Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily practice of Mouna

Daily practice of Mouna

As part of my daily sadhana, I've wanted to commit to a period of mouna - say perhaps the 2 hours during brahma muhurta when I do my puja, etc. Problem is, I seem to catch myself talking to myself, making little noises etc. Does anyone else? Does anyone else practice and have any pointers? Your feedback is appreciated.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Re: Daily practice of Mouna

Vannakkam c.smith: In some monastic sannyasin orders, a vow of 1 year or more is taken. Other cave dwellers go for the whole lifetime communicating by pen and paper only. You have difficulty for 2 hours? I have difficulty for 5 minutes.

Aum Namasivaya

If you just mean not speaking, that's very easy.

Smile Re: Daily practice of Mouna

Namast, C. Smith,

When I started thinking about the sacredness of words and breath, it was then that I noticed just how many noises I seem to make, all of the time. Humming, in particular, was a problem. (Thank goodness I work at home and spend nearly all of my time alone!)

Mouna will help you become more aware and attentive to all sounds you produce, and from your post it sounds as if it's working. A teacher once suggested a beginner meditation aid to me, which might help you for sound as well.

Keep a slip of paper and a pencil near, and each time you notice yourself making an inadvertent sound, make a mark. The end total for each session may be discouraging at first, but no doubt the number of unintentional interruptions will reduce as you practice more.

Many people are afraid of silence; I know several who can't seem to function without the radio or TV playing at every moment. If you're accustomed to sound, quieting that noise can be as frightening as sleeping in the dark for the first time. I find, also, that I tend to talk to myself when I'm scared about doing something new and/or failing, and that the "conversation" is really "procrastination." A gentle, quiet, mental conversation with yourself to ask "Am I afraid of being silent, and if so, why?" might provide some answers, and perhaps a focus for a meditation or two.

Don't be discouraged; instead, humbly remind yourself that the very purpose of "practice" is to grow in skill over time, and not to soothe the ego by mastering a technique immediately!

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    As part of my daily sadhana, I've wanted to commit to a period of mouna - say perhaps the 2 hours during brahma muhurta when I do my puja, etc. Problem is, I seem to catch myself talking to myself, making little noises etc. Does anyone else? Does anyone else practice and have any pointers? Your feedback is appreciated.

Om Namah Shivaya!
    I used to practice mauna everyday when I was a child. I think one of my teachers asked us to do it once in the class and I just continued doing it everyday for 15 or 30 mins. I didn't understand the spiritual value of it and all I did was not talk for that time.

Just don't talk or make a sound. That's manuna. Now, stopping the mind chatter that's a different thing altogether and Yajvan can give you a lot of pointers on that.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,

I used to practice mauna everyday when I was a child. I think one of my teachers asked us to do it once in the class and I just continued doing it everyday for 15 or 30 mins. I didn't understand the spiritual value of it and all I did was not talk for that time.

Just don't talk or make a sound. That's manuna. Now, stopping the mind chatter that's a different thing altogether and Yajvan can give you a lot of pointers on that.
    Vannakkam: Hey, I did that with my classes. It was until noon only, but one year they liked it so much they asked on paper to continue until afternoon dismissal. Very eye-opening for all of us, perhaps me more than anyone as the teacher does more talking. Paper communication worked, non-verbal body language worked, as did the blackboard. Even did some group work or paired work. I was kidding earlier. At temple gardening, most mornings I mag go 4 or 5 hours. For me there it was mostly how much it opens your ears.

Aum Namasivaya

Are you guys serious? I'm not trying to feel superior (hehe), but being quiet (externally) is very easy for me since I'm quite introverted.

I speak very little and as of now I'm trying to focus attention on only studying psychology and the vedas.

The problem lies inside... I think the real mouna is within the mind, and well, I guess that's not really properly done in my case either, my mind talks like crazy.

These problems mentioned of people who can't stand silence is because they are afraid of introvertion, they are afraid of themselves. A common problem of modern life who preaches that you must be an extroverted person in order to achieve anything or even be happy!

Om Tat Sat

I used to get the 'feedback' from my boss... 'you are too quiet in meetings. you need to speak more. take charge.'

I used to think 'but where I came from I was taught silence is gold man.'

Then I realized he is right. There is the spiritual side and there is the business side. If I have to survive among sharks, I better speak up or be eaten. Now, I take the balanced approach.

Mauna is a great daily practice.
    satay

Hari Om!

I know that this is an old topic, but I've taken new intrest in it as I've started again.

Yes, I am having some success which I feel is progress in the right direction. What I'm finding is that the mind does "say" alot while the mouth is shut, and new for me - that half of what I'm thinking and would normally say doesn't need to be said in the first place. Not that it's nervous chatter to verbalize necessarily, just useless stuff that doesn't need to be said.

Thanks for all the advice as I'm reading over it again. It's a big help as I embark on the trail.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Vannakkam: Some days when I go to temple, or also on pilgrimage, I go with, "Don't speak unless spoken to." It's quite amazing how it opens up the eyes to stuff going on you wouldn't normally see.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information