Thread: The correct verbage in regards to "goal"...

The correct verbage in regards to "goal"...

Hari Om!

Please let me preface my query with the fact that this soul is very ignorant in many regards and am here to learn from those far more along the path than I. The intention is also not to get caught up with word games or to go around in circles, but after reading several definitions am lost as never before. Let me explain.

A very distinguished spiritualist with whom I discussed my desire to progress in Brahmacharya stated that the first and foremost goal should be to merge with Brahman. Am not sure exactly what this means or how to sit with it mentally. Not so certain that there are steps, or are there? Sadhana, yes or so it would be assumed. But, how to get "there" as if it were a place in the first place. Words cannot correctly convey the confusion that abounds in my mind or how to best express such.

It would be so easy to go back to this person with the exception that they are on a sabatacle for an undetermined amount of time and cannot be reached.

So I ask, is anyone willing to share thoughts on and experiences related that may shed some light on this? My most sincere appreciation for any consideration you might give.

Om.

Re: The correct verbage in regards to "goal"...

Dear c.smith,

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Words cannot correctly convey the confusion that abounds in my mind or how to best express such.
    Om.
    Indian spiritual education otherwise known as Word wisdom has its base on orally transmitted utterances of Great Seers; therefore, it has to happen through the spoken words alone; yet any kind of verbose nonsense is not warranted either.

Listening has to be continued until we are totally satisfied and fully convinced of the wisdom teaching.

======

Hari Om!
    A very distinguished spiritualist with whom I discussed my desire to progress in Brahmacharya stated that the first and foremost goal should be to merge with Brahman. Am not sure exactly what this means or how to sit with it mentally. Not so certain that there are steps, or are there? Sadhana, yes or so it would be assumed. But, how to get "there" as if it were a place in the first place. Words cannot correctly convey the confusion that abounds in my mind or how to best express such.
    Om.
    This is the real way in which the spiritual instruction commences. The studious seeker will definitely counter the teacher with the question:

“O Revered Sir. What is Brahman?”

In case of such an attempt of response, the teacher will definitely explain what Brahman is.

======

Hari Om!
    Please let me preface my query with the fact that this soul is very ignorant in many regards and am here to learn from those far more along the path than I. The intention is also not to get caught up with word games or to go around in circles, but after reading several definitions am lost as never before. Let me explain.
    Om.
    You have not explained any of the lessons that are learned so far. By doing such an elaborate explanation, other members who are engaged in similar practices can identify your position within the ambit of this particular system of thought; and also, they can develop a mutual understanding that could help them starting a conversation on the same topic by standing on common ground.

Explanation may include details like;
    System, teacher if any(his works if any), philosphical Literature base, What is the truth according to this system, Universe according to this system, Ethics if any, sadhana, Years of practice completed, your experiences, Why aspire for a change or a better goal etc.

======

Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Hari Om!

So I ask, is anyone willing to share thoughts on and experiences related that may shed some light on this? My most sincere appreciation for any consideration you might give.

Om.

Vannakkam C. Smith. I'm not really sure what to think as I wasn't there to hear what said person stated. First can mean two things ... 'first' as in time, and 'first' as in ultimate or most important. I'm, also not sure which school of thought the person is coming from.

Merging with Brahman is indeed the ultimate goal for several schools. The nature of said merge can be different. Some will say as water into water, whereas others may say salt dissolved in water, with the salt retaining a permanent difference. But to consider it the first goal as in time is probably quite rare, although there may be some who think that. There are some advaitin schools (And I hesitate to call them that) these days who beleive somehow you can skip over all the steps and jump right into a quest for this 'merge'. But in my humble opinion, this can only be done if said merge is simplified into a mere intellectual concept.

In most schools there is a definite path to be followed, and various terms are used like charya, kriya, etc. But the bottom line is th eworld of experience (karma) will hold you from this ultimate anyway. So then that first goal becomes 'stilling the mind for 2 seconds' of practicing ethical behaviour, or controlling anger, (and many more) for without all of these more 'mundane' things being under control, this merge would be impossible.

I hope I made it less confusing, not more confusing.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Thank-you for the generous replies and more to ponder.

A YouTube link with a little more about me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mos5_qmDsQk

Also, was given instructions to study Swami Sivananda's " Practice of Brahmacharya" from the Divine Life Society which goes into quite some detail on many topics. Inquiry on "Who am I" is a process that I am encountering as is writing my view of and vow of brahmacharya at this point. Am far from being done with the book as it is one that you read some, think, practice, practice some more, and reread what you had just practiced. Self Realization is my ultimate goal. Hope this gives you a glimpse and a little insight into where I stand today.

Om

hariḥ oá¹
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

A very distinguished spiritualist with whom I discussed my desire to progress in Brahmacharya stated that the first and foremost goal should be to merge with Brahman. Am not sure exactly what this means or how to sit with it mentally.
    Well begun is half done , so the saying goes. So I offer this for your kind consideration. To suggest one merges with brahman is all well and good yet it infers it is separate from you , and who you already are.
    If I merge into traffic I am joining a flow that is already in progress and I am entering into to it; same with a flowing river . I can join it and go with the river. Yet with brahman it is a bit different.

We are that already - no merging. It is for us to recognize this again; some say re-recognition of one's own real nature. It is like the sun shining down all the time. Yet to the person on the ground they may see a cloud that blocks the sun. Yet the sun is shining in full force. It is only from the point of view of the person on the ground that thinks the sun is not shining.

So, what are the clouds that need to be removed? Some say stress and strain, others say vÄsanÄ-s¹, still others say conditioning. It is for sure the sum of all 3 in varying proportions. It is then one's practice (upÄya) to exhaust these 'clouds' that are in the way.

iti Å›ivaá¹

1. vÄsana-s - impression remaining in the mind , the present consciousness of past perceptions , knowledge derived from memory ; conditioning
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information