Thread: Puja without incense?

Puja without incense?

Namaste.
    Would it be inappropriate to perform puja without lighting incense? I ask this because I have a pet parrot and birds have sensitive respiratory systems. Breathing in incense fumes can end up being fatal for them.
    Do any of you have any ideas on this?
    -Noor

Re: Puja without incense?

Namaste!

I find that scented candles are a nice substitute. My mother has allergies, and when she visits us or when we visit her, we use scented candles for puja rather than incense.

Bhakti is of course the most essential ingredient for puja. Whatever you are doing, it is out of love, and your compassion for your birds is also a divine quality.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Re: Puja without incense?

Vannakkam Noor: I have allergies as well. I just burn enough to do the incense arati, and then put it out. There is no rule that one must burn the entire stick. It's actually not a necessity at all, but a bonus. Pujas can be simple or incredibly complex.

As for candles ... they are not the Hindu custom, oil lamps are. Candles in the old days were made from animal fat so we avoided them. These days its paraffin generally so the ahimsa part is okay. But most Hindus still, out of habit, don't use candles. Oil lamps are far easier too.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information