Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mind and Brain

Mind and Brain

Namaste all,

I am writing this to get some more leaning about what is called Mind and what is called Brain. We know psychiatrist treats out brain. We have all seen many photos of brain, if we go to hospitals we can get a chance to see brain, doctors operate on brain, so they have seen alive brain. Some times brain commands what we say some time it works on its own. For example, if we want to pick up a pen, then through eyes, nerves, brain, processor in brain, back to nerve again to hand and we pick pen. This is how brain obeys our commands. Now there are many functions which are done without our commands. For example, if unknowingly we put our and on gas stove, brain reacts very fast, it doesn't wait for us to follow through communication channel but it orders commands to hand to take itself off off the gas stove. This is something which I know about brain.

Now about Mind, what is mind !! I know very little about mind. I am not sure if I have seen any photo of mind, and do not know exact place of mind in head. Desires are mind !! If I have desire to eat ice-cream, so that desire is called my mind ? I got angry on someone, it is described as, I lost control over my mind and slapped him. If we try to sit down for chanting but we will not be able to pay attention to mantra because there comes thought after thought, so where those thoughts comes from ? All these thoughts originate from mind ? Brain can obeys our commands in many cases, does mind obeys any of our command ? How fear something and many things, how this fear come in our mind ? , see here I use fear some in our mind. So how and from where fear enters our mind ?
    Some people are strong willed people, so they are called strong minded people ? People are practical, so how I can relation their mind to their practicality.
    Last edited by AmIHindu; 28 April 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Re: Mind and Brain

Namaste AIH,

Brain is an instrument through which the individualised consciousness operates. However, brain is not the only instrument. Some actions are performed even without involving brain like the hand-on-stove example. The instruction for removing your hand from fire doesn't come from brain here. This decision is taken within our spinal chord. Again there are various cells which function as individual entity having their own consciousness, imo, their actions too are not decided by brain.

Mind is individualised conditioned Consciousness.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Dear AIH,

As I understand.

The 5 senses in our body are only bring the information. The brain (like CPU) is processing the data.

Now without the monitor and the user can any decision be taken ? No.

Mind is the monitir screen and the the decision maker.

Once decision is taken the signal goes back to brain to process and direct the action organs to react.

Body is the car. The driver is the mind.

Now some decisions are automated, even the mind does not know. Those are the internal functions.

Some decisions are artificially embedded by practice / teaching. That is why even though you are on phone, you can reach your home safely.

Some decisions are safety / security related where it hits the panic button. At that time it is sense and react only. The planning / analysisng part is removed.

Generally for human, it is Learn, Sense, Plan, React. The plan part relates to the mind-brain function.

Hope it helps in your understanding.

The driver of the body is mind. The enabler of the mind is consciousness.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste AIH,

Mind is individualised conditioned Consciousness.

OM
    Namaste,

Please be kind enough to share some more thoughts on this.
    Is it okay to understand that mind is consciousness ? I guess mind doesn't exist in our physical body it may reside in our subtle body.

kallol
    Body is the car. The driver is the mind.
    Some drivers/minds can open and fix car/life, this is good for car mechanics but what about some drives/mind who just drive their car in a deep valley.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste,
    Some drivers/minds can open and fix car/life, this is good for car mechanics but what about some drives/mind who just drive their car in a deep valley.
    Dear AIH,

Regarding opening the car the driver is not a driver but a mechanic (analogy is a doctor).

What does deep valley imply ? Please elaborate.

Analogies are generally taken for unique feature and not all aspects.

When someone says Mr X is the pillar of his organization, it does not mean he is literally the column of the building. It means that his contribution is of utmost importance to the organisation.

When an analogy is given keep it simple and extract the essence. Going into all aspects of the example defeats the purpose.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Namaste AIH,

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Please be kind enough to share some more thoughts on this.
    Is it okay to understand that mind is consciousness ? I guess mind doesn't exist in our physical body it may reside in our subtle body.
    Mind is nothing but Consciousness and it doesn't depend upon the body to function. The body is dependent on mind to function. You are nothing but mind alone. Now, this Mind works at two level : One is the Cosmic Mind i.e. the Unified undifferentiated Consciousness i.e. God which is also called the Pure Consciousness. Pure Consciousness when tinged with vibration of desires apparently creates dream-like world with infinite individualised Consciousness which manifest as "I", "you", "He", "She", "It", "They" in this phenomenal world.

Your entity as "you" is nothing but mind alone. Though apparently limited by the body, this mind of yours is not limited by the body ... it only appears as so. You are both inside and outside of this body. Before birth you were "mind" (individualised consciousness) and after death i.e.e after destruction of this body you will again be a disembodied mind. This mind takes different bodies for fulfilling its desires and for tasting the fruits of its Karmas.

OM

Namaste,

Thank you Devotee for that answer. I would like to see if I am understanding correctly. From this Pure Consciousness as you said when tinged with desire makes many dream worlds and we could say dream bodies. Its this maya. It creates this "i" "You" , "we", etc.. The "i" or "mind" is before the body and thus for example a near death experience one says that "I" had this experience outside of body, yet comes back to the body. This shows that there is no bodily limitation for this mind. The mind itself is thought, thinking, and the I is thoughts believing itself to be a true entity and thus suffering occurs and the "I" am a body belief becomes firm and causes an illusion, though despite ego or non-ego the Pure Consciousness is always there as Awareness-Bliss seeing the Mind manifest. Is this a correct picture of what you are saying?

Om Namah Shivaya

You got it right, SS !

OM

Thanks devotee

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste Devotee ji,

My thinking was like when Mind end, consciousness starts. It is the same as you said, when mind gets matured it end here and consciousness start, or if I say in other word, it is the same mind whose name is changed to consciousness upon getting knowledge. Mind is covered with maya when maya is removed it becomes consciousness.

Thank to all of you for reply.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

Thread Information