Thread: DenMark - is it Dhenu Marg ? way of the Kamadhenu the cow

DenMark - is it Dhenu Marg ? way of the Kamadhenu the cow

I had a friend forward me an interesting interpretation of Denmark. He interprets denmark as Dhenu Marg , Dhenu = cow, Mark or Marg is way.
    Very interesting because Denmark is the largest exporter of dairy products.

I would like to know what you guys think about this. I remembered this forward when Gill was talking about the shiv linga in Mecca.

Namaste,

dAna-mRga and dAnu-mArga are the likely Sanskrit origins for “Danmark”.

“Denmark” is the English spelling of Danmark, and Denmark has only been exporting milk products for a relatively short time.
    Although dhenu is certainly related with dAna and dAnu.

In Russian Denmark is "Dania", which supports Sarabhanga's statement.

There is one school of thought that thinks the Danes, and Denmark, originate from the Celtic Tuatha da Dannan (meaning: Children of Danu, Danu being a Rig-vedic river goddess and one of the many wives of Kashyapa Muni in the Srimad Bhagavatham.)

Historians and archaeologist are starting to talk about a marauding race of peoples that they've called the Proto Celts (Tuatha da Danann), although evidence for them is scarce. But it's thought that they sort of marauded into India around 2-3,000 BC and then marauded out of again a thousand years later. The Gundestrop Cauldron is attributed to them, see below:

It was found in Denmark and is dated to around 1,000 BC. What we have here is a cross-legged yogi figure in an antlered headdress.

Now look at this impression from the one of the Harappan seals, dated circa 3,000 BC.

It shows another cross legged yogic figure wearing an antlered headdress.

And then (below) this is obviously a much later picture of Shiva - but look at what he's holding on his right arm, and then look at the Shiva on the Gundestrop Cauldron again.

Hmmm....!
    Gill

Thread Information