Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thought watching

Re: Thought watching

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Hello, Reddiji
    I am sorry if you felt this way. I was
    1. responding to a post made by GramesJi about KRshNa-katha being the solution
    2. writing to and for VirajaJi (the OP who started this thread) knowing that she is a VaishNav, VishNu bhakta.
    Now you see why Grames ji also brought up the topic.
    Both of us were actually speaking straight to Virajaji.

However even without your post I was going to stay away from the thread.

We get engrossed while speaking to each other (it is satsanga for us - like-minded beings) and forget that others are around. I shall not do so anymore.
    Shubha Deepavali
    Thanks smaranamji
    Im sorry if i hurt you un-intentionally. It is just that i believe actions speak louder than words. I really have a hard time,when a person calling himself a devotee of a particular god makes a hyperbole that God walks besides him or talks to him etc etc. Because for a real devotee there are no "others" and there is no question of a separate satsang as he sees god in everyone. Weird i find, when a person with whom God(father of all) walks by, demarcates his children along the lines of sat and asat sang. Its like a mother who loves one child more for being fairer.

Also there is a difference between devotion and superstition. If God really walks with a person, he would automatically become all knowledgeable and becomes a trikalajnanasampanna. So can you ask the god who is walking next to you to tell you something about the fate of the ill fated Malaysian airlines? or can you ask the best person in your "sat"sang to answer that? Because that will save the world a lot of time, energy and give it some hope. Also, that day "fallen" "mayavadis" like me would redeem their lost faith in forms and stories and will be ready to serve the "lotus" feet of devotees full of "sat" like your highness.... so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by ajreddy View Post
    Namaste virajaji

Are you saying dettachment and aversion to wordly things are byproducts of only krishna bhakti? So you mean an atheist cannot remain a good person and remain detached? Or a christian or a muslim or a jew or buddhist are by birth prone to all these bad things because they dont know who krishna is or they dont consider stories to be absolute truth?
    Namaste AJ Reddy ji,

Did I ever tell one cannot be 'superhuman' on their own? What I said is that true and steadfast Krishna bhakti on the part of a sadhak 'makes him superhuman' even if he is not!

There is no question on whether or not superhumans can be born on their own, irrespective of Krishna bhakti.

Please do not put your own words in my mouth.

Cheers,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear Viraja ji,

How can we say he does not hanker after worldly things ?

Kirshna and Krishna related things become his new world
    so now he hankers after these other worldly things

so he is still troubled by kama, krodha, lobha, moha, madha, matsarya:

kama: desire. Desire to pray to Krishna! I want to listen to Krishna's stories. So if someone becomes a hurdle on his way to fulfill his desire, he is unhappy.

Krodha: Anger: he is angry when someone disturbs him and does not allow him to pray!

Lobha: greed: he wants more and more of krishna's leelas.

Moha: Delusion : since he says that when i listen to krishna leelas i am with krishna when i do not, i am not with krishna !

Madha: pride: that i am a great krishna devotee.

Matsarya: jealousy : if i go and tell him i see krishna every day and have my breakfast with him! He is gone !!

He has just replaced the current world with a new world! That's all.
    Love!
    Silence
    Dear Silence,

I am not arguing the above traits will not be found in a budding Krishna bhakta. However it is to my belief that if a sadhak takes 1 step towards the divine (Krishna or Shiva or Devi or any devata), the divine will take 1000 steps towards the sadhak.

So when a Krishna bhakta exhibits the above traits, the divine will respond and make him a perfected soul.

What is important is that, with Krishna being is only goal, his mind will be preoccupied by the bliss of bhakti and in that state, his wordly hankerings are less likely to manifest and thus he is not competing with 'another successful person', he is not envious of 'another successful person', he is not cheating 'to acquire wealth' and so forth. Ofcourse, these apply to the advanced sadhak.

I will stand corrected if any of my above statements are proven false.

