Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudraksha - What should I do?

Re: Rudraksha - What should I do?

Vannakkam Ram,

Often rudrakshas have small natural anomalies so the extended line is not that unusual. People look for markings like tridents, or Aums as well, in the natural curves there.

Yes, they do come in slightly different colors, even from the same tree. Just as in any other fruit tree, the fruits vary some. Not all mangoes look identical either.

Yes, they can get damaged in the cleaning process. Small chips can break off. If they aren't sorted by hand, or the sorters are in a hurry, you could easily find damaged ones. The small white patches are most likely abrasions from the cleaning process itself.

Yes, they have to be drilled, and different drill sizes are used, depending on what kind of mala is to be made. Some are quite hard while others are softer. The drill hole should be directly through the natural softer center 'spine'.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Ram,

Often rudrakshas have small natural anomalies so the extended line is not that unusual. People look for markings like tridents, or Aums as well, in the natural curves there.

Yes, they do come in slightly different colors, even from the same tree. Just as in any other fruit tree, the fruits vary some. Not all mangoes look identical either.

Yes, they can get damaged in the cleaning process. Small chips can break off. If they aren't sorted by hand, or the sorters are in a hurry, you could easily find damaged ones. The small white patches are most likely abrasions from the cleaning process itself.

Yes, they have to be drilled, and different drill sizes are used, depending on what kind of mala is to be made. Some are quite hard while others are softer. The drill hole should be directly through the natural softer center 'spine'.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks a lot.I learnt many things from your answer.

P.S.I'll see if there are any auspicious markings on the Rudrakshas.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram and EM Ji,

Apologies, but I am curious about what you say here, EM Ji:
    I have only been working with the Nepalese variety, which should be the same as the ones grown in Hawaii, and in my experience they do not need to be drilled, the hole is natural to the bead. There is some fibrous material in that central hole that needs to be pushed out, where the stem secured and fed the developing fruit and seeds. This is very easily pushed out after cleaning the seed, starting from the bottom of the seed and using only an unbent paperclip. I have heard this is the same for the Java beads as well, though it is said they can be tougher sometimes. The small Indonesian beads that I get, around 5 to 8mm, that are commonly used for worn malas, are drilled. I have read that all of those, regardless of size, need to be drilled as they have no natural hole like the Nepal and Java varieties. I haven't really worked with them much yet though, I buy them pre-drilled and am collecting them for a later project.

Is this not your experience? Have you needed to drill Nepalese or Hawaiian beads? Or just push out the soft stem material from the natural hole? I'm just surprised and curious is all.

Ram, it's important to remember the beads are natural plant growth so they each are slightly different, just like all living things. Many of the ones I've cleaned have uneven pigment to the shell or stone of the bead, and that can often give them an almost shimmery look. As EM ji says, they come in a range of pigments, as I mentioned in another thread, which has given people an idea to call them by caste, but I don't think there is really a connection in that way. It's like how gems, particularly mineral semi-precious stones, have different colors, depth of color, and/or streaks and swirls of colors, it's just a natural beauty of the stone. They are all equally beautiful and each has their own individual strength. The same goes for all living beings.

I would love to see the projection you're talking about, if you are willing and able to share a photo. I've found my seeds come in all kinds of shapes, and some shapes are assigned specific meanings. It's part of their beautiful uniqueness. EM ji makes a great observance about the patterns in the whorls as well. I have found some with Om, some with shapes like Damaru, Tripundra, Swastika, Bel leaves (or possibly 3 eyes), and some with a lined shape on the tops of the faces leading to the mouth of the bead which look very like Mount Kailash. I wish I had found a Trishul, but I haven't yet. Of course, we see what we want to many times. I will have to take some pictures soon, I am almost ready to start stringing most of my collection so I'll get some pics before I do.

I completely understand your interest in these natural jewels, I also have been completely absorbed by them, and I know I'm not the only one here. If you ever get the chance to share images and are willing to do so, I'd love to see them - I also completely understand if you are not comfortable or not able to though.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 25 November 2014 at 08:09 AM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam Aanandinii:

My experience is only with the Hawaiian trees, and the process they have established there. (Trial and error over several years) The degree of softness varies. Besides genetics, but there may be other factors in the process at other places. There is a pre-drilling process of soaking for softening the outer blue shell, rolling or power washing to take it off, etc. Yes, there are probably some that are so soft that you could push out with a pin. Perhaps at other places they are all like that.

I would sit with a Dremil for about 3 hours at a time and do 1000-2000 beads. Some of them are indeed extremely hard, and fingers are taped to prevent injury because of the pressure needed to drill. I've broken drill bits on hard ones. As it is a volunteer 'commercial' process, and a lack of volunteers I suppose, time becomes a bit important, so stopping to check whether or not each individual bead is soft or not would quadruple the time involved. Therefore they all get drilled. But different sized bits are used too.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM ji,
    Vannakkam Aanandinii:

My experience is only with the Hawaiian trees, and the process they have established there. (Trial and error over several years) The degree of softness varies. Besides genetics, but there may be other factors in the process at other places. There is a pre-drilling process of soaking for softening the outer blue shell, rolling or power washing to take it off, etc. Yes, there are probably some that are so soft that you could push out with a pin. Perhaps at other places they are all like that.

