Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why prescribed number of japa rounds?

Question Why prescribed number of japa rounds?

I'm into the Hare Krishna mantra but I don't feel alright when doing it on japa. A religious group prescribes 16 rounds of japa but I have a hard time achieving just one. I also like mantras like Om namah Bhagavate Vasudevaya for their beautiful sound. I like mantras being spoken or sung slowly. What would you suggest to me?

Re: Why prescribed number of japa rounds?

Start with what you are able to do consistently, that is what Srila Prabhupada said. I'm guessing you are probably in contact with ISKCON folks, and really only 16 rounds is required if you are seeking initiation or are initiated. If you are not, there is no prescription.

Sri Matre namaha,

If that mantra was given to you by your Guru, only he can advice you on the number.

If you are doing it out of your choice, you can decide on the number for yourself.

For me, the love and devotion with which we chant a mantra is more important than the number.

Regards,
    Rameeshh
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    I'm into the Hare Krishna mantra but I don't feel alright when doing it on japa. A religious group prescribes 16 rounds of japa but I have a hard time achieving just one. I also like mantras like Om namah Bhagavate Vasudevaya for their beautiful sound. I like mantras being spoken or sung slowly. What would you suggest to me?
    Namaste.

If you can manage it, 108.

Usually, I do any multiples of 9 (as 9 goes into 108), so, 9, 18, 27, 54 etc.

You have problems chanting just one round though? Why don't you 'feel right'?

You should chant whatever mantra your Guru gives or what you feel most comfortable with.

You are obviously a Vaishnava, so for me to suggest a Shiva mantra wouldn't apply anyway. lol

I love the sound of the Gayatri Mantra or Mahamrityunjaya Mantra.

I never finish one round of the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra as I am usually in deep meditation about mid way through it.

....but my favourite Mantra:

Aum Bhatuk Bhairavaye Namah

Namaste

Is it right to chant maha mantra ( krishna nam ?) for a fixed round only ? If you are in the line of vaishnab dharma of sri chaitanya mahaprabhu, can you tell me with authority who of the parikars or associates of mahaprabhu used to chant or japa maha mantra on beeds for a fixed round ? chaitanya charitamrita madhya lila 21 chapter says that "karma japa yoga jnan bidhi bhakti tapa dhyana // iha haite madhurya durlava"

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    I like mantras being spoken or sung slowly. What would you suggest to me?
    To continue speaking and singing the transcendental Holy Names slowly, taste them, and see where it takes you. This suggestion is specifically tailored for you. Yes, om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya (12 syllabled - dvAdashAkshari) is also a very good mantra when sung.

------------------

To answer the question "Why a prescribed number of rounds?"

The answer is not tied to Chaitanya ShikshA or any school. This is general information for any mantra.

1. The prescription is AT LEAST x rounds, not ONLY x rounds. The idea behind that is to stay with BhagavAn, to stay with your inner dweller (antaryAmi) for at least that long, so it keeps your consciousness richer for the rest of the day. Usually people are in the world, have duties, have habits, and schedules, which they go about automatically. They interact with the world as part of it, both voluntarily and involuntarily. If you do a certain amount of japa in the morning and then go into the world it makes a difference in the quality of being.

2. In Bhagavad Gita, Shri KRshNa says "Among yadnya, I am the japa-yadnya" (Chapter 10, Vibhuti Yog - where KRshNa points out the best in all things as His vibhuti). So, this japa is an act of sacrifice, a yadnya for the Supreme Lord. Each name, each syllable we chant is an offering to Him. He is so kind and generous that He notes each utterance of His name. So when you call Him with love a 100 or 1000 or 10000 times, He wants to reward the devotee with puNya - by purifying them first. This way we get purified little by little till the reaction of past karma are all burned by His kindness and Grace.

3. This thread - although not the most ideal, is not a bad place to mention purashcharaN of a mantra.
    purashcharaN = pura - (prior) + charaN as in charyA (devotional or sacrificial act, gesture, behaviour)

next post...
    Last edited by smaranam; 03 October 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: purascharaN - if spelled with a u instead of a people may mi
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

PurashcharaN of a mantra is a sacred vow to chant the mantra as many syllables it has times 1 lakh (ek laksha). This makes one purashcharaN. Then, complete as many purashcharaN as the number of syllables. (This is done over time, not in one day! )

e.g. a simple mantra - dvAdashAkshari - om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    12 syllables.
    One purashcharaN = 12 X 100,000 (lakh, laksha) = 1200,000
    That would be 1,200,000 / 108 = 11111.11111 rounds

So 11111 rounds will complete one purashcharaN.

Take Bramhan GAyatri mantra. 24 syllables.
    One PurashcharaN of gAyatri = 24 X 100,000 = 2,400,000 mantra repetetions = 22222.2222 rounds of 108 roughly.

24 such purashcharaNs (because 24 syllables) would complete a major yadnya.

* There are certain lifestyle rules and austerities one follows during purashcharaN, it is called anushThAn. e.g. eat a light meal with almost no spices, observe specific sittings for japa such as sunrise-sunset-noon-night, sleep on floor or on a simple mattress, bramhacharya, talk less, etc.

Usually the Guru suggests or the disciple takes it up themselves (because the antaryAmi - KRshNa in the heart gives them that 'buddhi'),
    after permission from Guru. If the Guru feels they are ready to do this, gives the green signal.

I suppose this topic must be around in one of the HDF threads, knowing all the vast subjects it has already covered. We can read more about it by searching on the keywords.

