Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the history of Bharata severely distorted?

Is the history of Bharata severely distorted?

Namaste,

It seems to me the more research I do into Indian history that the dates are very very wrong for most major personalities and events, and I think we Hindus need to take a stand and get our history revised to reflect an accurate picture of the history of Bharat. First of all, we need to begin by insisting that Aryan invasion is dead, because this is a major historical anchor point in dating Indian history. They(Western scholars) begin our recorded history in 1500BCE with the arrival of the Aryans in India. Then from that period they date everything else. Now, as it is now overwhelmingly suggested by the scientific evidence that the Aryans were in India as far as 7000BCE, this means that Indian history has been shrank by an obscene amount of 5500 years. Therefore, we must revise the dates of most important periods and personalities in India's ancient history.

Now based on the research I have done the following revisions seem to be in order. The dating of Chandragupta Mauraya empire, currently placed by Western scholars in 322-185BCE, should be 1534BCE. The research I have looked at suggests the Western scholars misidentified Chandragupta II for Chandragupta Mauraya(there is a 1200 year gap between them in the Puranas). This means the Gupta empire(currently dated 320-550AD) is 300BCE to 185BCE. This would place the Mauraya empire in the late Indus valley phase. Incidentally, if we look at Kautaliyas Arthshastra, the urban descriptions and the metrical system described matches the mature Indus valley period(even the ratio of the mud-bricks is identical)

http://varnam.org/blog/2009/05/chand...-chandragupta/

This would incidentally put Buddha in 1800BCE.

Many major personalities in the history of India such as Charaka, Sushruta, Patanjali, Panini, Kananda, Jamini, Kapila, Vyasa must all belong in a period between 7000BCE and 1800BCE.

I have now seen some evidence that suggests that Aryabhatta lived in 2720BCE based on Aryabhatta saying in his treatise that he was 23 years old 360 years after the Mahabharata war. The Mahabharata war is dated traditionally at 3102BCE. The Western scholars based on a misprinted manuscript of the treatise, mistook 360 years for 3600 years, thus placing his date in 500AD.

I think even the 3102BCE date for the Mahabharata is questionable.

Let's make an attempt to work out the correct dates for major personalities and events in ancient Indian history. It is time that the history text books are corrected.

Re: Is the history of Bharata severely distorted?

Completely agree with you on how distorted Indian history is.

The only question is, isn't 3102BCE the date for Krishna returning to Vaikunta? The war was supposed to be about 35-37 years prior to his departure so I thought it was around 3137-3139BCE?

Anyway, lot of research needs to be done and more archeological digging needs to be conducted. However, many of the important sites are probably in Afghanistan & pakistan now.

Yes, I'll let David Frawley point out the biggest problem:

"The Indus valley culture was pronounced pre-Aryans for several reasons that were largely part of the cultural milieu of nineteenth century European thinking As scholars following Max Mullar had decided that the Aryans came into India around 1500 BC, since the Indus valley culture was earlier than this, they concluded that it had to be preAryan. Yet the rationale behind the late date for the Vedic culture given by Muller was totally speculative. Max Muller, like many of the Christian scholars of his era, believed in Biblical chronology. This placed the beginning of the world at 4000 BC and the flood around 2500 BC. Assuming to those two dates, it became difficult to get the Aryans in India before 1500 BC." (Emphasis mine...) (1)

In other words, the reasoning behind the incorrect dating of Indian historical civilization is based solely and completely on the preposterous claims of the Christian Bible. Only Christian Fundamentalists and complete wackos continue to accept the "Young Earth Theory" that the world is less than 6000 years old. (For example, this is the same "theory" that proclaims that humans and dinosaurs coexisted...LOL...)

Unfortunately, the West pretty much lost interest in studying Indian history after the British left...so there has not been as much real scholarship going on. (At least from the West. I profess ignorance of what kind of internal scholarship may be occurring in India.)

In fact, something that I plan on doing once I get those magical three letters appended to my name (Ph.D.) is to write a textbook entitled "The History of Hinduism." To my knowledge, there are no books out there that really discuss the history of Hinduism--from the Vedas to modern day India--from a positive standpoint, and without Christian nonsense or propaganda. As a history of Hinduism, however, I also want to include the history of places like Angkor Wat and other areas outside of India where Vedic religion once flourished.

