Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fashioning a culture of TRUTH

Fashioning a culture of TRUTH

Loved Members,

India nurtured its people through an educational system called ‘Gurukul”, where we had teachers like Sri. Yajnavalkya, Varuni and Vyasa and the students stayed and spent their time at the teacher’s place. And this system was a motivating factor in shaping the character of many a successful Indian. With blazing light of truth focused on, lessons on eternal truth that evolved over the ages and the objective of life lay open before the students. In other words, the tradition and culture of our nation was structured here.

People did think logically and scientifically. But education did not discern them from eternal truth, though they were soon promoted to think more, establish feelings of love, kindness, compassion, and welcome other nations to expand trade and commerce. Into this quiet life, came a day of dominance, especially by the British. A community that was products of intellect was the challenge to them. Lord Macaulay, it is understood, found the abolition of the Indian system of education, a necessity.

Here is an evidence of it from a speech addresses to the British Parliament on the 2nd February, 1835 by Macaulay.
    "I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

The key to his vision was however selfish. On the contrary, we, as a nation, awaited peace and non-violence. The idea of European system of education into the Indian system that existed was soon institutionalized. Though unfortunate, it was a process of progress as a global medium of communication.

Now, a new epoch of cultural rejuvenation, across the nation, is required. It cannot happen immediately. The energies of our men and women should transform the young minds of today into a mass full of passion for our rich heritage.

The real function of our education system should be to prepare OUR CHILDREN for the best exercise of our own culture, and to protect it in an affectionate way. Let us all join together and frame ways to make our tradition reign supreme.

Already been established as a global medium of communication, English language has been helping people across India to facilitate interaction, ignoring the different cultural and linguistic background they are from. That deficiency being fixed, we need to feel lucky enough and endeavour to promote our heritage and values, in a language spoken by so much of our people.

Fusing the medium of English with our culture, why not we fashion a culture and philosophy of our own? Your thoughts please. Love

Re: Fashioning a culture of TRUTH

Vannakkam brahman:

It would be interesting to me to observe the ancient gurukul system more. It is somewhat alive in Brahmin temple communities, I believe. It seemed to me those 'schools' were different than the others in India. I think there would be a lot to learn on teaching methodology.

In many western nations, the British system has been dropped completely in favour of different methods seen more successful. This has been a slow progressive shift. Teachers are no longer seen as lecturers, the sources of all knowledge. Now teachers are considered facilitators, members of the panel, and more. The seating plans, discipline, and much more has changed. The advent of computers and the excess of information has allowed for this. So the gist is to motivate the students how to teach themselves, how to find information, how to read between the lines, and much much more. This is accomplished through working in groups, role-playing, encouraging questions, allowing students to teach each other. Today's classroom looks and sounds far different from the old days. In the old days, noisy classrooms were viewed as undisciplined. Now educators take a close look at noisy classrooms before making judgment. Many noisy classrooms are full of children learning together. Teachers now have to be far more aware of individuals, learning styles, mental development, and more.

Why has the model changed? It's mainly because research has shown time and again that the old model didn't work. Its similar to research in industry that has shown that a fun workplace is a more productive workplace. The 'old boys' club often doesn't believe it, but more and more changes such as implementing exercise breaks into daily routines are happening.

Personally, I think a good first step is to eliminate corporal punishment completely, not just in law, but in practice. Any teacher or principal caught using it should be released. What does this indicate? It incorporates, in action not just words, ahimsa, the first yama ... fundamental to Hinduism. Children should never fear school.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear EM,Your reply is a careful and meaningful thought on the education scenario, as if it has come from your heart.

Often we attempt to end our recommendations and suggestions in the form of mere discussions or debates and committees and seminars and speeches. This failure can be mainly attributed to our disorganized and unsystematic ways of implementation. Let us give it an inspiring picture and bring out the declared objectives by joining our minds and hearts in this knowledge rich HDF.

Educational reforms are a much debated subject in recent years. There is no scarcity for ideas, thoughts or suggestions with regard to this. But then, what do we lack? It is basically the effort to put these thoughts and ideas into action that is lacking; the failure to implement it.
    The world of internet has opened up a world of opportunities. Adapt and exploit the technology to spread the voice of our heritage. At all levels, social networking site like Facebook, Twitter, and also the blogging can appropriately be utilized.

