Thread: renunciation

renunciation

Vannakkam: For those of us considering, in this or future lives, I am providing a link to Vivekenanda's famous song.

I am reminded of this as on our recent pilgrimage, the border crossing between the United States and Canada is right in or near Thousand Island Park, http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...9,r:4,s:0where Vivekenanda composed it in 1895 while here in America. It is an extremely beautiful place on the planet.

http://www.ariseawake.com/poems/TheS...Sannyasin.html

I really find this so inspiring. When you personally know sannyasins as I am fortunate to, it is even more poignant.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: renunciation

EM, Thanks for the beautiful poem and a beautiful picture of the Thousand Island Park. For those of you who may not know, back in the good old days, the thousand odd islands in the waterway (I believe it's St. Lawrence) were privately owned by the super wealthy North Americans. Most of them had their majestic summer homes built on them and grand parties were thrown all summer long to get all the snobs together. Now a days, a boat tour takes you around the big ones and the tour guides narrate the stories associated with the prominent islands/mansions. Swami Vivekanada must have been a guest of one of spiritually minded bigwigs for quite some time to pen a long poem like that.
    Last edited by Believer; 25 April 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Vannakkam Believer: One can actually visit the cottage where Vivekenanda stayed. Since my son lives in Ottawa, and I am retired, perhaps I might just do that some day. I'm sure it is a beautiful place in many ways. Even without the auric remnants of this Saint, its just such a beautiful setting. Best in the summer, I'm sure.

http://www.jubileeinitiative.org/sacredvivekananda.html

and a slideshow of it : http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3726884975632#

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 24 April 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Wow, to be able to visit the space that Vivekanada once occupied would be awesome!
    I didn't know about his stay on one of the islands when I took the boat tour some 30 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Wow, to be able to visit the space that Vivekanada once occupied would be awesome!
    I didn't know about his stay on one of the islands when I took the boat tour some 30 yrs ago.
    Vannakkam: One day when we're both really really old, we should join up and visit the place. Pick a non-rainy day so we don't slip on those flat rocks and break our old hips. But if you do fall, I promise I'll yell as loud as I can for help.

If I fall, you can just push me into the St. Lawrence and let me float away.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    One day when we're both really really old, .......
    For me that 'One day' is already here.
    >>Sliding down the 'Bandini' mountain really fast>>

I'm surprised you didn't visit "Vivekananda Way" when you were near Chicago.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_KMQ_7lxfO7E/Sj...E/DSC07276.JPG

There are also several locations in Chicago where Swamiji stayed. I believe most of them have been torn down, but there is at least one remaining.

Namaste,

EM, have you been able to visit Vivekananda's cottage yet? It would be a really inspirational experience.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

EM, have you been able to visit Vivekananda's cottage yet? It would be a really inspirational experience.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: No, but the directions do seem pretty easy. Might be a nice stop on a drive from Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa, which I will be doing some day, if my one son indeed stays where he is. That sort of thing makes for a nice break on any long drive. You have plans?

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information