Cheers,

Viraja

Namaste smaranam
    If this thread is in the hare krishna or vaishnavaite forum i would genuinely accept whatever you are saying. On the contrary it is not a pleasant thing for others, to see your personal love and personal beliefs being imposed and rubbed all over the forum.
    This thread in question has nothing to do with a personal belief system and so it was unfair on your part to give the rest of the world a view of krishna and how sweet his stories are to you etc. Not that we are averse to them,but when you have a seperate forum for yourself, it is not a wise thing to do.
    How would you feel is a devotee of shiva or devi comes and writes all sorts of imaginary posts about them and fills this thread?
    Lets leave personal beliefs aside and stick to the question of which this thread was made and definitely the glories of krishna will be the last thing as a non believer in imaginary forms like me would want to see
    Dear AJ ji,

This is a very general topic and as suc open to all devotees. If Smaranam ji had his own way of explaining things with Krishna bhakti, so be it. If a Shiva bhakta were to respond and explain using his Shiva bhakti, so be it. And so forth... No need to be angry with Smaranam ji.

Regards,

Viraja

Weird i find, when a person with whom God(father of all) walks by, demarcates his children along the lines of sat and asat sang. Its like a mother who loves one child more for being fairer.
    Bg 9.29 samo ’haṁ sarva-bhūteṣu
    na me dveṣyo ’sti na priyaḥ
    ye bhajanti tu māṁ bhaktyā
    mayi te teṣu cāpy aham

I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service (bhajan) unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him.

So can you ask the god who is walking next to you to tell you something about the fate of the ill fated Malaysian airlines? ... Because that will save the world a lot of time, energy and give it some hope.
    Go and tell all your governments to stop the search. That Malaysian Airlines flight propeller failed and the plane fell in the Tibetan mountains. Not northern, western. Some people died of the shock, but are souls who left the body in Kailash parisar. Some survived, and slowly but steadily began living a forest life away from civilization. They have no desire to come back into the civilization. They are at peace. They have lost all desires and ties.
    Family members of the passengers who fall in these two groups must not grieve. Both groups are peaceful within or without the body, sharIra.

sarvetra sukhinah santu
    sarve santu nirAmaya
    sarve bhadrAni pashyantu
    mA kaschit dukha bhAgbhavet
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Bg 9.29 samo ’haṁ sarva-bhūteṣu
    na me dveṣyo ’sti na priyaḥ
    ye bhajanti tu māṁ bhaktyā
    mayi te teṣu cāpy aham

I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service (bhajan) unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him.
    Namaste smaranamji
    Thanks a lot. Is that why Krishna gets a hunchbacked woman trivakra back to normalcy for giving him some sandalwood paste and then he kills a poor washerman for not giving him some clothes?
    Here we lowly humans refuse to award death sentence even to terrorists and there the supreme all loving soul, loves to kill anyone who refuses him clothes
    Also Thank you for letting me know even God needs to be bribedI need to redefine my spirituality from now on

And regarding your malaysian airplane answer,, do you have any proof for whatever you said? Or is it one of your purports?

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

How do you watch your thoughts and ward-off negatives from it? I have been practicing it for sometime, while I am aware of and try to keep away negative emotions, still, sometimes the emotions are too powerful (as when someone disses you for no wrong on your part) that you are bound to react.

What do you do when facing challenging emotions? Do you practice ahimsa at those times to try to elevate yourself spiritually?

Thanks.
    Namaste Viraja di,

My apologies as I have not read all of the replies.

There are two solutions

1. Short term
    2. Long term

1. Short term:

Devotional method:

Do what is right at that time. Suppose if there is bursting of anger, then you cant control it. But after the incident is over, forget and forgive all those involved. Pray to God, 'Oh God please take away my anger'. Pray to God to forgive you and and also pray to God to give you strength to forgive those who hurt you. Say, " Oh God, take away all the negative energies, all negative emotions and fill me with divine qualities. Where there is hatred, let there be love, where there is violence, let there be peace.

