Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

Namaste Viraja,

In the present context, I believe suffering comes partly from the fact that the average Hindu in the Indian sub-continent is not taught to be proud of his culture. Pride and respect for the culture will automatically herald some changes and bring down corruption too. Pride and respect here is not a synonym for blind acceptance.

If you know your history, you will not perform acts that will hurt that legacy. Marxist historians are part of the problem. Hindus abroad are usually able to see their legacy in a new light, away from the obfuscation, and hence usually end up being good citizens of the world.

That is my theory.

India was the world's largest economy for 17 of the last 20 centuries, actually. Let the West have their moment in the sun. A few decades is all that is left of it. :-)
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    India was the world's largest economy for 17 of the last 20 centuries, actually. Let the West have their moment in the sun. A few decades is all that is left of it. :-)
    Dear Omkar,

I like that spirit! You too are on a positive note about India rising above in coming decades - this leaves me happy.
    Last edited by Viraja; 17 September 2014 at 06:49 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by kumar_s View Post
    Namaste Viraja,

In the present context, I believe suffering comes partly from the fact that the average Hindu in the Indian sub-continent is not taught to be proud of his culture. Pride and respect for the culture will automatically herald some changes and bring down corruption too. Pride and respect here is not a synonym for blind acceptance.

If you know your history, you will not perform acts that will hurt that legacy. Marxist historians are part of the problem. Hindus abroad are usually able to see their legacy in a new light, away from the obfuscation, and hence usually end up being good citizens of the world.

That is my theory.
    Extremely well said! The human values (when I left India 20 yrs ago) were dwindling, partly because as you said, Indians are not proud of their legacy, their great culture. Love your comment, "Hindus abroad are usually able to see their legacy in a new light, away from the obfuscation, and hence usually end up being good citizens of the world. ".

Namaste Viraja,

Regarding India, I am very happy that the youth of the country seems to be realizing their potential and depth in Hinduism. The next 10 years will be crucial.

Dear friend ,
    What about all the religious rituals , the superstitious beliefs ,
    discriminations and disparities which totally ruined millions of lives whether of humans or other species.All said and done much injustice has had been done in the name of religion which incurred the wrath of nature .

Namaste Saswaty,

Excellent question. As far as caste-based discrimination is concerned that indeed is big problem. We must make sure that this disappears. Apart from affirmative actions in the form of reservation, religious leaders and common citizens must do their best to eradicate this issue. Modernization will also help etc. Everyone (specially the youth) should contribute to awareness and eradication.

Regarding superstitions - education itself will take care of most superstitions. However, here I think we should be vary of over-correction. Some rituals, though seemingly mindless, have their own importance. Some reform movements tried to do away totally with pujas and in particular murthy puja (idol worship). I am not in favor of totally giving up these rituals.

Dear friend ,

when it comes to murthy puja - the idol worship does not contribute to any harm because it helps in the concentrating in the initial stages of sadhana. As the sadhaka progresses farther and farther he may not require any image . But the debts incurred in the sacrifices of animals , humans ,and other species , the sathi , the religious wars ,the honour killings , mass genocides , and many many atrocities done in our punya bhumi definitely have to be repaid . sins of parents visit the children.

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,
    But the debts incurred in the sacrifices of animals , humans ,and other species , the sathi , the religious wars ,the honour killings , mass genocides , and many many atrocities done in our punya bhumi definitely have to be repaid . sins of parents visit the children.
    To my knowledge, this is correct. I've been reading the life history of Srimad Ramanujacharya. When his first guru Yadavaprakasa has serious misunderstandings with Sri Ramanuja, he decides to have Sri Ramanuja drowned in Ganga, along with the help of a few fellow students of his. The reason he gives to the students is that, "Drowning in Ganga will not result in accruing any sin because of the virtue of giving death to Ramanuja in the great river". Likewise, many, many sins were committed ignorantly, thinking it will not bring 'harm', such as in the case of many 'balis'.

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,

But the debts incurred in the sacrifices of animals , humans ,and other species , the sathi , the religious wars ,the honour killings , mass genocides , and many many atrocities done in our punya bhumi definitely have to be repaid . sins of parents visit the children.
    Namaste Saswathy,

Regarding sati, if you look around in the world right now, you would realize what kind of situation fuelled such behaviour. We don't have to look far to realize what kind of oppression our forefathers must have been up against. Obviously those practises are abominable and must be done away with, but the context is also important.

Which mass genocide and religious wars are you talking about ?

Thread Information