but i know.

same thing with sky. Sky is colorless and yet i see it as blue. Seeing it blue does not affect my knowledge !

So too ... the mind is not... does not mean it will vanish ... it is apparent and continues to remain so.

SAT, ASAT and MITHYA ... are three names.
    SAT is what IS and remains so unchanged always.
    ASAT is what is not, and does not appear ... like the horns of a hare.
    MITHYA is ASAT , but seems to be there ... When i see it as ASAT, it still continues ... like a mirage ... my knowledge does not make the mirage vanish ... my knowledge ensures that i do not run after it hoping for water

Love!
    Silence
    || Hari OM ||

Dear Silence ji, I agree with Love

Pranams

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Yesterday, I just came across some verses from Gaudapada-karika, mostly in chapter 2 and one cited in chapter i talking about mind. I will let you know the verse nos.
    Namaste,

Please check the verses 3.31, 1.17 and 3.29 of Gaudapada-karika on mandukya up.

It talks all about mind

Hari OM

Dear Amrut ji,
    Thank you. I have had the good fortune of studying Mandukya and Gaudapada karikas with shankara bhasyam.

They are exceptional. The highest Truth presented as it IS.

Love!
    Silence

Namste Grames ji,

Earlier you had quoted

From Yajvan JI

Until you digest this, how can you understand my pointers on top of that?
    This is said from POV of shaiva and not advaita. Shaiva's believe in nirAkAra as formless, but not nirguNa (taken as without guNa-s). they take same meaning as vaishnavas - that which is beyond (does not contain) durguNa (corrections welcome). Shiva is an omnipresent entity.

Yajvan ji says - "Within Śaivāgama this Creation"

Words like vimarSa, etc ar eall used in Siva-sdvaita. Hence it think it was said from that POV

btw I enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing and thank you Yajvan ji for sharing with us.

OM

Thread Information