Thread: Jyotish and Ayurveda

Jyotish and Ayurveda

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

We can find that Jyotish and Ayurveda are complementary. That is, the timing of dis-ease, ones constitution, some aspects of treatment, etc. can be viewed in ones jama kundali (birth chart).

Where Jyotish falls short and must rely on doctors is the actual diagnosis. An excellent viadya can do pulse diagnosis¹ and ascertain ones existing health and future health conditions by this method.

That said, for those studying jyotish and wish to gain some information on this , consider Essentials of Medical Astrology, by Dr. K S Charak. Dr. Charak, whose jyotish guru is K.N. Rao and I had the good fortune of talking to, does a nice job and provides useful information on this matter.

The book is comprehensive and well written. Among many, you will find one section useful for chart analysis: Indications of Ill Heath and Recovery found in Chapt 9.

Perhaps a few posts on this matter will be interesting discussion.

Dis-ease, undesired happenings, excessive physical labour, and dissociation (inablity) to obtain the object of desire, these 4 cause physical torments (dis-ease)... Mahabharata, Aranya Parva

pranams

1. nadi vijnanam - the art of reading the pulse
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Jyotish and Ayurveda

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

within Ayurveda it is suggested the vata imbalances, initially, is the beginning cause of dis-ease. From a graha perspective, who owns what? Lets take a look and you will see where the grief comes from.
    • Surya (sun) - pitta - fire.
    • Chandra (moon) - kapha ( water) and a dash of vata ( Air)
    • Mangal (mars) - pitta - fire
    • Bhuddha (mercury)- all three - pitta, kapha and vata
    • Guru (jupiter)- kapha -water
    • Sukra (Venus) - vata and kapha in excess
    • Sani (saturn) - vata - air
    It is interesting to note that all 5 elements reside in these 3 (tridosha) humors (vata, pitta, kapha). The 5 elements we have discussed before - they are the mahabhutas, earth, water, fire, air and either (prithvi, jaja, tejas, vayu and akasha, my favorite).
    • vata is air
    • pitta is fire ( some call agni , others call it tejas) + water (jala)
    • kapha is water + earth ( jala and prithi)
    But where is akasha? It is found throughout. Without space, there is no room made for anything to exist.

It is said the body is 80% (+/-) water. Note then the effects of the moon/chandra + guru. Yet for all this water to have a home in the body, it does not happen without space. But who owns space? Guru. The best benefic of the grahas, that you are surrounded in, within you and without you in space ( thank you George Harrison for that line of wisdom).

Notice that the owner of vata is sani, also with 'excess' vata found in sukra, or venus.

Sani, is initially the owner of grief, but this grief is not given out without 'earned' due cause., as he meters out ones karma that requires discipline without compromise. I know this sani well in my life.

He alone is fire, He is the sun, He is the wind, He is the moon, He is the shining stars, He is Brahma, He is Prajapati... Yajurveda

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 January 2008 at 08:04 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    It is said in the Mahabharata (Aranya Parva) that all beings are subjected to mental and physical ailments.

Its our lot in life (I suppose) as having a physical body acting within the elements.

As some of the initial posts on this subject suggests, we can see some of the indications in ones birth chart.

One quick technique as an indicator is locating gulika. Gulika is considered a shadowy graha that is without body, but with influence. Its considered the ambassador of Sani. Some think both mandi and gulika are one and the same. Both can be calculated based upon the division of the day.
    For now we will not pursue the calculation, but can be found in any std. Jyotish book for your use.
    In this Jyotish folder we have also called out the various groupings of houses (rasi):
    Ayu stanas - houses of longevity ( 8th and the 3rd) and the lack therein
    Maraka sthanas - houses of death - 2nd and 7th
    Upachahayas - houses that grow over time 3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th
    Trik sthanas also known as dusthanas - considered challenging, causing setbacks and the like. The 10th is the best of the group IMHO and always wondered why it has been grouped here becasue it too is a kendra.
    The trikonas - the 1st , 5th and 9th houses - that are very favorable , owned by Sri Lakshmi
    The kendras- the 1st again, with the 4th, 7th and 10th houses - owned by Sri Visnu

So if we boil this down it looks like this:
    Trines - prosperity and flourishing the 1st, 5th and 9th houses
    Kendras - Sustenance and vitality - 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th ( 10 is my favorite)
    Upachayas - gains and growth , with increase over time 3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th
    Dusthanas - Setbacks and Obstacles 6th, 8th, 12th
    Argula sthanas ( we have not talked about , as it is a bit more difficult to explain via typing) - brings decisive influences , or locks influences shown in a chart. The 2nd , 4th and 11th houses counting from the rasi in question.

