Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Travels...

My Travels...

Namaste,

My wanderlust has brought me to Istanbul, Turkey. The thing I noticed the most on the in-flight menu from London to Istanbul were the words, ' No pork was used in the preparation of above menu items' printed at the bottom. I am not quite sure that if I advocated similar words (about beef) be printed on menus for the in-flight service for flights coming to India, I would be labeled 'intolerant', 'Hindu nationalist', 'being petty for making fuss about an inconsequential subject' or worse. We do tend to give others a pass, and hold ourselves to higher (read liberal) standards. Also, as could be expected, it being a Muslim country, there is not a single Hindu temple in the city while the muezzins never miss to make a call to prayer in this city of minarets. This is from a country that wants to be viewed as a 'tolerant/civilized country with freedom for all' so as to be viewed favorably for the EU membership. Just some observations.

Re: My Travels...

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

My wanderlust has brought me to Istanbul, Turkey. The thing I noticed the most on the in-flight menu from London to Istanbul were the words, ' No pork was used in the preparation of above menu items' printed at the bottom. I am not quite sure that if I advocated similar words (about beef) be printed on menus for the in-flight service for flights coming to India, I would be labeled 'intolerant', 'Hindu nationalist', 'being petty for making fuss about an inconsequential subject' or worse. We do tend to give others a pass, and hold ourselves to higher (read liberal) standards. Also, as could be expected, it being a Muslim country, there is not a single Hindu temple in the city while the muezzins never miss to make a call to prayer in this city of minarets. This is from a country that wants to be viewed as a 'tolerant/civilized country with freedom for all' so as to be viewed favorably for the EU membership. Just some observations.
    Vannakkam Believer: The destination belies a sarcastic joke, but I shall withhold this tongue.

I usually order Indian vegetarian, or Hindu with the airline when I purchase the ticket. Airlines do vary greatly, but many are getting quite diverse, with the even things like Celiac's, vegan, kosher, and the list continues. At least there is food, contrary to some of the shorter flights on budget airlines. Have a fine time there, Islamic or not.

Are you planning on hitchhiking overland from there to the Motherland, like the hippies of the late 60s?

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Just an FYI - the airline that I fly the most does have the notation on its flights to India that beef is not used in preparation of or served aboard. They also do a Hindu vegetarian in addition to the regular vegetarian option in economy class.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Believer: The destination belies a sarcastic joke, but I shall withhold this tongue.
    Please let it out, I am dying for a laugh; even at my expense.
    BTW, I am just enjoying the scenery on the way to my destination.
    Are you planning on hitchhiking overland from there to the Motherland, like the hippies of the late 60s?
    Mind is willing but the body can't handle that any more. I will meander through here and Petra in Jordan, on my way to the Holy Land. Just taking care of the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Just an FYI - the airline that I fly the most does have the notation on its flights to India that beef is not used in preparation of or served aboard.
    Is it AA from Chicago? Just curious!

Namaste,

My wanderlust has brought me to Istanbul, Turkey.
    Indeed this is wanderlust, but please don't end up in syria, libya or lebanon in your lust to visit places. And if you do, don't start searching for temples there also. You will end up thinking about tolerance again and start venting again unecessarily.

The thing I noticed the most on the in-flight menu from London to Istanbul were the words, ' No pork was used in the preparation of above menu items' printed at the bottom.
    Seriously, what did you expect hopping on plane to Istanbul? That too probably Turkish airlines?
    If it was on a US carrier then it is not good - they should allow pork for non-Istanbulist wanderlust persons like you, but blame the americans in that case.

I am not quite sure that if I advocated similar words (about beef) be printed on menus for the in-flight service for flights coming to India, I would be labeled 'intolerant', 'Hindu nationalist', 'being petty for making fuss about an inconsequential subject' or worse.
    India hasn't banned cow slaughter, so before you ask for specific fine prints on food menu, probably you should wonder about the more basic and fundamental movement on cow slaughter in India.

We do tend to give others a pass, and hold ourselves to higher (read liberal) standards.
    If you could stop yourself from reading one word into another word for a minute, you would find that is exactly and the only way to hold on to higher standards. Standards are for self, not to police others.

Also, as could be expected, it being a Muslim country, there is not a single Hindu temple in the city
    Did you enquire if you could start one?

while the muezzins never miss to make a call to prayer in this city of minarets.
    that happens all the time everywhere in India too. Sorry if you did not know that.

This is from a country that wants to be viewed as a 'tolerant/civilized country with freedom for all' so as to be viewed favorably for the EU membership. Just some observations.
    Not calling for namaz 5 times a day and having some hindu temples are the main criterions to pass your *tolerance* test? Wow. No doubts with such depth of understanding, Indians are still inconsiquential to world politics.
    Last edited by sm78; 03 November 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste,

We are not anymore Hindu people. We follow western culture now a day. We are fashionable people and latest fashion is Christianity. What we will do with temple in Istanbul, there are so many temples in Bharat but are source of lots n lots superstitions. Our political parties are busy making money, and made this country a charitable institution. Our Bhatiya praja, is busy with their day to day chore, we are Indians, only and only when there is a cricket match against Pak, rest of the time we are western, with intellectual thinking and so much of reasoning. We hear so many katha from Maharaj but that just is for timepass. We do not follow Hinduism in life and whatever we are following, is superstitions. I would say thanks to Muslims for being in India. Due to muslim in India, Hindus of Bharat are still ( little ) united. Otherwise we can fight with each other as north and south India, Marathi V/s Begali, Punjabi v/s Gujarati, Tamil v/s Telugu, so how many combinations are possible !!! and we still say that we are Hindu.

Sorry for negative post but good wishes for your travel, and yeah, plz do shopping.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Please let it out, I am dying for a laugh; even at my expense.
    BTW, I am just enjoying the scenery on the way to my destination.

Mind is willing but the body can't handle that any more. I will meander through here and Petra in Jordan, on my way to the Holy Land. Just taking care of the bucket list.
    Vannakkam: Some bucket list, I guess. I haven't prepared one cause I figure I'll be back at least another 100 or so times at this present rate of ignorance and ego waning away.

Joke ... something about a turkey in Turkey, but that's all I'll say. It may get a bit foul after awhile. Go ahead, flip me the bird.

Happy travelling. BTW, I actually do have old friends who did the overland route. Late 60s I think. Too bad they don't just build a cheap express train from there to Delhi. All those poor war-torn states in between could use the cash flow. It could be like a people canal.

Enjoy Jordan too.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Yes, first and most importantly - happy travels!

And no, as far as I know in reference to AA from Chicago - the airline I was speaking of was Continental from Newark to both Mumbai and New Delhi.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Namaste,

Joke ... something about a turkey in Turkey, but that's all I'll say. It may get a bit foul after awhile. Go ahead, flip me the bird.
    Ha ha ha! Thanks.

Too bad they don't just build a cheap express train from there to Delhi. All those poor war-torn states in between could use the cash flow. It could be like a people canal.
    Even without the cheap express train, this people canal has existed for centuries bringing much misery to the land of Hindus, including its tri-furcation in modern times, whereby two parts went to the products of this people canal.

Pranam.

Namaste,

Even without the cheap express train, this people canal has existed for centuries bringing much misery to the land of Hindus, including its tri-furcation in modern times, whereby two parts went to the products of this people canal.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: You're so right. Memory is messed here. And it was a canal of controversy, a veritable passage of pissage, AIT, meat, monstrous mentality, and more. Even false prophets wandered those trails of trials.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information