If you stay too much with negative emotions, you will feel that God is far far away from you. Can you afford it? What do you want, God or world?

Yogic method:

Sit on chair, relax. Have couple of deep breaths. Relax. Be aware of breathing. and let go, just let go. Let yourself loose, you jaws may drop. Recall the person with whom you had a quarrel, 'visualize his face in front of you. Raise your hands to chest level with palms facing outwards (in blessings posture). The face is say 1 ft away from your palms. Visualize divine white light (brilliant white light) coming from above your head (into sahasrahAra chakra) passing through neck, shoulders, hands, palms and then reaching the face of person. Also be aware of anAhata chakra if possible. Let the energy flow for 1 minute. Repeat for other persons involved.

Repeat it 2-3 times in the beginning. If you sincerely surrender to God with full force, then you will immediately feel peace in your heart. You will immediately feel light.

Note: It is necessary to activate anAhat chakra. If it is not activated. Touch the centre of chest with fingers, recall any good incident in your life. For spiritual person, recall name of God, chant it a few times.

Always remember that what has happened, has happened. One cannot continue to live in guilt. So the best is to surrender to ISTa-devatA.

GYAni's approach:

Let the negative thoughts come, do not entertain, be aware of them, soon, thoughts will loose their power. Always remember that you are different from thoughts and mind. Mind gets it's power from Soul, Atman, Brahman. So you, i.e. 'I' can exist without thoughts, but thoughts cannot exist independently without the power of Brahman.

Be aware, stay de-focused (thats what is awareness), do not let yourself get dragged into the incident. Right now you are not fighting with anyone, but you are sitting in your room. What has happened is past, just let go. Right everything is happening in your own mind, so it is entirely your own mental construct. It is like a person shouting on mountain peak hears his own voice as echo. Right now, everything is happening in mind. So be aware. Soon, OM will pop up automatically (or start chanting it) and silently and smoothly shift the focus on OM, surrender to OM, be aware of origin of the sound 'OM'. If you can manage to be aware from where OM originates (and terminates), then thoughts will look to have little power. Brahman is all peaceful, SAntam Sivam advaitam, OM

Honestly, everything is just a construct of mind, it is not what it looks like

2. Long term method

Prevention is better than cure

Daily practice japa. Give more importance to God then world. Always be ready to sacrifice world for God. It is in japa that mind becomes still, one pointed. For sAkAra upAsanA, it gets fixed in one form of God. Later when you can be aware of full form of God, be aware of a part. bhAgavat purANa says, be aware of face (as face has all 5 senses). I am more comfortable with gazing at the holy feet. For advaitins, one can be aware of Guru's feet or even any form of God to felicitate the mind to turn introvert and dive deep within.

After your mind is absorbed in the lotus feet of Lord, the little 'I' does not remain. It is only God. This is bhAva samAdhi. One can feel the image of the Lord in the heart, but at times, the image can disappear and one begins to feel the lord as antaryAmI. Sri Abhinava vidyAtirtha (shringeri SankarAcArya and guru of current SankarAcArya Sri bhArti tirtha ) had this experience when he was meditating on narasimh bhagavAn.

So, when you daily practice japa, you realize that thoughts disturb you and the incident pops up breaking your meditation (japa). This is because you have given too much importance to the incidence. But now you have awareness that you should not have engaged in futile verbal fighting. after regular practice, japa mantra continues even when you are working, you are always aware that a part of mind is always chanting it. As soon as you stop your work, immediately, without any effort to recall God, the mantra pops-up automatically.

This awareness of mantra increases the 6th sense. When any incident happen, a inner voice will whisper, 'Do not hit back, Do not reply'. Just trust it. Or japa mantra will pop up. For a moment there will be no thoughts and you will become conscious and still. This is an indication that should be aware of mantra and only have faint awareness of the incidence (i.e. someone shouting at you) . If you manage to have this experience, then you will stay aloof and after react only that is necessary, else you will have the strength to gulp down the humiliation, as mind is more concerned with staying with God then keep pondering over worldly issue.