Now, that is a quick lay of the land. The question now becomes where does gulika reside? Where does arishta reside? We know if a malefic is placed in challenging houses (dusthana) then you can expect good results. Placed in trines and some of the quadrants there are challenges.
    Here are some of the results offered based upon Dr. Charak's book mentioned in the above posts.
    I do take exception to some of his conclusions, yet will yield here to keep the post clean , yet will mark my concerns accordingly.
    Gulika influences in the following houses. Note other things can counter act these influences as I have seen, yet here is the list:
    1st house - ailments and miserable
    2nd house - disablement
    3rd house - a dusthana , good position
    4th house - excess vata and pitta constitution
    5th house - short lived individual with the potential of impotency
    6th house - a dusthana , good position
    7th house - weak body
    8th house - easily provoked to anger ( suggests pitta imbalance)
    9th house - weak body and mind
    10th house - no issues, yet I suggest there are issues on the job-career front; yet this has more to due with mental strain and its influence on ones body health,; Ayurveda clearly indicates the body-mind connection
    12 house - disabled or of poor appearance; I disagree, as the 12th is a dusthana then the rule applies of a malific in a dusthana house; I need to look at more charts to mount a reasonable rebuttal that can be offered to the good Doctor.

I have also found gulika in the same rasi or bhava of the lagna lord bring illnesses also. One must always look to the lagna lord and its associations.

Another area one can spend time in is the D3 Chart, or the drekkana¹ chart. It is said we are divided in 3rd's - the head area, the neck to the navel, and the navel to our feet. each area owns a part of the body.
    1st drekkana (starting with the lagna or 1st house) owns the head,
    2nd drekkana owns the neck
    3 drekkana owns the pevis
    LIke that each one-third divsion then takes ownership of a specific organ, so as we go to the 2nd house, and the 1st drekkana there, it owns the right eye, then the 2nd owns the right sholder and the 3rd drekkana owns the private parts. This goes on for each house ( 12) and for each 1/3rd divsion for a total of 36 compoents ( 12 x 3 = 36) of the body

One then can see the influence of grahas positioned in these drekkana postions to see their influence.

pranams,

1. drekkana is pronounced dreshkana; sarabhanga offers dreSkANa, drekkANa, dRkkANa, and dRkANa, are all acceptable pronunciations.
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 January 2008 at 09:21 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

We have laid a nice foundation on Ayurveda and its connection to Jyotish.
    there is additional Ayurveda info if one cares to read more about it at this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356

Yet one thing that wold be worthy of some discussion is what does make a heathy body from a Jyotish orientation? Here's some thoughts for your consideration.
    The top 10
    1. A strong Lagna ( or Ascendent)
    2. Strong lagna lord and Paka lagna
    3. An unafflicted moon ( chandra) for mental health
    4. Benefical yogas - Dr. Charak likes sunaphA and anaphA yogas; I also think Ravi ( sun) yogas are of great inport , as sun is the karaka of the 1st house.
    5. Malifics in the dusthana houses - 6th and 8th and 12th
    6. Beneific in trine houses ( the home of Sri Lakshmi)
    7. Benefics in kendras ( the quadants 1,4,7,and 10th) home of Sri Visnu
    8. Sani in the 8th house of longevity
    9. A strong atma karaka - the king of the janma kundali
    10. Favorable placement of gulika - the last post offered reviews this.

Let me parse out a few ideas here, without becoming exhaustive... no one likes to read a 3-page post .
    • A strong lagna
      > This suggests a house that is occupied by natural benefics e.g. Jupiter, Venus, an unafflicted Mercury, Moon, etc.
      > Also - and I find this helpful is having the lagna rasi also be vargottama. that is the lagna rasi in the birth chart is also found in the navamsa or 1/9th divisional chart.
      > Beneficial aspects - that is rasi dristi and or graha dristi - the sign looking to the lagna or the graha looking on the lagna are desirable.
      > A raja yoga occurring in the lagna is also favorable
    • A strong lagna lord
      > that is a well place lord of the lagna. The location of the lagna lord is called the Paka Lagna; This can also be in the SAME house as the Lagna itself. This placement is well received when in a friends house.
      > The Lagna lord involved with raja yogas give the 1st house strength.
      > The lagna lord placed in the 10th house, gives it dig bala ( some write dik) or directional strength.
      > The lagna being in its exalted position e.g. Jupiter in Cancer, Sun in Aries, etc. is very good for health.
    • An unafflicted moon
      We know the moon is karaka for the mind, and a healthy mind contributes to ones body health.
      >One yoga that is typically called out is duradhara yoga. That is when the moon has grahas to the left and right of chandra. That is, a graha in the 2nd house form the moon and the 12th house from the moon. The merits of this is wealth, charitable. This contributes to ones overall health, providing ones life with balance.
    • Malefics in the 6th , 8th and 12th houses
      Malefics in an malefic house turns out to be a positive. Kinda like a negative X negative = positive. Now to confuse the issue, if the graha in question is retrograde then the positive part does not manifest. So, if the graha has the power to do harm to ones health, this reverses that influence.
    These are just a few... I will add to the list if there is interest.

pranams
    Last edited by yajvan; 19 January 2008 at 06:43 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Jigar Guest

Yajvan,

The aurveda of jyotish can be obtained by keeping an eye on what you are eating. Similar to but not the same and example is:

Spike: a baby's honey spoon with whiskey.
    ( I am not sure if that is a crime scene to investigate )

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Jigar View Post
    Yajvan,

The aurveda of jyotish can be obtained by keeping an eye on what you are eating. Similar to but not the same and example is:

Spike: a baby's honey spoon with whiskey.
    ( I am not sure if that is a crime scene to investigate )

Namaste Jigar,
    can you advise:
    - what is the connection to jyotish? or the linkage?
    - what is the expected outcome of honey + whiskey for a child?

thanks
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information