Thread: Green Dots

Green Dots

Namaste,

This isn't really feedback on how to improve the forum, just a general question about the forum. What do the green dots mean? Whenever someone posts, in the place where their info is (location, age, posts, rep) is a stream of dark and bright green dots - for example, I have 5 dark green and 6 bright green. Some have more than others, some people have just 1 grey dot. I've noticed the mods have the grey dot I believe. What do these mean?

Thanks!
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Green Dots

Namaste

just put the mouse arrow on the green dots.

regards

Namaste,

these are reputation points. When somebody likes your post, they can give you a fruble or a point, which means an acknowledgement. By default, this point system is active. You can disable this by visiting your control panel.

Login --> User CP (on LHS) --> options

Here you will find the option to enable or disable.

Please see the screenshot below.

The points that are added follow a different algorithm.

Generally, when one member give you a point, the point should increase by one point, but here, you may see many points running into thousands. This is because, the points added depend upon the weightage of the donor or one who is giving you a point.

Number of points added may depend upon some factors

Like if a member himself has 1000 rep. points and gives rep. point to another member, then the points added to you may be e.g. 50 points. When a member, who himself has 10,000 points to his credit, gives you a point, points added may be, for e.g., 500 points.

Another factor that can be considered is the number of times you interact i.e. give and receive points.

So when a member who gives many points, votes or offers point to you, again, the number of points added to you will be more as compared to a new member or a member who less often posts an gives point.

To sum up, the number of points denotes your activity and interactivity

1. More you give points, more is the weightage of points.
    2. More you post, more is the weightage of points.

Points are a way to say thanks, or are taken as appreciation.

Rep. Points can be disabled, in this case you will see black dot (like in my case). For that you will have to PM admin (Satay ji) to disable Rep. Points.

EDIT: After the points are disabled, the point count is reset to zero. The catch is, still someone can give you points, again the point count will increase. So from time to time you can ask Satay ji to reset or just leave it, as most members will know that since I have disabled my points, I do not expected to be voted.

In case it is active, I do not know if you can see how has given you rep points, I have disabled it since long time . Perhaps somebody can give you answer

I hope this answers your query.

Hari OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 16 October 2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added info about disabled rep points
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste IA, and thank you very much for the clear and detailed response! I had been wondering why my points had jumped to such a random number.

If a member has reputation disabled, can they still give rep points to other members?

Thank you.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste fem_phoenix,

The answer is yes. Turning off rep points simply means you don't want to be shown having reputation points, but for some reason that doesn't stop people sending them your way! You can still give out your daily quota of reputation points, though.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste fp1109,

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post

If a member has reputation disabled, can they still give rep points to other members?
    Yup, else why would my Black dot say some points. Technically, they should not be able to give us any points, but it is some bug in the code or script, which allows members to give points even though rep. points are being disabled.

Actually, number of post do not indicate knowledge. So a member with 1000 post is not considered as knowledgeable. It is the content that is the king. Most forums have points like when you cross 100 posts, certain points are automatically given to you. When you cross 500 posts some more points are given. In some cases the status is changed like from say, newbie -->junior member --> senior member or say in spiritual it may be mumukshu --> jignasu --> Jnani, etc

It is for fun and for encouragement, to interact more and more, thats what admins want us to do, be more and more active and they are happy if there are quality members giving valuable inputs

Hari OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 16 October 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste, and thanks for responding!

What about the other way around - if I disable my rep, can I still give out rep to others?

Pranam
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste, and thanks for responding!

What about the other way around - if I disable my rep, can I still give out rep to others?

Pranam
    Yes. I hope you must have got a point from me. Login and click User CP

For somethings, it is not hard ot try, nothing bad happens

Namaste

Vannakkam: Way off topic, but those green boxes used to to remind me of the time when my aunt was being hypnotised at some New Year's Party. The 'hypnotist' had her imagining a green square in his fingers somehow, and each time he turned away, she'd wink at us kids. We had fun, so did she, playing him for the fool. So green boxes have some use after all.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Way off topic, but those green boxes used to to remind me of the time when my aunt was being hypnotised at some New Year's Party. The 'hypnotist' had her imagining a green square in his fingers somehow, and each time he turned away, she'd wink at us kids. We had fun, so did she, playing him for the fool. So green boxes have some use after all.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vanakkam,

Well, this is not off-topic, though Satay ji might have a second thought about green squares and how people think about it

Namah Shivaya

Thread Information