Thread: Performing Rituals Mentally

Performing Rituals Mentally

Namaste,
    I understand rituals have an important place and I also see their necessity in many cases. I also see the benefits of performing a ritual in physicality. For example the Agni being lit in front of you raises the ether content around you, creates a certain awareness, and moreover the scriptures explain its benefits.

My question is very simple. To interact with the god-s using these rituals are they required to be performed in physicality? Did our rishi-s ever comment on this? If yes; then why? If no then beyond the rituals symbolism,I assume it would be purely to create an heir of peace, to subconsciously instill certain qualities in the disciple and manifest discipline.

If this is the case : then if the devotee performs the ritual with a certain amount of intensity, discipline, feeling, and correct intent in the mind while attempting to be in a meditative state. Would that not create the same effect or benefit?

This question sprung to my mind because I have been conducting Tharpanam every day, pouring water on my hand while it is filled with seeds and rice. How does that help my ancestors more than if I just said a prayer, or did the ritual mentally? Does it? Or does it not?

Please understand I know the benefit of Group Yajnas and so forth, but for a ritual like tharpanam that you can do alone if you please, that is where my question is born from.

Thanks. Looking forward to your opinions.

Re: Performing Rituals Mentally

Vannakkam Icy: While traveling with a local temple priest I learned that he does his entire (as does his wife) morning obligations in silence in the hotel room. It's a necessity, in his case. It takes him around an hour.

I also do my entire morning puja silently in the hotels rooms while traveling. From this personal experience I can say that it's not quite as good as at home but it suffices.

I know of no scriptural reference for this, just personal experience. Sorry.

Aum Namasivaya

Siddhi
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Rituals are found within the karmakāṇḍa portions of the veda. When properly done they will yield the desired fruit. The writings we find regarding this matter is in the pūrva mīmāṁsā ; pūrva = prior and mīmāṁsā = investigation. The desired outcomes is for happiness; the ultimate outcome is heaven.
    Compare this to uttarā mīmāṃsā also called vedānta; uttarā is considered 'the second part' some may say a continuation of pūrva. Yet in this case the intent is complete liberation and the cessation (halting) of birth after birth.

Now one must come to understand their intent and where they wish to go and the veda-s give us two maco-scopic groups: karmakāṇḍa (actions and rituals) section of the veda & jñānakāṇḍa¹ ( knowledge of brahman ) of the veda.

One needs to be cognizant of this... it is not an either-or-choice, but something to study and understand. Can one compliment the other ? No doubt, yes.

...if you do not know where you are going , any road will take you there.

do as you see fit.

iti śivaṁ

1. kāṇḍa is a ~joint~ , a connecting point; but is considered more a parvan meaning division , section . In our case it is a section of sections of the veda that addresses karma (actions) and jñāna (knowledge , becoming acquainted with the Supreme)
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranam

Shiv Manas puja comes to mind, it's a beautiful prayer. So yes it is ok to do rituals in mind.

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar...ranslation/599

There is another story unfortunately I have forgotten, vaguely an offering was made to lord Krishna, khir (sweet rice)I think, something like it was too hot, taking the remnant and the mouth was scolded.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Dear friend ,
    Just as the physical act of homa or agni aradhana purifies the atmosphere around us , mental ritual purifies , burns the impurities and illuminates the psyche .It is time tested ritual by many in the path of sadhana .

Thread Information