Thread: Sleep and dreams in Vedas and Upanishads

Sleep and dreams in Vedas and Upanishads

Hi List members,

I am scientist by training. I am writing a research article on ancient history of sleep in which I would like to cover the aspects of sleep and dreams in vedas and upanishads. This is one of the reason why I joined this forum.

In the literature, there are many upanishads talks about sleep and dreams. I have gathered some information. Since many of you would be expert in Sanskrit (I don't speak Hindi or understand Sanskrit) as well as commanding knowledge on vedas and upanishads; I would appreciate if you could throw light on this subjects. Ideally, I would like to gather the information, then present then in a table format. Then explain them. For example, which upanishad, which verse or stanza talks about sleep, turia, dreamless sleep, etc. I hope you get the point.

If you have any information that you feel could be useful for me, could you please get in touch with me so that I could provide you my email. Thank you in advance for all responders.

Re: Sleep and dreams in Vedas and Upanishads

I think Mandukya Upanishad may be of help.

In addition to the identification of how many upanishads (out of the 108) talks about sleep (to prepare a ready reckoner), dream, and consciousness; on a related note to sleep, I also would like to know related information about sleep the following text I found online:

It is Nidra Devi who is the Goddess of Sleep, and Her prayer is in Chapter One of the Chandi Path, from Verses 70 - 87. In addition, all of Chapter 12 discusses removing bad dreams and changing them into good dreams.

Can someone knows what this verses 70-87? could you please share it with me along with the chapter 12? Is there a statue or picture of Nidradevi available somewhere? I couldn't locate through google! I am pretty sure there must be some information about Nidradevi. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anomika View Post
    Hi List members,

I am scientist by training. I am writing a research article on ancient history of sleep in which I would like to cover the aspects of sleep and dreams in vedas and upanishads. This is one of the reason why I joined this forum.

In the literature, there are many upanishads talks about sleep and dreams. I have gathered some information. Since many of you would be expert in Sanskrit (I don't speak Hindi or understand Sanskrit) as well as commanding knowledge on vedas and upanishads; I would appreciate if you could throw light on this subjects. Ideally, I would like to gather the information, then present then in a table format. Then explain them. For example, which upanishad, which verse or stanza talks about sleep, turia, dreamless sleep, etc. I hope you get the point.

If you have any information that you feel could be useful for me, could you please get in touch with me so that I could provide you my email. Thank you in advance for all responders.

Namaste Anomika,

Unfortunately I can't help you, but I would like to welcome you to HDF. Hopefully you will learn a lot about Sanatana Dharma here.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information