Once a person has awareness of japa mantra or the image of God in heart, then such a person will not much care about what the world thinks. s/he can easily reboot and caste away lower emotions. This can happen if one gives less importance to world and more importance to God.

Staying more and more with God like chanting mantra, stutis, bhajans, etc is very effective or do atma chintan (self enquiry). Plese do not be awre of a chakra specially AGYA (ajna) chakra, it may cause headache. Being aware of anAhat for some time is fine, sometimes, one feels too heavy if one is aware of sahasrahAra chakra. You may even have a headache.

Always begin any spiritual procedure with prayer. Pray to God to accept you as his refuge. You can even pray to AmbA or kundalini devi (for yogi-s). Always pray to guide you and show you the correct path. Always end any spiritual procedure with a thanks giving prayer and with a feeling of gratitude for God. There is no harm in accepting that there is a higher authority and that you do not feel ashamed to surrender to almighty.

----

Also note that since we live in this society, hence you cannot live like a saint. There are times and situations in which you got to react, as it is necessary. Do not worry too much, just do what is necessary. But dont just keep living with negative mindset and move on with life.

I have shared my thoughts on non-violence and vegetarianism here

btw, Happy Diwali and peaceful New Year to All.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar Viraja ji,

I practice this in my home relationship too. Rather than fight or argue about something, I bow to Sri Shiva in the form of my spouse and I find it calms me so that we can discuss instead. This doesn't always help if my other half is spoiling for a fight though, but that hasn't happened for some time (knock on wood).

Finally, going to Temple always helps me to recharge and reading scripture and the writings of the wise help to give me direction.

I hope some of this is a help.

~Pranam
    Dear Pranam, thank you for all of your entire post. I shortened it because I do REALLY need to see more of Shiva in my wife. The next time something she does bugs me (and it is ME not her), I will remember this post.

Like you I go to temple and it is very calming for me. With Shiva, Ganesha, Durga and the others I get recomposed and centered. Thank you again, seeing posts like this and others here make me so happy to have joined this forum. It helps do for my soul what exercise helps do for my body.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

How do you watch your thoughts and ward-off negatives from it? I have been practicing it for sometime, while I am aware of and try to keep away negative emotions, still, sometimes the emotions are too powerful (as when someone disses you for no wrong on your part) that you are bound to react.

What do you do when facing challenging emotions? Do you practice ahimsa at those times to try to elevate yourself spiritually?

Thanks.
    Dear Viraja, thank you for asking this. I have wrestled with anger for most of my life. Since studying Hinduism though I have learned to try to put my ego in perspective. Since most of our transgressions start from there. Pretty obvious when I think about it but in the forest all you see are trees.

Also, as I have learned, thoughts create negative karma for me and that in itself has made me more aware of emitting negative energy. As Jesus said, as one thinks so one is. Hum....scarey.

As far as Ahimsa, I had not heard of it till now, but I may practice it by simply catching myself and redirecting my energy. It is hard to do in traffic and in crowds so I try to avoid those triggers. Clearly I can't always so I solicit the help of which ever form of God is most applicable at the time. It helps.

Going to the temple, meditating at home shrine, listening to spiritual music and having discussions like this. They all help.
    Peace

Thank you for the wonderful reply, Amrut bhai. It was very enlightening and refreshing to read your reply, and also I felt very happy that we have among us someone as young (as you) and as deeply thinking, insightful and devoted as you. If you remember, sometime back in the thread I posted on Shri Hanuman and Shri Rama, I did tell you I noticed a subtle change in my own emotional constitution. I used to be way too sensitive and emotionally dense that even minor upsets used to cause an emotional reaction in me. This quality has been improving, not that I am getting thick-skinned, but emotionally more stable and calmer, I have been doing my daily sadhana for nearly 4 yrs now... I think this helps. I will continue with nama japa and sadhana, as adviced by you.

Thread Information