Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Lord Shiva answer?

Does Lord Shiva answer?

Hello everyone
    I was reared in a religion where we were directed to place our prayers of petition before God no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

Does one also place petitions before Shiva and Ganesha? I hear people mention "boons" which I figure are blessings from God, but do we ask, or just praise and in the praise, God will know our wants and hence answer if we are worthy?

In case this question seems trite, in some traditions I hear people frequently mention how God made "this or that" happen (as in divine intervention for healing, employment etc), but I seldom if ever hear it when talking God in Hindu dharma.

Peace

Re: Does Lord Shiva answer?

namaste,

there are many-many ways to answer this question. If one comes to understand that the Supreme is all knowing, is present everywhere, then what could he/she possibly not know? What issue/thing/condition that resides in us as a need to be fulfilled would be unknown to Him ? It is said, not even a blade of grass moves without his knowing. What then could one petition ?

Another point of consideration that the wise tell us is this... When our desires are more universal by nature, when the desire is whole and pure (sattvic) and our consciousness is of the same, then these desires come to pass.

One that I yield to is that of knowing the Self. When one is in this awareness of Self, really, the fullness of god consciousness, then you are the exponent of reality. Then your actions are His actions. What then could you petition Him for when this is the case ? You become the light for others, even without one word being spoken. Then they petition you. What then is the best most noble and uplifting thing you can do for them ? To give them and get them to this god consciousness also. This is the highest blessing.

iti sivam
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Hello everyone
    I was reared in a religion where we were directed to place our prayers of petition before God no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

Does one also place petitions before Shiva and Ganesha? I hear people mention "boons" which I figure are blessings from God, but do we ask, or just praise and in the praise, God will know our wants and hence answer if we are worthy?

In case this question seems trite, in some traditions I hear people frequently mention how God made "this or that" happen (as in divine intervention for healing, employment etc), but I seldom if ever hear it when talking God in Hindu dharma.

Peace
    Namaskar,
    I have read this question before and people usually have differing views about it. The question is much more complex than it looks.

Shiva answers to what sort of "demands"?
    Shiva answers to prayers of what sort of people? Everyone or selected few?
    What is the nature of intervention? Direct or indirect?
    Is asking anything to Shiva justified in itself? What about selfless devotion (devotion which comes from internal love and not for material gains)?

In my personal opinion, nobody can answer the question with absolute conviction. I don't know if direct intervention is possible or not. However I do believe indirectly millions of people have gained by Bhakti (devotion). One way is that devotion to God purifies our self and thus gives us a feeling of well being. For many materialist or deluded people, bhakti can work on principles of auto-suggestion (bhakti can act as placebo). There are still other ways in which devotion to Shiva can help people.

Personally speaking, I love Shiva and Parvati and that feeling itself gives me a lot to live for.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Dear Mystical Soul ji,
    Namasthe!

Can I request God, Seek Help ? Seek Protection or fulfillment of Desires?

Yes.

How to do so ?

Cry to him. Totally in a personal way. Request him. Don't need to praise him ... or you may praise him and say "You being so great, what is it for you to solve my problem". Take aid from a song. A song in praise of God. Any prayer, any language, a prayer from any religion.

Have a relationship with God. As a friend , say. And then talk to him as you speak to your friend. Cry , and tell him your problem in a real way, as even you speak to your friend. Don't think you are talking to an image or an idol... if everything is God, that image, that idol is God too! So there is God everywhere ... all ears ... he hears.

This is a beautiful way to invoke. See how God is called upon... Bo Shambo! Oh Lord ! You are calling upon him ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYFRP0Ki1rw
    http://translationsofsomesongsofcarn...a-shambho.html

This is just one example. Speak to God ... directly and present your problem.

God does what is best ! Please ask God to come and take over your affairs. That's the prayer. And when you do that, God is with you. In your sorrows and in your joys, let him become a part ... some times we do not know what is best for ourselves ... so we request him for help and also ask him to take over ... and take care of all ...why should he do it ? Because he is your friend. The moment you call him your friend, he is ... the stronger you feel he is your friend, the more he is so.

So do ask ... without any egos ... and he takes care ... very good to seek help .

Love!
    Silence

--> Though i did not have the inclination to write this today, something prompted me to reply thus. Please ignore if anything is against your beliefs or anyone's ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear Mystical Soul ji,
    Namasthe!

