Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Re: TEMPLES - Wishlist

Namaskar ji,

A tough question indeed! I hardly know where to start... "all"? I hope to be able to see all of the Jyotirlinga one day, and of course there are the famous Shiva temples. But on the practical side of where I am almost certain to visit again: Chennakeshava Swamy Temple, Karmanghat Hanuman Temple, Sri Subrahmanya Swami Temple, and Balkampet Yellamma Temple are among the first of my list for around Hyderabad.

in Jaipur I was immediately drawn to Sri Jagat Siromani Temple and Sanghi Jhumtharama Mandir but never got to visit. When we go back I am definitely going to them:

While researching these temples to find out which they were I learned of a few more I would like to visit: The Jain Sun Temple, Sri Laxmi Narain Temple and Ambikeshwar Mahadev Mandir, all in Amber Town and also the Kund near Ambikeshwar. And then there is Moti Dungri Temple in Jaipur.

There are also a few more temples I would like to see in Mysore and Indore, but I am not sure how likely we would go to either again.

I do want to see all of the Jyotirlingas, but I most definitely feel like i need to go back to Ujain. I think we missed the Shaktipeetham there, which I would very much like to visit as well as Mahakaal again, and there are so many more in that city that sound nice. And I want to go back and find the temple I had such an experience in, it was in the same gated area and open quad area as Mahakaaleshwar Mandir, across the square from the Omkareshwar Mahadev shrine entrance, if I remember corrcetly. Nandi sat outside the entrance to the ante-chamber on a high pedestal, with a carved stone roof over him. I just realized it was a separate temple/shrine the other day. If anyone has been and might know it, I would be very grateful.

In the US, I would love to see the Mahakaaleshwar in Baja, the Saiva Siddhanta Church temple in Kauai as well as the Ganesha shrines in the Rudraksha forest there, The Shiva Vishnu Temple of South Florida in Southwest Ranches - though I intend to visit the South Florida Hindu Temple again, which I went to last year, and they are both a long drive that I may have trouble talking my rides into. And the Hindu Temple of Cincinnati, though it may be some time before I get back out to Cinci again - unless I can get my other half interesting in some cave hikes. Here in MA, I plan to visit Sri Lalitha Peetham next, and want to go back to Ashland's Sri Laxmi Temple sometime. There is another further out west that I would like to visit sometime, and a Hindu Temple of NH not so far away.

I have to say, though I agree with EMji on his point about non-hindus, I also don't know if I would have had the same experiences if I had been kept out of the Mahakaaleshwar complex on basis of my skin and hair color. In fact at the time, I would not have said I was Hindu in faith, and that would have been a fair assessment, I didn't know what I was then and it had long been a source of pain for me. Being allowed to make offerings and receive Darshan... well, maybe I might have had that experience if I had to stand outside the temple and look in, but somehow I doubt it. That's not to say all tourists should have carte blanche in very sacred spaces, but not every tourist is irreverant and crude either. And a lot of assumption appears to be placed on physical appearance which leads to a double standard - even here in this country. Again, not without some kind of reason, but I still don't like it any more than I like any other kind of discrimination. Do ends justify means ever, really?

Also, a person of any religion can go into any Christian church and receive sermon, benediction, confession and blessing. Some people may wonder at it if it were someone who "looked like" they "should be" a different religion, but that person will still be allowed and accepted. I've even known people who are not catholic receive catholic communion - and protestants do no restrict communion to those who have received doctrine and first communion at all, anyone can partake. I've never been in a church that practiced otherwise. Just don't bring in a camera, and be respectful is all. This feels like the beginnings of exclusionist or isolationist movements in a faith that purports to be for everyone and welcoming of all, and so these measures seem counter to the point. In the end it might hurt more than help, such movements rarely seem to be beneficial to a majority. But then again, I am speaking from ignorance, so please forgive me if I'm wrong in my thinking and if you have a moment, teach me better.

How does one "prove" one's faith anyway? It seems I am already at enough of a disadvantage in being female. Perhaps traveling with my best friend and sister to places this might be questioned would help, or no? I like the idea that if I'm meant to go there it will work out and if not no bother, but I know there are a few places I would like to go that I will most likely face this.

