Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guru pūrṇimā - why so?

Guru pūrṇimā - why so?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namaste

Guru pūrṇimā occurred on the 25th of July this year.
    We know pūrṇimā means fullness , and guru is the teacher, the dispeller of ignorance ( darkness).

I asked this question in another post ... why is guru pūrṇimā recognized/celebrated when the Moon (candra - having brilliancy) is in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer?

Does any of our jyotish śiya's or other HDF members care to speculate on this matter? Consider these houses from the natural location of the 1st house, Aries. And what are these houses when thinking of puruṣārtha ( the 4 goals/intent) of life i.e. kāma , artha , dharma & mokṣa. What does the Sun represent? And the Moon?

praām

words
    • candr ( some spell chandra) comes from ścandr glittering , shining

• śiṣya is the student that is engaged in śikā - learning, study, knowledge.
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 July 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: font corrections
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Guru pūrṇimā - why so?

Namaste,

Not sure if I can help you but I can quote from past Hinduism Today issue about festivals

Why is the full moon of Ashada
    the day of the guru?

In India, this day marks the start of the four-month monsoon season. Traditionally, mendicant saints do not wander during this inclement time, but settle in temporary camps where devotees gather to partake of their wisdom. The first day of learning was dedcated to honoring the preceptor, and it is believed this custom became established as Guru Purnima. The full moon is also known as a propitious time for attaining fulfillment, completeness and spiritual advancement, and for beginning all new endeavors.

I'm sorry if it's not what you needed.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Thank you for your ideas SweetAlisija and what you say makes perfect sense... Yet if we go a bit deeper there is some jyotish reasons that guru pūrṇimā occurs when it does i.e. candrá in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer.

If I were designing a day for the guru , I would have selected the time when Jupiter i.e. guru is in Cancer as that is guru's exalted¹ position. Yet that is why I am the śiṣya (student) and not the svāmin (preceptor).

Yet one must consider that natural atma-kārakā¹ the Sun (ravi) that resides in a quadrant (kendra&#185 the 1st, 4th , 7th and 10th house (bhava). Who owns these positions? The Supreme, śrī viṣṇu. The One that sustains this whole manifest creation.

By observation we know that the 4th house is a mokṣa house - that of liberation. So, Cancer being 4th from Aries , it is the natural mokṣa house in the chart. See what is unfolding ?
    The Sun as the natural atma-kārakā resides in a mokṣa house. The moon, is in the 10th. Yet what does the moon represent? Soma, mind, etc. This atma-kārakā brings peace of mind to manas, moon . Note the 10th is still a kendra owned by śrī viṣṇu, the one that brings liberation by His grace.

This grace comes via the guru and the 10th ( an artha¹ house) is the indication of 'career' yet being artha , it means aim or purpose, or how one spends one's time.
    The guru spends his time bringing liberation to the world. Hence this alignment of Sun-moon in Cancer-Capricorn is a perfect time to rejoice in the guru.

There is much-much more to this idea, but this is the basic concept offered above. We could ask who is the jagad-guru?
    From a universal point of view? from an 'earth' point of view?

praṇām

words
    • ātma-kārakā - soul significator , soul indicator, representative.
    • exhalted position is called ucca ( sounds like uchcha) meaning high , lofty , elevated
    • kendra - some call quadrants - the 1st, 4th 7th and 10th bhava from the lagna OR from a given position.
    • bhāva is from bhū becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of acting or conduct dharma धर्म that which is established or firm , steadfast decree , statute , ordinance , law ; from dhṛ धृ- that which upholds.
    • mokṣa - emancipation , liberation , release
    • artha - one of the 4 goals i.e. puruṣārtha dharma, artha, kama, mokṣa. Note artha means 'aim or purpose' - hense the guru's intent, aim, purpose is liberation of his/her followers.
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 August 2010 at 11:21 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

bump...the important date for 2012 is today, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    bump...the important date for 2012 is today, I believe.
    Vannakkam: Yes it is. I send my well wishes to all devotees for a rare treat today. May you be showered by the blessings of your Guru.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

I would have preferred we talked of guru pūrṇimā ...

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

You are quite right.
    I would love to talk of Guru pūrṇimā also; The lineage and the Guru is a wonderful thing particularly for one who has lacked such a presence for as long as they can remember; hard to grasp initially when we are from a Western clime, one in which the very notion has been denigrated.
    We could certainly learn from this tradition, learn about our selves, how to improve our schooling, our social institutions and behaviour.
    How strange that the word, Guru, can strike such fear in to the hearts of some, and yet adoration into the hearts of others.

Are there origins in the Veda of this tradition, perhaps later on from Adi shankara?
    Is there a purāṇa reference for such, a Jyotiṣa narrative that tells us of the origin Guru pūrṇimā in particular?

To where might we look in order to find the first references to Guru?

Kind regards.

Praṇām

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Guru pūrṇimā occurred on the 25th of July this year.
    We know pūrṇimā means fullness , and guru is the teacher, the dispeller of ignorance ( darkness).

I asked this question in another post ... why is guru pūrṇimā recognized/celebrated when the Moon (candra - having brilliancy) is in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer?

Does any of our jyotish śiya's or other HDF members care to speculate on this matter? Consider these houses from the natural location of the 1st house, Aries. And what are these houses when thinking of puruṣārtha ( the 4 goals/intent) of life i.e. kāma , artha , dharma & mokṣa. What does the Sun represent? And the Moon?

praām

words
    • candr ( some spell chandra) comes from ścandr glittering , shining

• śiṣya is the student that is engaged in śikā - learning, study, knowledge.
    This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time. Do you see any significance ?

praṇām

1. ucca - high , lofty , elevated ; apex of a graha's travel
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namaste

This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time. Do you see any significance ?

praṇām

1. ucca - high , lofty , elevated ; apex of a graha's travel

Guru Purnima arrives in a disciplined manner each year, but Guru remains distracted and not showing up in the classroom :-)

I wonder if this year will be different and not so much a higher number of enrollments but the teacher being more attentive to his natural duties...? <LOL>

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namaste

This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time.

Guru resides perfectly at 5º karkaṭa (cancer)rāśi¹, in puṣya¹ nákṣatra . Moon resides full (pūrṇimā) in the sign owned by guru. And who owns puṣya nákṣatra ? None other then śani ( the slow moving one, saturn).

Where is śani ? Exalted no less in viśākha¹nákṣatra. Who owns this nákṣatra ? None other then guru (jupiter).

There is more here then meets the eye.

praṇām

words
    • rāśi - ~sign~; 1/12th division; a heap; a division
    • puṣya - nourishment ; the upper most or best of anything
    • viśākha - branched; forked
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 July 2014 at 01:06 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information