Thread: Info on Nandi the Bull, Mount of Shiva?

Info on Nandi the Bull, Mount of Shiva?

Namaste HDF,

Where can I find more reliable information on Nandi, the bull and mount of Lord Shiva? This may sound weird, but during a meditation session I had earlier I kept having visions of a horned bull; eventually it became one of an anthropomorphic bull with a hand raised in blessing! I thought it might have been Nandi, but I could be mistaken. Can anyone help with this, please?

Re: Info on Nandi the Bull, Mount of Shiva?

Namaskar WebImpulase-ji,

I can tell you what I have read in translations of some of the Puranas, but I cannot quote exact verse. The more learned here will have more and better info than I.

Nandi took on an Anthropomorphic form when he was blessed by Lord Shiva with immortality and to be the Lord's Vahana. He often wears this form, as he had a Human form before that. He can also be the Bull we see in most temples, but there are some Temples that portray him in his humanoid form, Nandinatha.

His Humanoid form is much like Lord Shiva as Rudra, with a Bull's head. He is the foremost Bhaktar and a great Guru in his own right. He is also called a Chief in Lord Shiva's army.

His blessing you is a wonderful thing!

Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

3. Re: Info on Nandi the Bull, Mount of Shiva?

Maha Shivratri, the night of the worship of Lord Shiva, occurs on the 14th night of the new moon during the dark half of the month of Phalguna. It falls on a moonless February night, when Hindus offer special prayer to the lord of destruction. Shivratri (Sanskrit 'ratri' = night) is the night when he is said to have performed the Tandava Nritya or the dance of primordial creation, preservation and destruction. The festival is observed for one day and one night only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qElv...R_nHQM9GFAytJe

Thread Information