Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two different dates for Krishna Janmashtami??

Re: Two different dates for Krishna Janmashtami??

hello and namaste
    Add Illinois too!! Anyone from Chicago...?
    Mana ji, in this case, not so much Pope G, but simply DST_ji! <LOL>
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 August 2014 at 04:11 PM.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Dear rohiniji
    please tell me when im supposed to fast :P
    I stay in santa clara CA. 16th or 17th/

hello and namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by ganeshamylord View Post
    Dear rohiniji
    please tell me when im supposed to fast :P
    I stay in santa clara CA. 16th or 17th/
    (Ganesha) ji,

I am an astrologer and leave matters pertaining to determination of religious fasts etc to the priests.

If, sadly, they cannot come to an agreement, then my sincere wishes for Happy Janmashthami(S); all three if you have the stamina and desire! God is merciful and values sincere devotion more than anything else!! Anyways, fasting is good for health and reduction of karmic burden, so a win-win!

But seriously, trust your priest on that and adopt the mindset of a true *believer*!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 August 2014 at 04:12 PM.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Namaste ganeshamylord,

On a more serious note; Kṛṣṇa Ji was born at midnight on Kṛṣṇa aṣṭamī so if you wish to fast until his birth time in his janma tithi. You should fast on the 17th until midnight.

Kind regards.
    8i8

Namaste,

The Janmashtami celebrations for Sri Vaishnavas is on 19th Aug 2014. Until this morning I thought it was on the 17th and then I happened to read the hand-written note from HH Jeer Swamigal of Ahobila Mutt that this day is due on 19th August only.

Please see the reasons stated in the note, translated into English in the following: (One can find the Tamil note in this link).

1. In this Jaya year, in the Simha month, 2 Rohini nakshatras - one on 19th August and another one on 16th September come by. We will follow the one (of these 2 dates) which is approved according to 'SriVaishnava Sadhachara Nirnayam' which is a 'SriSannidhi Aahniha Grantha'.

2. Originally Krishna Jayanthi happened in the month of 'Avani' (Tamil month) in Krishna Paksha in Rohini nakshatra and Ashtami thithi. On this particular day, not even for a split second should there be Sapthami thithi in the morning. If it is so, then it is 'vedai' (against the purity of the thithi). Similarly, Krittika asterism should not be there even for a split second in the morning. Thus, an Ashtami Rohini without a bit of Krittika or Saptami is the right period.

3. If you cannot get such a pure Ashtami Rohini, then a pure Rohini Navami can be used to celebrate the occassion.

4. If you cannot get even a pure Rohini Navami, then a Navami or Dasami thithi with 'Mrigasirisha' asterism can be used to celebrate Sri Krishna Jayanthi.

5. As per the rules stated above, since 19th August 2014 is a pure Rohini Navami thithi, only that day should be chosen for celebrating the birth of Sri Krishna, as per the wish of Srimad Azhagiyasingar.

In addition, in 'Iswara Samhita', in the 13th adhyaya, in the 'Jayanthi Nirnaya Prakarana', it is said that either in Ashtami or in Navami or in Dasami, if you get a pure Rohini nakshatra (untainted by Sapthami thithi or Krittika nakshatra), then Vaishnavas should use only that as the auspicious thithi/day for celebrating the occassion. Vaishnavas should never resort to a Rohini that has been tainted by 'vedai' such as Krittika nakshatra or Saptami thithi.

Thus according to these reasons, Sri Vaishnavas/Vaishnavas should use the date of 19th August 2014 for Sri Janmashtami celebrations.

Signed, HH Jeer Ahobila Mutt.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste

Those of you who are interested to know when to celebrate and fast on
    Sri Krishna Janmastami per Iskcon (Gaudiya vaishnava) calculation see at http://www.vaisnavacalendar.com/ where you need to select your desired Country and City from the menu at right (on the web page).
    There it says "Astami, Sri Krsna Janmastami, (Fasting till midnight)". Per my understanding this means that fasting starts with the beginning of the day and ends at midnight. When the day begins? The day begins with sunrise.

In fact the purpose of celebrating this day is not a fasting in itself but is a recollection of the Lord Krishna. http://www.vaisnavacalendar.com/cgi-...nam=janmastami

As it's described in the Brahma-samhita (5.33):

advaitam acyutam anādim ananta-rūpam
    ādyaṁ purāṇa-puruṣaṁ nava-yauvanaṁ ca
    vedeṣu durlabham adurlabham ātma-bhaktau
    govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi

"I worship Govinda (Lord Krishna), the primeval Lord, who is inaccessible to the Vedas, but obtainable by pure unalloyed devotion of the soul, who is without a second, who is not subject to decay, is without a beginning, whose form is endless, who is the beginning, and the eternal puruṣa; yet He is a person possessing the beauty of blooming youth."

Note here that the Lord's form is mentioned to be "He is a person possessing the beauty of blooming youth", nava-yauvanam -- a blooming youth.
    It's confirmed in the Atharva Veda that the Lord has a form which is eternally youthful, ageless:

akāmō dhīrō amr̥taḥ svayambhū rasēna tr̥ptō na kutaś canōnaḥ
    tam ēva vidvān na bibhāya mr̥tyōr ātmānaṁ dhīram ajaraṁ yuvānam

"Desireless, serene, immortal, Self-existent, contented with the essence, lacking nothing, is He. One has no fear of death who has known Him, the atman -- serene, ageless, youthful." (Atharva Veda 10.8.44)

ajara -- not subject to old age, undecaying, ever young
    yuvan -- young, youthful

regards

Thread Information