I would sit with a Dremil for about 3 hours at a time and do 1000-2000 beads. Some of them are indeed extremely hard, and fingers are taped to prevent injury because of the pressure needed to drill. I've broken drill bits on hard ones. As it is a volunteer 'commercial' process, and a lack of volunteers I suppose, time becomes a bit important, so stopping to check whether or not each individual bead is soft or not would quadruple the time involved. Therefore they all get drilled. But different sized bits are used too.

Aum Namasivaya
    Wow, that is a lot of seeds in one day never mind 3 hours! I can imagine the potential for injury, especially using a dremil for so long and that fast. My own evolving process has me cleaning the beads first, sometimes with two soak/scrubs for the harder ones. One day I managed to clean 6 seeds and then second scrub 40 - took me all day and part of the night, and I could barely type for a few days after, and that was only from holding the beads and scrubbing them with a hand and nail brush.

If that's the number in just a few hours, the sheer amount of beads in a week must be unimaginable. I think I understand the need to drill them at that point, a hand process like mine would just take far too long, even with an army of volunteers.

Thank you so much for sharing!

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Vannakkam: You're starting with just the raw fruit? Blue skin and all?

Aum Namasivaya

Namste,
    Vannakkam: You're starting with just the raw fruit? Blue skin and all?

Aum Namasivaya
    Apologies for the late reply, it has been a busy few days here.
    Yes, I start with the raw fruit, however it's totally dried by the time I receive it. I buy them in packages of 20, no fruit is bigger than than 22mm - understandibly the seller will want to keep the larger seeds for her business.

The skins are a blackish navy blue when the fruit is dry. I soak them to rehydrate so they're easier to clean, and the skin usually turns bright blue again. Then I peel, scrub & dry them in the sun.

I started doing this after reading about how much counterfeiting goes on, buying the fruits seemed an easy way to be certain the seeds were real, and the fruits are much less money than finished beads.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 30 November 2014 at 01:21 PM.
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Vannakkam Aanandinii: Sounds like rudraksha all right. They are tough little beads, and the variance in what you have to do in a situation like you're in versus the semi-commercial situation I'm familiar with is vast. I can tell you we soak ours for a 3 month or longer period to get the outside much softer. I think cleaning them by hand would be quite arduous, yet rewarding for just a few. It's a personal touch, and the energy you put into it will show in the energies of the mala.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Aanandinii Ji & EM Ji,

I think Rudraksha study is a huge shastra.So many things to know.

Are you both collectors or do you help others acquire Rudrakshas?

Aanandinii Ji,I'll see if I can post the pics.

P.S. Your blog is very good,please keep posting.

Vannakkam Aanandinii: Sounds like rudraksha all right. They are tough little beads, and the variance in what you have to do in a situation like you're in versus the semi-commercial situation I'm familiar with is vast. I can tell you we soak ours for a 3 month or longer period to get the outside much softer. I think cleaning them by hand would be quite arduous, yet rewarding for just a few. It's a personal touch, and the energy you put into it will show in the energies of the mala.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM ji,

Yes, the process would have to be very different. It just didn't occur to me how many seeds the Adheenam process, particularly not after having seen some of the pictures on the website which look to be much smaller volunteer efforts - though those might have been from many years ago now. It must be something to volunteer in that process. I've found working with the fruits and seeds in this way is so rewarding that it isn't so arduous in light of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram11 View Post
    Namaste Aanandinii Ji & EM Ji,

I think Rudraksha study is a huge shastra.So many things to know.

Are you both collectors or do you help others acquire Rudrakshas?

Aanandinii Ji,I'll see if I can post the pics.

P.S. Your blog is very good,please keep posting.
    Namaste Ram,

You are too kind, thank you. I just haven't had much time to write recently, that should change soon.

It's not so much that I collect them, though I do have my own that I keep. I started cleaning and finishing beads from the fruit almost a year ago as a way to make my own certified malas at a lower cost than buying a finished one or finished beads. I've found the process of working with them so rewarding in so many ways, as I said above, that I have continued even after making my own malas. I've also found inspiration in working with them, so have been working towards those ideas.

There are many reasons I wouldn't be much help in acquisition of beads, particularly not uncommon Mukhi beads. There are trustworthy sellers around the world though, and pricing for many types are fairly reasonable. There are recent threads which talk about established sellers like these, they would probably be the best help in acquiring seeds. I would encourage you to look at some of these sellers, many are based out of India, which is much closer to your location too I think.

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information