Thread: VaishNAva Jana to tene kahiye je peeDa parAyi jAne re

VaishNAva Jana to tene kahiye je peeDa parAyi jAne re

Hare KRshNa

A VaishNav is a mysterious being whom only a handful understand
    -- BhagavAn VishNU
    -- other vaishNav
    -- BhagavAn sadAshiva
    -- Devi-devata

Someone made some comment about a KRshNa bhakta, and these are the responses to the comments.
    Kirshna and Krishna related things become his new world
    so now he hankers after these other worldly things

so he is still troubled by kama, krodha, lobha, moha, madha, matsarya:
    kama: desire. Desire to pray to Krishna! I want to listen to Krishna's stories. So if someone becomes a hurdle on his way to fulfill his desire, he is unhappy.
    This applies to a kanishTha or beginner. After developing rasa (mellow) in KRshNa kathA, the dependence on external is minimized, there is no kAma(hankering) only prema (pure love).

Krodha: Anger: he is angry when someone disturbs him and does not allow him to pray!
    For a true devotee, this does not apply. It may apply to a few in the beginning, but that is part of their growth, just as is the case with anyone on other paths. The fact is, nothing and no one can disturb the devotee from their rasa with KRshNa.

Lobha: greed: he wants more and more of krishna's leelas.
    Quite true! RUpa Goswami teaches : this lobha is what the VrajavAsi has. Intense lobha (greed) for KRshNa. Nectar, never-ending infinite ocean of nectar. On the other hand, while this "rasapAn" (act of drinking nectar) is occuring, there is complete satisfaction. Contrary as it sounds it is achintya.

Moha: Delusion : since he says that when i listen to krishna leelas i am with krishna when i do not, i am not with krishna !
    This is an erroneous observation and misunderstanding of those who cannot or do not want to relate. The premikA is always with KRshNa. The externals are for the sake of satsanga (saintly association), and compassion towards others. For many, kirtan and satsanga are for a group, not themselves. It is paropkAr (kindness), but yes, they are addicted, ... to the infinite ocean of nectar called Shri KRshNa. So is any dhyAnastha yogi (meditation transcendentalist), siddha (perfect) and brahmanirvAN (surrendered and melting into the infinite Brahman).

Madha: pride: that i am a great krishna devotee.
    The true VaishNav is prideless. This is an Oxymoron: A proud VaishNav.

Matsarya: jealousy : if i go and tell him i see krishna every day and have my breakfast with him! He is gone !!
    This is untrue of the true pure VaishNav. For the pure devotee, there is no trace of asUyA (jealousy). Others may be work-in-progress. Same holds for those on the path of advaita vedAnta, shaiva shAkta etc.

The devotee's heart will be overflowing with happiness on hearing that you have breakfast with KRshNa everyday. Moreover, they want to give KRshNa to those who do not eat breakfast with Him everyday.

The true premi is never seperate from KRshNa. They are indeed One and there is no strangeness with others since they see KRshNa everywhere, in all.

bhajo shri kRshNa chaitanyo prabhu nityAnado
    hare kRshNa hare rAm shri rAdhe govindo
    jayo rAdhe govindo S rAdhe govindo

sAre bhaktonko merA praNAm _/\_
    Last edited by smaranam; 25 October 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: explained saMskRt words in brackets
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: VaishNAva Jana to tene kahiye je peeDa parAyi jAne re

Namaste,

Going by this title's thread, I presume you are talking bout the Gujarati folk-song called Vaishnava Janato ... correct? If so, I believe you will enjoy the following rendition: Vaishnava Janato by Riyaaz Qawwali.

Beautiful, thank you. Yes, I was referring to the GujarAthi song by Narsi Mehta
    ... just curious -- about that all-black attire.
    Last edited by smaranam; 01 November 2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Narsi

Hare KRshNa

Who is a VaishNava? "Of VishNu" , Not just those who identify with a group or sect, but one who has compassion for fellow beings and empathy for their sufferings, engages in auspicious deeds and devotion, chants the glories and names of the Supreme Lord VishNu who pervades all existence, is dispassionate regarding worldly possessions...

We might as well decipher this song by a param KRshNa bhakta (a great devotee of KRshNa), Narsi Mehta. GujarAthI is his mother tongue, and he is/was from GujarAth.

Sung beautifully by Jayashreeji
    VaishNava Jana To by Jayashree

VaishNava jana to tene kahiye je pIDa parAyI jAne re |
    Paradukkhe upakAra kare tohe mana abhimAna nA ane re || dhR o ||

Sakala loka mA sahune bandhe nindA na kare keni re
    vAcha kAcha vad nischhala rAkhe dhana dhana janani teri re || 1 ||

sama dRshTI ne tRshNA tyAgi para stree jeni mAta re
    jivhA thakI asatya na bole paradhana nava zhAle haatha re || 2 ||

Moha mAyA vyApe nahi jene dRdha vairagya jenA mana mA re
    rAm nAm shubh kArya me lAge sakala tIratha tenA tana mA re || 3 ||

vaNa lobhi ne kapata vihita chhe kAma krodha nivAryA re |
    bhaNe Narsainyo tenu darshana karatA kuLa ekotera tAryA re || 4 ||

Rough Translation (disclaimer: I do not know GurarAthi)

Call those beings VaishNava (of VishNu) who know/are sensitive to the suffering/sorrow of another [being]
    And those who do not develop ego that they have helped or been merciful to the suffering ones ||

Those who never blaspheme or unjustly criticize anyone in all lokas (worlds)
    Those who speak pure, truthful and pleasant words, have a steady mind, glorious is the mother of such a being (1)

Those who have equal vision (see all beings as the AtmA) by means of which they have sacrificed passion,
    To whom all but their own wife are like a mother,
    Whose tongue never speaks untruth, and hands never touch another's wealth (2)

Those who are not overcome/engulfed by moha-mAyA (delusion) and in whose minds dispassion has taken a firm hold
    Those who always chant the Holy Name of Shri Ram, engage in auspicious deeds. All the holy places reside in such a being’s body(3)

In whom there is the absence of greed and deceit, Who have renounced all types of lust and anger,
    Narsi (the poet) would like to meet such a soul (darshana karatA),
    Whose virtue liberates (tAryA, crossing saMsAra) their entire lineage (all generations) from neissance (4)
    Last edited by smaranam; 29 November 2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: bhaNe narasainyi tenu; are; ane; teni; vAcha

Thread Information