~Pranam-s
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 04 September 2014 at 09:01 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Dear Aanandinii,

You write so beautifully. Since you are in the NE USA, I would also love to recommend to you the 'Ranganatha Temple' of Pomona, NY - it is a very beautiful temple dedicated to Sri Vishnu. And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Just thought of mentioning these to you!

Regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Regards,

Viraja
    Vannakkam: I've been to that one, and it is beautiful. There is also a Murugan temple about 5 blocks away.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Aanandinii,

You write so beautifully. Since you are in the NE USA, I would also love to recommend to you the 'Ranganatha Temple' of Pomona, NY - it is a very beautiful temple dedicated to Sri Vishnu. And then, I hear from my husband that 10 yrs ago we visited another great Shiva Vishnu temple in Maryland, USA. I forgot the temple altogether but my husband says it is a very beautiful temple. I believe it would be this http://www.ssvt.org/.

Regards,

Viraja
    Namaste Virajaji,

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I will definitely add both to my list. NY is not so far, it would make a nice weekend trip. The one in MD is actually not very far from a dear Uncle who has been asking us to come visit for years now, too. I love synchronicity. ^_^

Thank you as well for you kind words.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Namaste Satay

I have documentation that proves I am a Hindu. I also have Indian Hindu relatives. So I have be able to enter temples where others have not, such as in Bhubaneshwar. Only Jagannath Temple was the exception, and a temple in Nepal.

Actually I agree that non-Hindts should not be allowed in if that is the policy of the temple, and I am extremely embarrased when non Hindu Western tourists with cameras come and start "gawking", they should be thrown out in cases and I myself have given them a bit of my mind.

I am not making a big deal over this, just I do dream of going to have darshan with Meenakshi. But I also think we can build our "own" temples just like the ones whicg might not let me in for example.

Just f.y.i. however, the Jagannath Temple in Puri is very special to some Western Hindus such as from ISKCON, I know for a fact that Prabhupad wrote a petition that requested his initiated pujaris should be allowed in if "Western" so they could observe proper puja methods but it was denied.

Namaste Aanandinii Ji,Viraja Ji,EM Ji,ShivaFan Ji and Satay Ji.

I was a bit busy and could not reply.I thank you all for telling about various shrines.

I think I will have to add many more shrines to my wishlist from the ones expressed above,especially from Aanandinii Ji's list.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Good choices, everyone.

I've made a friend from Tumkur, Karnataka and some friends from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. For my first trip to India (September of next year in time for Janmāṣṭamī would be nice), I hope to visit the Parthasarathy Temple in Chennai (see the photo immediately below). It was built in the 8th century. It is primarily a temple to Śrī Kṛṣṇa, but also to four other forms of Śrī Viṣṇu. It has a shrine to the Āļvār Āṇḍāḷ. It is actually praised in the Nālāyira Divya-prabandham. Both traditions of Śrī Vaiṣṇavas worship there. It is like stepping into ancient history. It's apparently larger and more wonderful than the photo suggests.

In Tumkur I hope to visit the 12th century Chennakesava Temple primarily dedicated to Śrī Viṣṇu (see the second photo below).

praṇām

Terms defined

Āļvār ("deeply immersed" in the experience of the divine) or Āzhvār-any of the twelve Vaiṣṇava poet saints of South India who lived between the 6th and 8th centuries C.E.

Nālāyira Divya-prabandham-the collection of "Four Thousand Divine Hymns" composed by the Āļvārs.

Śrī Vaiṣṇavas-Viṣṇu devotees in the tradition of the Āļvārs and the spiritual genius, philosopher, and saint Śrī Rāmānujācārya.

śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by anucarh View Post
    I've made a friend from Tumkur, Karnataka and some friends from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. For my first trip to India (September of next year in time for Janmāṣṭamī would be nice), I hope to visit the Parthasarathy Temple in Chennai (see the photo immediately below). It was built in the 8th century. It is primarily a temple to Śrī Kṛṣṇa, but also to four other forms of Śrī Viṣṇu. It has a shrine to the Āļvār Āṇḍāḷ. It is actually praised in the Nālāyira Divya-prabandham. Both traditions of Śrī Vaiṣṇavas worship there. It is like stepping into ancient history. It's apparently larger and more wonderful than the photo suggests.

In Tumkur I hope to visit the 12th century Chennakesava Temple primarily dedicated to Śrī Viṣṇu (see the second photo below).
    Namaste Anucarh ji,

How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip! Please if you get pictures and are comfortable with sharing, it would be great to see them.