The Middle East and Egypt in their struggle for democracy saw the new power of youth inspired by the energy of ahimsa was spread initially through the internet. Our experienced and accomplished senior members should express their support to share with the youngsters, the message of protecting and promoting our tradition and heritage, or act as a guiding force for the youth of today.

We find the youth of today active, energetic and lively. To be fruitful and accomplish a meaningful life in future , they need to be geared to, prepared for , thereby creating an environment that is just conducive for a better tomorrow.

What next, let us comment on what can be done, and let us discuss frequently how to continue to spread this.
    Lots of love

Dear Members,

The purpose of this note is to facilitate and stimulate discussions on healthy education. This implies preparing a quality learner in each one of us, which I would say is rather unworkable now. As parents, I would call us culturally unskilled, who were unable to create a quality learning community or set high expectation for our children.

So, where did we go wrong? We in our childhood had received little or no training on our rich spiritual heritage. Education for us meant knowledge about a set of topics, and the curriculum neglected the values of spiritual enlightenment. Minimal levels of parental involvement added to this.

Let us now think of our children. We may not have the required tools or experience to teach our children. But, let us be ready to at least initiate a healthy learning environment for our children, which can turn indicative of our land’s cultural proficiency.

Only a preference for these values once created in them impacts how they teach their children later.

We say we have TV generations sitting in classrooms. To further complicate this scenario, internet and video games and animated characters have made them passive observers. I fault ourselves for this. Whenever we were over burdened with work, or were engaged in household activities, we dragged our children from one tactic to the other, abdicated our responsibilities as parents and left our children to the reach of media.

We sat silently for years, as ignorant fathers and mothers. Regardless of the letdown so far, let us respond quickly. Let us soak our children into the glory of the spiritual culture India has. Let us hopefully provide them a library of thoughts, literature on spiritual heritage, stories of gurus and scholars, spiritual principles recorded in the great epics.

The essentials of education should be essentials of our culture. An insight into the essentials of our culture can definitely mould our children into champions of truth, ardent patriots, and missionaries of spiritual heritage.

We know its not there to happen in a day. But, it must remain our strong conviction.

Lots of love

Namasté brahman

I could not agree more with you. I feel that education is the foremost important element in the establishing of solid Dharma.

Being from the West I am fascinated to find that in ancient Eastern tradition there is a base of knowledge which is in my opinion light years ahead of Western philosophy.
    Although I have recently become aware of some recent development from Western science that is of great interest to myself in order to understand my own failure in the western education system.
    The subject is that of left right brain use and its effect on learning and personality type. Now this quite clearly fits the notion of Ida and Pingala.
    Given the quantity of children in the United states and Great Britain consuming mind altering drugs to "stabilise their learning". It is quite clear to any one in their right mind that this cannot continue.

The West is currently crying out for help, the form of which can only be education. The first to be educated to my mind should be Western Psychiatry, closely followed by Western Economists.

Ignorance to Dharma is like a plant growing with no gravity or fixed light source.

Om Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Given the quantity of children in the United states and Great Britain consuming mind altering drugs to "stabilise their learning". It is quite clear to any one in their right mind that this cannot continue.
    Vannakkam: As a former teacher, I want to address this just a little. While it is true that some, perhaps many doctors and educators over prescribe drugs like Ritalin (It's the one that gets the most attention.) for ADHD, it shouldn't be gneralised as 'all bad'. Each child's individual brain operates differently. ADHD can be incredibly disabling, making it nigh impossible for a child to focus. When it continues into adulthood, we get Type A personality of the highest degree, and minds with restless trains of thought going helter-skelter.

Do we prescribe insulin for diabetes? Do we treat broken legs, injuries with anti-inflammatories and painkillers? Just because mental conditions are less visible doesn't mean they aren't there, or shouldn't be treated.

