Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jyotish originally indian?

Question Is Jyotish originally indian?

Hello, I was doing a Jyotish search and I've found some sites saying that Jyotish originally started in mesopotamia and it's a post-vedic greek import.
    Here is what wikipedia says:

However, historical documentation shows that horoscopic astrology in the Indian subcontinent came from Hellenistic influences, post-dating the Vedic period
    How true is that?

Thanks.

Re: Is Jyotish originally indian?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

For me and me only I say 'who cares'... We recognize it as the 6th vedāṅga; the 6th limb of the veda.
    • the 6
      • śikṣā
      • kalpa
      • vyākaraṇa
      • nirukta
      • chandas
      • jyotiṣ
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Yajvan ji,

For what it is worth, please add my vote to this as well. As I was reading your response I was thinking, "My thoughts, exactly!"

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Yes it is .

Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    Hello, I was doing a Jyotish search and I've found some sites saying that Jyotish originally started in mesopotamia and it's a post-vedic greek import.
    Here is what wikipedia says:

How true is that?

Thanks.
    Greetings,
    It could be true because Jyotish is multi-faceted; it includes the nakshatras and the zodiac signs. The nakshatras are definitely Vedic. It seems to me that the zodiac sign system is non-Vedic and comes from the Hellenistic world. Apparently, Jyotish combined the nakshatra system and the zodiac sign system together. This does not mean that the zodiac sign system was not also divinely inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    mesopotamia and it's a post-vedic greek import.

How true is that?

Thanks.
    Sounds like nonsense to me, but who am I to say?

I too have read this in Wiki. But as far as I know Vedic Astro or Indian Astro is surely Indian. It's part of Vedanga. We have ample evidence that Astrology was used in Ramayana and Mahabharatha.

India is the only place this science is till alive after thousands of years.

I'm bit skeptical about historians especially when things matter India.

Thanks
    Krishna

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Let me ask those concerned... what is the issue if it came from another source? Is there some 'pride' that is damaged? Some ineffectiveness that is now at risk ?

When we use the word veda it is from 'vid' knowledge. Note there is no restraint of where this knowledge is located. But the home of all knowledge never changes.

As Newton came upon many of the laws of physics we use today, does it make those laws of motion British or Christian ? Those laws are owned by the universe.

Like that, the knowledge that comes to us via the veda-s are also owned by the universe and cognized by our seers (ṛṣi-s). Could not the same laws unfold for different people on this good earth ?

This whole 'mine' thing is the cause of all the mischief we encounter as a societal being ; the pride of ownership and authenticity is a big lure for the ego.
    So if one must insist on 'I was here first' , you will find the same behaviors at the market place of all the small-small people that wish to push their way to the front of the line; 'I was here first' , 'those are my apples , 'I am taking them they are not yours'... they do not have a clue on who really owns the apples let alone the energy they expend to push their way forward.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Surya Siddhanta was revealed by the Sun God to Maya in the Krita Yuga so yes Jyotish is originally Indian.
    Last edited by savithru; 17 September 2014 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Changed Font

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    As Newton came upon many of the laws of physics we use today, does it make those laws of motion British or Christian ? Those laws are owned by the universe.
    Well, there are bragging rights attached to the "first" discoverer of a law. There is a certain mystique and awe associated with the "pioneer" even though the same law may be rediscovered by someone else in a different setting. This is also the reason why academic journals these days print when a paper was first received by the journal and when it was subsequently revised/accepted.

Although Newton may have discovered calculus which is universal, that did not prevent a full-blown diplomatic and political firestorm between the Brits and the Germans who claimed that it was Leibniz (their citizen) who first and independently discovered the method.

India and Britain/New Zealand still disagree on who actually set foot first on the peak of the Mount Everest. The Brits' side claim it was Hillary, while the Indian side claims it was Tenzing.

Quick question. Do you know who led the second team to set foot on Mount Everest?

Thread Information