The Chennakeshvara temple in your second pic is not the one in Tumkur though, the one in the picture is Chennakeshvara in Somanathapura, which is closer to Mysore. There are several Chennakeshvara temples it seems, and this is the one in Tumkur I believe:

Still, from what I can tell, Tumkur is not more than a couple of hours drive from the one in Smanathapura if you have some time to explore and want to go to that one as well.

If you do, I would also highly recommend Ranganathaswamy Temple, it is amazing, gorgeous and first built in the late 8th century as well. There is a stunning shrine with Sri Vishnu reclining on Shesha and Sri Lakshmi attending, and devotees may enter the garbha griha.

If there is interest I have some great pictures from the Samanathapura Chennakeshvara and a few from Ranganathaswami.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 18 November 2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo correction
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Namaste Aanandinii ji,

> How exciting! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you for your kind wishes. I'm also very excited by the thought of visiting the Holy Land for the first time.

> Please if you get pictures and are comfortable with sharing, it would be great to see them.

I will definitely share any photos, if I'm able to make this trip happen.

> The Chennakeshvara temple in your second pic is not the one in Tumkur though, the
    > one in the picture is Chennakeshvara in Somanathapura, which is closer to Mysore.
    > There are several Chennakeshvara temples it seems, and this is the one in Tumkur I believe:
    > Still, from what I can tell, Tumkur is not more than a couple of hours drive from the one in
    > Smanathapura if you have some time to explore and want to go to that one as well.

Thank you for the correction. They both seem like good choices.

> If you do, I would also highly recommend Raganathaswamy Temple, it is amazing,
    > gorgeous and first built in the late 8th century as well. There is a stunning shrine with
    > Sri Vishnu reclining on Shesha and Sri Lakshmi attending, and devotees may enter the garbha griha.

I googled this temple after reading your comments. It looks absolutely incredible! It must be enormous as well, judging from the photos.

> If there is interest I have some great pictures from the Samanathapura Chennakeshvara
    > and a few from Raganathaswami.

Yes, thank you. I'm very interested in seeing your photos, if you're willing to share them. Thanks again.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Pranams,

I am often asked what is my favourite deity and temple, and I can never answer, each has their own charm and purpose. I spent 5 years travelling in India as a Brahmacrai and have done many Parikramas around Vrndavana, Puri and Mayapura and Navadwipa. I did padayatra with bullock carts for 3 months around Gujurata and around 6 months walking and visiting temples from Orrisa down to Tamil Nadu. I forget the name of the temple but we had to walk for about 5 days through jungle roads to a mountain temple of Sri Narasingha.

I have fond memories in South India of walking for many days in very harsh conditions of heat and sore feet on the road and then seeing in the distance some of the Sri Vishnu and Lord Shiva's temples in ancient style vedic city layout and designs.

I also walked with some sadhus from Dev prayag to Badrinatha, but sadly the road was closed because of snow and the army was not letting anyone pass. I stayed for a week in Joshimath which was a very good experience but still the road was closed and I had to go back for my flight, so that is a journey I want to do at some point in the future, this time I want to take my sons. I stayed for a few days with the temple Brahmin of Dev Prayag, he was very kind to me and showed me some really nice places around where different pastimes took place. The temples are amazing, the culture is ancient but the pastimes of each place is what makes these places so sacred and powerful.

Although I am detached now fro many years from main stream ISCKON I do feel they have a very high standard of Deity worship and the temples such as Bhaktivedanta manor in England where I visit a few times a year is very special and has a certain potency of Bhakti, plus I first became a monk at the Soho Street temple in London, so this place will always have a special place in my heart.

I love all temples and I traveled around some Parts of S.E Asia in Thailand and Malaysia visiting Buddhist places, but by far the most impressed I have been is the South Korean Temples, but all Buddhist temples I find are very sophisticated and well looked after. We have some nice ones in England that I visit from time to time.

Although I can understand why some westerners are not allowed in temples I think it needs to be revised, I have not had any real personal problems because my time in India was always auspicious, but I do hope things can change. I have no intent on becoming a Hindu, I feel more like a spiritual scientists who test scientific formulas of sadhana, so hopefully the temples can see all beings beyond the concept of designations.

Ys

Md

Thread Information