Hare KRshNa
    Last edited by smaranam; 12 October 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: purascharaN - if spelled with a u instead of a people may mispronounce it; 10-thousandth place digit was missing

The devotee got purified in the process, just as an ore of a precious metal is heated and melted till you get pure molten gold.
    tapa = heat. This is tapascharyA, an austerity that purifies the person of lifetimes of conditioning, and takes them towards moksha (liberation), or shuddha bhakti (pure devotion), or their true nature, the eternal blissful AtmA - sacchidAnanda (sat + chit + Ananda).

To be purely devoted, one has to let go of anartha ( impurities) accrued via lifetimes of worldly existence. There is so much conditioning one has to wash off. Only then chaitanya shines through, nirapeksha (expectationless) ahaituki (self-motive-less) ananya (one-pointed) bhakti (devotion) shines through, prema - Pure Love of God shines through.

However, there is no deadline as such, so we must identify what works for us, and take it from there. Things will change as we advance.
    "I want to sing, I want leisure activities like listening to music, "
    all this falls off slowly, till one becomes desireless (except for the desire to serve BhagavAn via this japa yadnya / desire for realizing one's real nature).

_/\_

Namaste
    Does japa has any place in chaitanya mahaprabhu’s vaishnabism ? Chaitanya charitamrita never says a word on japa. It only says about nam sankirtan. So far chaitanya charitamrita is concerned, it does not mention about any round of nam japa nor any associates of chaitanya mahaprabhu is found to practice nam japa on beeds for specific numbers. Chaitanya mahaprabhu never taught any of his associates to utter a mantra or to japa nam on beeds. All they did is only nam sankirtan. Nam sankirtan has a very special place in the philosophy of chaitany mahaprabhu’s vaishnabism . Before chaitanya mahaprabhu , nam sankirtan was not practiced by other vaishnab sampradaya although they practiced nam japa which is also practiced by various religious groups . Even believer in Islam and Christianity also use to japa on beeds. Therefore nam sankirtan is a unique feature of chaitany’s vaishnabism.Whether japa having prescribed numbers is preferable to nam sankirtan or not is to be ascertained by the bhakta him/her self. Some one may also treat both japa and sankirtan at the same level but vaishnab in the line of chaitanya mahaprabhu should know what chaitanya charitamrita says. In Anta lila chapter 20 it says :
    Harse prabhu kahen suna swarup ramaray
    Nam sankirtan kalau param upaya
    Trans : mahaprabhu says to swarup damodar and ramanand ray that nam sankirtan is the ultimate way in kaliyug.

Sankirtan yajne kare Krishna aradhana
    Sei to sumedha paya krishner charan
    Trans : such person is very intelligent who performs Krishna aradhana by doing sankirtan yajna and such intelligent person gets shelter at lotus feet of sri Krishna .
    Nam sankirtan haite sarvanartha nas
    Sarvasubhodaya Krishna premer ullas

Trans : nam sankirtan can make one free from all evils and by doing all good it initiates flow of Krishna prem.
    Sankirtan haite pap sansar nasan
    Chitta sudhwi sarva bhakti sadhan udgam
    Krishna premodgam premamrita aswadan
    Krishna prapti sevamrita samudre majjan
    Trans: by practicing sankirtan one can destroy pap sansar , can attain chitta suddhi or purification of mind which leads to develop sarva bhakti sadhan and thereby develop Krishna prem to feel premamrita which ultimately takes to association of Krishna or Krishna prapti to enjoy Krishna sevamrita.
    Therefore vaishnab in the line of chaitanya mahaprabhu need not pracrice nam japa for any kind of purification etc.
    Khaite suite jatha tatha nam laya
    Desh kal niyam nahi sarva sidhvi haya
    Trans : chaitanya charitamrita says that place, time or rule make no sense for nam sankirtan. We can do it anytime anywhere even while in eating or sleeping without following any rule.

The most important aspect of nam sankirtan has been mentioned in the sloka “ nayanang galad-asru-dharaya ……….” Which means “ Hey sri krishna, when such day will come to my life that my eyes will be filled with tears running down( bigalita asrudhara) ,my voice wil be choaked with emotion or the hairs of my body will be erected in an ecstasy of joy while I will be uttering your name”. This is the state which can be attained through nam sankirtan. I do not know whether any body can enjoy such state of ecstasy by doing prescribed round of nam japa as he has to count .

Regarding purashcharan , chaitanya charitamrita says in 15 th chapter of madhya lila :

Tabe ramananda aar satyraj khan
    Prabhur charane kichu kaila nibedan
    Grihastva vishoee aami ki mor sadhane
    Sri mukhe ajna kara prabhu nibedi charane
    Prabhu kahe – krishna seva vaishnab sevan
    Nirantar kara krishna nam sankirtan
    Trans : when ramananda raya and satyaraj khan prayed to mahaprabhu that being householder how ccould they do their sadhan, mahaprabhu advised them for krishna seva , vaishnab seva and non stop ( nirantar) krishna nam sankirtan.
    Ek krishna nam kare sarva pap kshaya
    Naba bidha bhakti purna nam haite haya
    Dikshna purashacharya vidhi apeksha na kare
    Jihva sparse achandal savare udhvare
    Trans : only krishna nam can destroy sarva pap and also nava vidha bhakti ( nine steps) also can be fulfilled by doing nam sankirtan.
    Diksha or Purashcharya is not necessary for nam sankirtan.

Namaste

It has already been demonstrated by Smaranam and me in another thread that japa has been prescribed for the followers of Sri Caitanya!
    "Nam sankirtan and Nam japa" thread: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=11481

It is not true that followers of Sri Caitanya did not practice japa!

regards

Thread Information