Thread: Beads for Saraswati and Lakshmi

Beads for Saraswati and Lakshmi

I have a question which I hope you will kindly response. Now it's Navaratri and I worship Kali, Lakshmi and Saraswati with food offerings and mantra. I have two malas: rudraksha which I use for, let's say, Shaivite Gods (which I consider Shiva and his family) and tulsi for Vishnu, Krishna and Lakshmi. I used tulsi mala several times while praying to Saraswati, but according to Hindu stories, Saraswati and Lakshmi do not come together (or, is it really so? Tridevi consists of Kali, Lakshmi and Saraswati). My question is: is it proper to use tulsi mala for Saraswati's mantras or should I use something else? Now I have only those two malas and Saraswati days of Navaratri are coming very quickly, so I won't be able to get some new.

I hope the question does not seem silly. I just have no much experience with worshipping Saraswati.

Re: Beads for Saraswati and Lakshmi

Namaste arek
    (or should I say Hare Krishna?)

It is the traditional view and the custom that rudraksha mala is used for Shaiva worship, whereas tulasi mala is used for Vaishnava worship.
    I think your choice is good, and you should not worry much about that you will be using for Sarasvati worship.

Actually for japa various types of malas can be used, not only those made of rudraksha or tulasi. It's just a custom to use them like described above.

- mala -- rosary

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste arek
    (or should I say Hare Krishna?)

It is the traditional view and the custom that rudraksha mala is used for Shaiva worship, whereas tulasi mala is used for Vaishnava worship.
    I think your choice is good, and you should not worry much about that you will be using for Sarasvati worship.

Actually for japa various types of malas can be used, not only those made of rudraksha or tulasi. It's just a custom to use them like described above.

- mala -- rosary

regards
    Namaste brahma jijnasa, your answer has sparked a question (as answers sometimes do). I have rosewood that I use for Shaiva worship and for Ganisha. Can't they be used for all deities? Or do I understand correctly that I must get different malas for different deities.

Thank you AUM

Namaste Arek,
    Quote Originally Posted by arek View Post
    My question is: is it proper to use tulsi mala for Saraswati's mantras or should I use something else? Now I have only those two malas and Saraswati days of Navaratri are coming very quickly, so I won't be able to get some new.
    To add to the above wisdom, though sadly not in time for Navaratri, I have read that specific to Sri Saraswati would be Sphatic (clear quartz crystal) or Pearl malas.

As Brahma Jinsa ji says, and also in reply to Mystical Soul, malas made of Rosewood, Sandalwood, Teak and Ebony are general purpose and can be used for any and all japa. Technically, it is said that Sri Laxmi lives wherever Rudraksha are kept, so you could possibly use them for her too.

I have read from some Teachers, (there's one particular article I linked to in another post I could hunt down again, if anyone desires), that one should only use one mala and not more than that. But having said that, if I were to be worshiping Sri Vishnu for a specific purpose or Holiday, I really wouldn't feel comfortable using my Rudraksha mala... and perhaps what is important here is what you are most comfortable with.

You don't need to use Rudraksha to do Shaiva japa, no, nor Tulsi for Sri LaxmiNarayan, and I personally wouldn't get such a specific mala unless I felt very drawn to do so.

All that said, this is only the perspective of a western-raised beginner. I hope I've not steered wrong.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 22 October 2014 at 12:28 PM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Namaste brahma jijnasa, your answer has sparked a question (as answers sometimes do). I have rosewood that I use for Shaiva worship and for Ganisha. Can't they be used for all deities? Or do I understand correctly that I must get different malas for different deities.

Thank you AUM

Any mala that you have can serve well even if it's not rudraksha mala nor tulasi mala, and you can use it for all deities. There is no reason to worry about it. But it's just a custom to use rudraksha mala for Shaiva worship, and tulasi mala is used for Vaishnava worship. So if you have these two then use them separately as Arek does and thus you'll be aligned with the tradition.
    I think it's better to do so according to traditional custom since there are certain reasons for that. Thus for example, it is said that Tulasi is one female devotee (and also the goddess) of Lord Krishna in the Vaikuntha world that is very dear to the Lord, and it is said that she is manifested in this material world in the form of Tulasi plants that can be nurtured and worshipped and look after, and this is counted as it was the worship of Tulasi in Vaikuntha. Not only that but of the Tulasi tree a tulasi mala is made. So for a Vaishnava worship tulasi mala is the best to use.

There are similar reasons for why rudraksha mala is used for Shaiva worship.
    More on that see at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudraksha and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum

regards

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

Any mala that you have can serve well even if it's not rudraksha mala nor tulasi mala, and you can use it for all deities. There is no reason to worry about it. But it's just a custom to use rudraksha mala for Shaiva worship, and tulasi mala is used for Vaishnava worship. So if you have these two then use them separately as Arek does and thus you'll be aligned with the tradition.
    I think it's better to do so according to traditional custom since there are certain reasons for that. Thus for example, it is said that Tulasi is one female devotee (and also the goddess) of Lord Krishna in the Vaikuntha world that is very dear to the Lord, and it is said that she is manifested in this material world in the form of Tulasi plants that can be nurtured and worshipped and look after, and this is counted as it was the worship of Tulasi in Vaikuntha. Not only that but of the Tulasi tree a tulasi mala is made. So for a Vaishnava worship tulasi mala is the best to use.

There are similar reasons for why rudraksha mala is used for Shaiva worship.
    More on that see at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudraksha and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum

regards
    Dear brahma jijnasa thank you very much for the links and the wonderful explainations. I also found another link which may interest you. You probable already know the info but it was interesting to me.
    http://sadhguru.org/atoz/r/rudraksha/ the guru has a great speaking voice too.
    Peace

Thank for your answers, guys (Yeah, I like that 'Hare Krishna'!). I've got another one. I'm more synchrenic religiously and I practice some Buddhist mantras, like 'Om mani padme hum' and 'Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo'. I feel like the first one would be OK with tulasi and the second one with rudraksha. Is it OK, when I use the same mala in both Hindu and Buddhist prayers or not?

Aum.

Namaste,

Many Buddhists use Rudraksha malas, which they term as boddhi seeds. Real boddhi seeds are from Pippal trees, or Fig, which some traditions say is the tree Gautama sat under when he achieved illumination. But fig seeds are far too smal, and so Rudraksha are one of the more common substitutes, though usually sanded down for easier handling and a more antique look. Gautama was also from a Shaivite lineage. So between these things I don't see why one couldn't use Rudraksha for a Buddhist chant. I cannot speak to Tulsi though.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information