Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Re: Non-vegetarian Vegetarian products

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Pranams. Great posting! I have also heard this about white sugar, and so my family does not use it. We usually purchase turbinado sugar. Cheese is a real problem - I often call the manufacturer to verify the source of rennet but I do not always trust them. Some cheese fortunately are labeled "no animal rennet" - I don't mind paying extra for these.

Please accept my pranams for upholding Vedic values to utmost even in this land.

This is very helpful for me. I will search for raw sugar/turbinado sugar today itself. Please also post any other items you know to avoid, like some cereals/pills etc...you seem to have lots of experience in this.

This request is also directed to other members to add as much as they know, even random musings, hearsay that I can research.

Trying to become as Sattvic as possible

Hare KRshNa

Krishna.com has covered this in amazing detail years ago, on this page:
    http://www.krishna.com/hidden-animal-ingredients

It may be hard to find this page from the home page, so please use the direct link above.

* You do get cheese with plant rennet. If you are in the Americas, some Indian stores also sell the plant rennet cheese slices.

* Turbinado sugar (best option), brown sugar, organic sugar, jaggery (guD - rock sugar - Indian stores) are some alternatives to bone-processed sugar.
    Jaggery works well with coconut, in halvas, and Indian recipes, but you can experiment : in muffins, pumpkin pies, why not?

* Avoid silver foil-covered MiThAi (Indian milk-sweet) if you don't know who made it. In India, well known franchises like Chitale Bandhu Mithaiwale are free of animal-leather-beaten silver foils. Most modern confectioners in India have stopped the practice, except in Andhra Pradesh and a few other places/manufacturers. They used to beat the silver foil very thin by placing it in leather sheets. Not anymore hopefully - machine made silver foils.

Best - don't buy miTHAi, make it yourself!

* Look out for vitamin D3 - comes from animals

* In Europe, check the E numbers of ingredients against the list on the Krishna.com page above.

* gelatin is an old culprit.

* Always read ingredients, labels. You never know what can be tossed into what - unimaginable.
    breads, tortillas, ice creams are not spared of animal ingredients. Nor are nuts.

* Try buying nuts with shells and whole fruits.

* Warning labels on pastas "made on surface which was used to make things with eggs" ? Its upto you - but there are companies that make pasta with no trace of egg-noodles - O-organic, local grocey store brands.

Good Luck. May KRshNa give the discriminative alertness, may Radhe make your food creatively pure-vegetarian and delicious for KrshNa.

_/\_

Radhe-Shyam
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Hare KRshNa

Krishna.com has covered this in amazing detail years ago, on this page:
    http://www.krishna.com/hidden-animal-ingredients

Radhe-Shyam
    Wonderful inputs!!! Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.

Lest that this thread becomes too negative..here's a positive one. As far as I have research Hershey's chocolate seems good. One can ofcourse never be 100% sure, but atleast they don't seem to be using animal fat for emulsifiers or rennets.

Hare Krishna!

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.
    Hare Krishna!
    You are welcome. Please try the string "non-vegetarian in food Krishna.com" or "Hidden Animal Ingredients Krishna.com" in your search engine. Google brings it first or second in list for me.

Hare KRshNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post

* Look out for vitamin D3 - comes from animals
    If it says vegetarian formula or made from lanolin, it's made from sheep wool. The sheep is not killed to take the wool, sheep have to be shaved regularly. So technically it's vegetarian. D2 is made from plants, but is not as well absorbed as D3.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 13 February 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    If it says vegetarian formula or made from lanolin, it's made from sheep wool. The sheep is not killed to take the wool, sheeps have to be shaved regularly. So technically it's vegetarian. D2 is made from plants, but is not as well absorbed as D3.
    Welcome Sahasranama! Believe it or not, I was waiting for you..I saw some other gr8 replies by you in the Veggie forum and you seem experienced as well

Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now! Its upto the reader to choose to take it or not..and a great point to be introduced. What do you think about Vitamin D in milk and cereals? Do same points apply?

Wonderful inputs!!! Thanks a lot for the info and the blessings. I am not able to reach those links, but will keep trying.

Lest that this thread becomes too negative..here's a positive one. As far as I have research Hershey's chocolate seems good. One can ofcourse never be 100% sure, but atleast they don't seem to be using animal fat for emulsifiers or rennets.

Hare Krishna!
    Yes, but isn't chocolate harvested through child labor in Africa?
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Welcome Sahasranama! Believe it or not, I was waiting for you..I saw some other gr8 replies by you in the Veggie forum and you seem experienced as well

Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now! Its upto the reader to choose to take it or not..and a great point to be introduced. What do you think about Vitamin D in milk and cereals? Do same points apply?
    It's probably okay, most likely it's plant based D2 or D3 from lanolin. In Europe food isn't fortified as much as in the USA, so this is not something I have to watch for.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Yes, but isn't chocolate harvested through child labor in Africa?
    Yes I read that. I did hear this accusation against some chocolate factories. We can never be sure of anything we eat and at what cost it is produced. Hopefully these kinds of attrocities will come to light soon and stop.

We have no way of verifying the absolute goodness in every product we buy. A simple veggie that we buy may have been using some seeds, that could have ruined a farmer's life. Or an electronic..what exploitation it may be doing in India or China. I am just saying these crimes should be rounded up in some other ways and we have no way of saying: "This product we buy promotes absolute goodness forever and for everyone."

I am just establishing some facts on the ingredients and maybe different levels of possible diets for users to choose from. Don't we all need a point to start from?

You may ask: why eat chocolates at all? I may accept it...but this thread is for all vegetarians/Hindus and their kids. And stopping chocolates, pizza etc is not an acceptable choice for most. So, it is all about choosing the better good, based on your mindset.

But if you say: "Stop buying this particular product because they have been proven to ruin so many children's lives"..then that is a great point to post.

Well, reg "sheep is not killed", lot of us vegetarians can live with that for now!
    BTW There are also vegan d3 supplements on the market.

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Gl...Softgels/46316

Thread Information