In personal experience, I only had maybe 5 students over my 28 years in a classroom where it was obvious, blatantly, that the child benefited from Ritalin. So the problem lies in the assessment, and then the observation after the drug is prescribed. My take was always, 'let's try it for 2 to 3 weeks, and watch carefully' and then reassess. More often than not it wasn't benefiting to a very noticeable degree, but when it was, it was a 'Wow!' moment, mostly coming from the child's own words.

When a child whose parents have absolutely refused treatment because of their anti drug stance, commits suicide out of the frustration, you think twice.

Science should be used to serve humanity, not the other way around.

Aum Namasivaya

Namasté Eastern Mind

I firmly believe that the current collapse of Dharma in the West is the cause of these symptoms. It is arguably a Karmic reaction to the over indulgence of previous generations.

It is true that it is very difficult to treat a symptom in a child when the cause is the surrounding family Dharma.

neuro epigenetic, will I believe show this.

Epigenetics has already shown that predisposition to Diabetes shows an extremely strong correlation to over indulgence or "easy living" of the grand parents at the time of conception of the parents.

I my self am a self cured manic depressive or bi-polar (I hate to use these pseudo medical terms), and can honestly state that to my mind the poor child's suicide may well have been influenced by the narcissism of the parents, grand parents and close role-models any symptoms of this would never have been cured by drugs but only hidden. A great analogy being to use a sock in the mouth to cure a vomiting patient.

I will add here that there are absolutely no physical proof of these "medical illness" the scientific justification being based purely on statistics.

Conciousness is collective we are all connected. As to our own personal awareness of this, that is a different matter.

If egos become black holes there is little energy left for all those who come into close contact with them, the wreckage left in time by these super egos can be seen over generations and generations. Interestingly enough Sigmund Freud's and family are a superb example of this. With suicides in there wake.

Om Shanti

I should add Eastern Mind; My greatest respect to you as a teacher.

This is surly the noblest of trades with the acquisition knowledge being our most prised human endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namasté Eastern Mind

I firmly believe that the current collapse of Dharma in the West is the cause of these symptoms. It is arguably a Karmic reaction to the over indulgence of previous generations.

It is true that it is very difficult to treat a symptom in a child when the cause is the surrounding family Dharma.

neuro epigenetic, will I believe show this.

Epigenetics has already shown that predisposition to Diabetes shows an extremely strong correlation to over indulgence or "easy living" of the grand parents at the time of conception of the parents.

I my self am a self cured manic depressive or bi-polar (I hate to use these pseudo medical terms), and can honestly state that to my mind the poor child's suicide may well have been influenced by the narcissism of the parents, grand parents and close role-models any symptoms of this would never have been cured by drugs but only hidden. A great analogy being to use a sock in the mouth to cure a vomiting patient.

I will add here that there are absolutely no physical proof of these "medical illness" the scientific justification being based purely on statistics.

Conciousness is collective we are all connected. As to our own personal awareness of this, that is a different matter.

If egos become black holes there is little energy left for all those who come into close contact with them, the wreckage left in time by these super egos can be seen over generations and generations. Interestingly enough Sigmund Freud's and family are a superb example of this. With suicides in there wake.

Om Shanti
    Vannakkam: It's complicated, that's for sure. I've seen ADHD in families in my observation were better than normal, if there is such a thing, and really intelligent well-adjusted kids from totally dysfunctional families. So its not always the family, but in general, yes, I did see more dysfunctional kids form certain types of families. Poor nutrition was one factor.

I do believe personal karma is another very large factor.

But there are physical things, (poor eyesight comes to mind) where science has been a godsend. If sucked it up as 'just my karma' with my eyes, I wouldn't be sitting here now typing this, that's for sure. Same with some diseases like smallpox, where science has been a godsend.

But I do agree that the loss of dharma has been a tremendous contributor to all of this as well. But I don't see things in black/white terms.

Aum Namasivaya

Oh no not black or white, just crystal clear.

I am not criticising Western medicine but Western psychiatric practise. They are painfully slow at grasping Quantum physics which is finally coming to their attention.

Can you imagine the effect on the soul when in an hour of great spiritual movement.
    At a moment when you most need guidance, you even request guidance.

You receive the mantra.

"You are mentally ill it is incurable you must be medicated all your life!"

Aum.

Thread Information