And for the record, I plan on writing this book in India, and having getting the opinions of native Indian scholars on everything, in order to ensure that I don't let any unintentional Western misconceptions screw things up. My goal is not only to make a great textbook for Western people to learn about Hinduism and India...but also to make a textbook that people in India would be proud to use.

(1) Frawley, D. (n.d.). The Myth of Aryan Invasion of India. Retrieved 15 October 2010, from http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_histor...n_frawley.html

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Cool. I'm gonna have to order that.

I'll have to check it out though...but it does seem to have a rather religiously-focused theme. I want MY book to be something that might be used as a textbook in a secular classroom on the history of India or Hinduism. In America, at least, I find it unlikely that a professor would use a book like this which seems--to me at least, from looking at the synopsis--to be treating the subject from a decidedly religious perspective. (i.e., referring to "God" and the "divinity" of the Vedas and what-not...) Like I said, my goal is to create a textbook for university use by Hindus and non-Hindus alike. A different goal, it seems than the author of this book. Not that there's anything wrong with that, by the way.

Thanks for posting those links. I think I can rest in peace () now after going through the pages on that website. Finally, someone who presents the historical aspect of Hinduism in a true light.

I find that the one-dimensional idea of history is absolutely stupid. History in its truest sense is vertical as well as horizontal. The linear, horizontal view of history, as the most true, backed up by objective physical facts, is a fairylike dream constructed by modern european civilization. This view does envelop subjective experience of nature. As an individual cannot experience past events herself she has no conception of what actually has occured in past times. Physical evidence is only partial and cannot reveal the full truth. There is a discrepancy between actual events that occured in the past which are the causes of events occuring today and the present conception of the past which is a result of prior causes. These prior causes are mainly effects of ideas conceived in victorian europe - the birth of modern science and rationalism - these causes, cause people to envisage the past according to these ideas which are considered to be the 'truth'. To re-iterate we can conceive of the past only through the present but the present climate of ideas is prepared by real events in the past, which real events may not be in accordance to how the past is perceived.

A useful history for people now would only be a history of ideas and how these shape modern thinking. Any linear history would only be shaped by these climate of ideas and therefore not really be a good force for chcange.

Quote Originally Posted by amra View Post
    I find that the one-dimensional idea of history is absolutely stupid. History in its truest sense is vertical as well as horizontal. The linear, horizontal view of history, as the most true, backed up by objective physical facts, is a fairylike dream constructed by modern european civilization. This view does envelop subjective experience of nature. As an individual cannot experience past events herself she has no conception of what actually has occured in past times. Physical evidence is only partial and cannot reveal the full truth. There is a discrepancy between actual events that occured in the past which are the causes of events occuring today and the present conception of the past which is a result of prior causes. These prior causes are mainly effects of ideas conceived in victorian europe - the birth of modern science and rationalism - these causes, cause people to envisage the past according to these ideas which are considered to be the 'truth'. To re-iterate we can conceive of the past only through the present but the present climate of ideas is prepared by real events in the past, which real events may not be in accordance to how the past is perceived.

A useful history for people now would only be a history of ideas and how these shape modern thinking. Any linear history would only be shaped by these climate of ideas and therefore not really be a good force for chcange.
    There are many different "schools" of history, and not all of them are simply linear. (Annales, Marxist, etc.)

The Need to Rewrite the History of India:

http://www.vedanet.com/index.php?opt...ssues&Itemid=2

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post

And for the record, I plan on writing this book in India, and having getting the opinions of native Indian scholars on everything, in order to ensure that I don't let any unintentional Western misconceptions screw things up. My goal is not only to make a great textbook for Western people to learn about Hinduism and India...but also to make a textbook that people in India would be proud to use.

(1) Frawley, D. (n.d.). The Myth of Aryan Invasion of India. Retrieved 15 October 2010, from http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_histor...n_frawley.html

Please put me on the pre-order list! I have searched high and low for accurate texts on the history of Bharat.

I do have the above linked text and it is a wonderful resource, but I would love something a bit more 'textbooky', I guess. I'd like to be able to flip through the chapters that are a bit more outline friendly.

Thread Information