Love!
    Silence

--> Though i did not have the inclination to write this today, something prompted me to reply thus. Please ignore if anything is against your beliefs or anyone's ideas.
    Dear Silence, thank you ever so much. Nothing was needed more today than your valued words of wisdom. I think maybe God prompted you to write because I have been in anguish over some things and I now feel much better about calling on God in earnest.

Since I have embraced Sanata Dharma I have not had any such issues and now I know I can bare my soul to Shiva who is my image of God.

Thank you again.
    Peace

Namaste Silence

When I gave the same advice [to other people] on the thread "Thought Watching" you responded as if you could not bear the idea of KRshNa and His devotee :

smaranam:
    Why not take KRshNa with you everywhere? Everyone talks about sAdhanA, will, tapsyA, discipline. Do you really need sAdhanA to live with the Lord of the heart?

silence_speaks:
    Because where is he not that one has to take him with oneself ! Right now, here ... you are already immersed in him ... swallowed by him.

The language of advaita is no different:
    This body is like a room ... inside there is space, awareness. The body is jada, lifeless and awareness is untouched ! inbetween a few thoughts float about ... where is the "I" ??

Awareness alone IS!! Even when we speak of body its a relative proposition.

---

Then you went on to say how devotees are addicted and have the 6 shaDripU within bhakti.

============

So now my question to you is:

Where is Shiva NOT that you have to speak to Him or cry to Him !!?? Does He not already know what your situation is and what you want??

AWARENESS alone IS !!!! etc. etc.

-----------------
    Hope you have learned some lesson.

I was also writing for an audience just as you are writing for an audience on this thread.
    Last edited by smaranam; 31 October 2014 at 12:27 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Dear Smaranam ji,
    Namasthe!

I am sure my message was misunderstood there and I hope its not misunderstood here.

Smaranam ji ... its important to appreciate the intention. I do not "Jump" on anyone... . When a friendly discussion happens, one gives the benefit of doubt to the friend. If we start to interpret every act as an attack, it becomes impossible to convey.

If you were writing to an audience, that is so nice Smaranam ji, that is what I was asking through all those questions. There was no attack on you or anyone. In my previous post, my audience was you ! And the very fact that i spoke of the highest truth to you just goes to show that to me you are an uttama adhikari. I treat people as uttama adhikaris ... because people are special. Only few times when people are sad, down or unhappy due to events and seek some support do I suggest prayer to God, so that they can come out of the situation and redeem themselves.

And yes, one lesson i learn is that my vision never got shared all along ... I wish I could convey the vision more effectively or may be its not for me. It is like ... i was running away from a shadow taking it to be a ghost and then thanks to some noble people, i learn that it is only a shadow... and LO! in my joy i try to share it with people who think that i am actually an agent of the shadow ghost trying to seduce them to get gobbled by the shadow-ghost.

Love!
    Silence

Dear Silence [ji]

I apologize for any strong words, but know that I always knew you had good intentions and do appreciate that. How can I forget the whole exercise you did with us some time ago (Necromancer, Mana ...). Please accept my praNAm.

Shri KrshNa is my sarvasva (all in all, everything), and my Guru -- which is included in sarvasva. Therefore, He gives His devotees the freedom to be , on a day to day basis -- whether One with Him/melt into Him and stop existing or in leela, whether they want to sing or to simply revel in Him. He knows what is best. There is no harm in leela or bhakti, there is no bhaya (fear) for those "parked" at His Lotus Feet, there is no dvandva (contrary opposites) or dvaita (dualism / seperateness) in it, and He is realer that any of us here, not an imagination of the mind. I do not want to divert this thread so I shall close this topic here.

Thank You. _/\_

Sri Krishna is not an imagination of mind, obviously.
    He is the one in whose presence mind imagines up all sorts of things ... and resorting to whom all imaginations cease and he alone IS.

Anyways lets not deviate the purpose of the thread.

Love!
    Silence

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    If we start to interpret every act as an attack, it becomes impossible to convey.
    Namaste

Just a note. I never said it was an attack. It is like a friend or mother coaxing you to eat something because they think it is good for you.

Sometimes the flexibility and choice is better. The state of pseudo-turIya is not appealing to some devotees who have smelt the tulasi on Brahman-ParamAtmA-Paraweshwar-BhagavAn's Lotus Feet, while it may be, to other devotees.

Your vision and message is understood, we did not miss it, thank you.
    Last edited by smaranam; 31 October 2014 at 12:33 PM.

Thread Information