Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian and Gluten Free

Re: Vegetarian and Gluten Free

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Indeed quinoa has been around and is supposed to be good, but Kale; I am not totally sold on. I know it is off topic, but nutritionally speaking, to me it is one of the superior vegetable family items, rather a 'must eat' item. Our local grocery store has a museum/shrine of Kale in the produce dept. with different varieties in stock because the fad loving people who 'want to live forever' are willing to spend good money on it.

Pranam.
    [/quote]

Vannakkam: The best thing (for Canucks) about kale is that it's (some varieties anyway) hardy to about -5 C, as is Swiss chard. So we eat the garden stuff for maybe a month beyond any other above ground vegetable. Have you tried kale chips?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

It is interesting to know that Kale is so hardy and provides for the leafy greeens much longer than other above ground vegetables. For us city slickers, driving in a Prius to a health food store to buy 'gift wrapped' organic kale is like going on a pilgrimage .

Kale chips, how are they made? Is it kale dipped in batter and deep fried?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste EM,

It is interesting to know that Kale is so hardy and provides for the leafy greeens much longer than other above ground vegetables. For us city slickers, driving in a Prius to a health food store to buy 'gift wrapped' organic kale is like going on a pilgrimage .

Kale chips, how are they made? Is it kale dipped in batter and deep fried?

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: Cut the leaves off, and put them on a flat roasting pan, like a cookie tray... sprinkle lightly with an oil, seasoning, roast for maybe 10 minutes, probably less.

Aum Namasivaya

I wish I could go gluten-free! I am starting to doubt my mother contracted Fibromylgia due to the amounts of gluten and unhealthy chemicalised wheat she started consuming when she came to the west. She may be very sensitive.
    I'm contemplating going Vegan and gluten-free soon....I already have a terrible choice of food when I'm out socially though, so that wouldn't really help.
    Thanks for all the awesome info EM.

May I add Chia seeds/Hemp seeds....wow!

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    I wish I could go gluten-free! I am starting to doubt my mother contracted Fibromylgia due to the amounts of gluten and unhealthy chemicalised wheat she started consuming when she came to the west.
    Vannakkam; My mother (and many others of that generation) suffered with 'digestive' problems for many many years. Back then there were no diagnoses. Tobacco was promoted as healthy. So we have a ways to go regarding salt, sugar, and other non-food foods.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: The best thing (for Canucks) about kale is that it's (some varieties anyway) hardy to about -5 C, as is Swiss chard. So we eat the garden stuff for maybe a month beyond any other above ground vegetable. Have you tried kale chips?

Aum Namasivaya[/QUOTE]

Kale has been eaten in northern Europe for centuries. It used to be "peasant food" I think your kale chips recipe is fantastic. Reminiscent of the seaweed snacks that you pay an arm and a leg for!
    Last edited by devisarada; 15 March 2014 at 01:26 AM. Reason: content

Pranam,

Devi

Quote Originally Posted by devisarada View Post

I think your kale chips recipe is fantastic.
    Vannakkam: We freeze it too. Just finished the last bag. The problem with the kale chips is they roast to quite small, and then disappear in a hurry. I think we'll grow twice as much this year. Last year a couple of plants got nailed by the dreaded cutworm.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information