Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to remain young for longer period

Re: How to remain young for longer period

Namaste,

There are many practices in our culture that people adopt in their lives but don't know the source of. Some may even have been derived empirically without any authentic scientific sources or reasons. It is okay to bring out the use of certain ancient practices by prefacing with 'origin unknown' disclaimer, as long as the poster himself/herself has tried the practice and verified it to provide the claimed/desired results. But going in circles about mangoes and the planters and the seeds becomes comical. Why not just come out and say, 'I don't know the source but I have practiced it and seen it work', if indeed the poster has verified it on self. Just a thought, to keep things credible about undocumented/empirically derived practices brought to the forum. If that is not acceptable, please continue the search for the gardner who planted the seed for the mango tree.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 26 August 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Namaste,

How to remain young ?

a) Age is actually in mind. Don't accept any thought that you are getting older.
    Denial is the first medicine.
    b) Lead a disciplined life in terms of : Time, food, exercise, and thoughts.

i) Time : Nature is a strong fan of time. So, get up early in the morning and go to bed early at night. Don't take any food after sunset (or if that is not possible, take light meal of fruits).

ii) Take food only when hungry. As the years-count goes up reduce food intake slowly. You don't need much food for survival and remaining healthy after you reach 40. Food taken what body doesn't need is actually poison. Take only Satvik food as far as possible. Increase quantity of fruits and vegetables and reduce starch and sugar.

iii) Go for a long brisk walk (45 minutes or so) daily or practise Yoga. Better to take up some sports which you can play with your friends. This keeps your body and mind toned up due to healthy competition in sports.

iv) Always think positive. Help others. No ill-will against anyone. Don't be afraid of dying or old age. Live the life whole-heartedly as long as you are here on this plane so that you are ready to live after-life with a happy mind-set. Study VedAnta and books of great masters so that you develop healthy and strong mind and soul. Keep praying to God to guide you and for keeping you calm even in most difficult circumstances.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post

a) Age is actually in mind. Don't accept any thought that you are getting older.
    Denial is the first medicine.
    Vannakkam Devotee and all:

I had two acquaintances that demonstrated the opposite ends of this spectrum. One chap was active until very late, and his daughter said of him, "He thinks he's a teenager." He lived a very full life.

The other is bedridden unnecessarily. At first opportunity to stop doing stuff, he did. Nobody even goes to visit him now, and he may last another 10 years.

Aum Namasivaya

I will soon be 59 years old.

I am told all the time by others who find out my age, that they thought I was in my 30s and not 50s.

The funny thing is, I may look younger than I am, but I feel older (e.g. a bit lazy, aches sometimes, feel like I am bloated, don't like the cold anymore).

But I do have a nice set of hair, even youngsters comment on my hair (like, if I am in line buying something, and the youngster working the counter will say, "You have fantastic hair".

I oil my hair with Moroccan Argan Oil. I also use that oil on my body and sort of use it as a religious thing.

So I feel old, but look younger. My mind still is 8 years old.

So why? Well, I can guess:

(1) Fruits and nuts.
    (2) Goat milk, goat cheese, goat milk soap.
    (3) Argan oil.
    (4) Vibhuti on forehead EVERYDAY.
    (5) Lime juice on shaved face.
    (6) Ramayana.

What makes me feel tired, old.

(1) Internet forums.
    (2) Driving, driving, driving, over bridges, bridges, crazy drivers.
    (3) Relatives and friends demanding I take them on tours of San Francisco, Napa, Disneyland, yadda yadda yadda.

This is not ancient wisdom. But it is true.

I can give the most constructive idea for remaining young - that is, by AVOIDING OBESITY. I have a tendency to look much younger than my actual age, but this boon is kinda spoilt by my weight problem. I remember the time when I was in my mid-30's when I went to a hairdresser and she thought I was 24 and was taken aback when I revealed her my true age. But then, women have to survive pregnancies which are the times many women gain excess weight and have no way to lose it with full-time job, taking care of family, etc (as was my case). So in my case, I carried 80 lbs extra until 6 months ago, and then thanks to diet and exercise, have dropped 40 of it down and this has some major changes to my looks. Even in men too, weight loss is the #1 factor for reversing the effect of aging (if such a thing is truly possible ) and for looking and feeling young without the complaints of BP, Cholesterol, Arthritis, etc.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: I learned a lot from my father. On his 50th birthday, (Dec. 2) he came out to the outdoor rink we had on the farm and declared it would be his last skate, as he was too old. Twenty years later, he was still playing old-timer recreational hockey. I reminde him of the declaration 20 years earlier, and he laughed and said, "I guess I changed my mind, eh?" I have an uncle who is 97, still going strong, goes for long walks every day.

Next year I look forward to moving a couple of truckloads of topsoil one wheelbarrow at a time. The temple board wants to do it with a bobcat, but that thing is a curse word. It creates more work for me, because a shovel, a rake, and love, can plant much smoother lawns than that cursed machine could ever do.

I'm 61.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I learned a lot from my father. On his 50th birthday, (Dec. 2) he came out to the outdoor rink we had on the farm and declared it would be his last skate, as he was too old. Twenty years later, he was still playing old-timer recreational hockey. I reminde him of the declaration 20 years earlier, and he laughed and said, "I guess I changed my mind, eh?" I have an uncle who is 97, still going strong, goes for long walks every day.

Next year I look forward to moving a couple of truckloads of topsoil one wheelbarrow at a time. The temple board wants to do it with a bobcat, but that thing is a curse word. It creates more work for me, because a shovel, a rake, and love, can plant much smoother lawns than that cursed machine could ever do.

I'm 61.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vannakam EM ji,

I am also a member of an online weight-loss support forum. Someone had mentioned in there that i) 1/2 hr of jogging and ii) an hour of gardening or lawn-mowing was all that he needed to shed some *massive* amount of weight! Your post reminds me of reading that, thanks for the good idea.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information