Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two different dates for Krishna Janmashtami??

Two different dates for Krishna Janmashtami??

Namaste
    I am in Santa Clara California.
    I would like to ask our members if they know the exact date to fast?
    Because some say its 16th and somesay 17th august 2014?
    How is it it is celebrated on two days? And when should we fast? And please help me with the basics and tell me why it is celebrated on two days and the actual correct method of calculating the correct Janmashtami day
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 23 July 2014 at 06:56 PM.

Re: Two different dates for Krishna Janmashtami??

Namaste,

Something to get you started with,

Most of the time, Krishna Janmashtami is listed on two consecutive days. The first one is for Smarta Sampradaya and other one is for Vaishanava Sampradaya.

http://www.drikpanchang.com/dashavat...date-time.html

There is lot more out there for you to search and read.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: Right now it is 5:45 PM MST where I am. It's Wednesday. It's also 5:15 AM in Delhi, but it's Thursday. So if this particular moment was auspicious, it would on Wednesday and on Thursday.

Sometimes temples in the west just import panchangams from India without making the necessary time adjustments.

But also what Believer says. We often have differing festival daytes in different communities.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste ganeshamylord,

The discrepancy here is caused in converting a lunisolar tithi, into a solar day; the solar day depends upon the rotation of the earth, Bhuloka; The tithi depends upon the angle between the Sun and the Moon and as such, is independent of the earths rotation. Thus the tithi is given by Bhuvarloka.

The tithi at the time of sunrise is the tithi of the day, although this may differ from school to school.

Krishna was born on Krishna Ashtami; Krishna Ashtami starts this solar year in your location at 17:26:40 (7h west of GMT) on August the 16th.
    But the tithi for the day as Krishna Ashtami will be on the 17th, as the tithi for the day is the active tithi as the Sun is rising ...

As previously mentioned, this does differ from school to school, I am learning in the school of Puri Brahmin from Orisa in East India and as worshipers of the Sun God count the tithi at sunrise; others may count from the actual start of the tithi which is thus the day before.

I am speculating just a little in my assessment but my grounding is I believe solid; any who might be reading this, and find my information to be erroneous; please do step in and correct me.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter for you ganeshamylord.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 24 July 2014 at 03:34 AM.
    8i8

hello and namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Right now it is 5:45 PM MST where I am. It's Wednesday. It's also 5:15 AM in Delhi, but it's Thursday. So if this particular moment was auspicious, it would on Wednesday and on Thursday.

Sometimes temples in the west just import panchangams from India without making the necessary time adjustments.

But also what Believer says. We often have differing festival daytes in different communities.

Aum Namasivaya
    As if life were not complicated enough, a small (not exactly sure how small!) group of folks in India are insisting that "Vedic" zodiac was not sidereal but tropical and I believe they operate under the banner of Panchaang shuddhi and calendar reform and are propagating the idea that hindu festivals are being wrongly (their words, not mine!) celebrated nearly one month off the 'vedic' recommendations!

Frankly speaking, I had not been paying too much attention to the details in their sharings (mostly copy and paste and repaste!) but it all surely sounds like a big mess, across the board!!

The practice as shared by E.M. of some temples not correcting for localities sounds rather odd, since we all astrologers know the huge error that can cause. I only hope and pray that astrologers when erecting charts for nativities are not falling into that kind of erroneous zones of the time zones!

But seriously and astrologically speaking, there does exist an issue with varshapravesha, since for the annual and monthly etc charts of solar returns and lunar returns for individuals, some insist (including some icons in India) that the chart should be based on the birthplace as opposed to where the individual lives, for instance, Chennai vs Des Moines!

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Rohiniranjan
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 August 2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added salutation - our custom

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    I only hope and pray that astrologers when erecting charts for nativities are not falling into that kind of erroneous zones of the time zones!
    Ahem, what did you say?
    Oh, never mind, I see that you are a Canadian, Eh?

Pranam.

hello and namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Ahem, what did you say?
    Oh, never mind, I see that you are a Canadian, Eh?

Pranam.
    No seriously! TZ corrections really introduce lots of errors even for natal work! Some of the states (Ohio for instance) and most of east Europe used to create (and still do) a lot of errors even for those who kind of knew what they were doing! Even when using commercial software etc. :-(

A few had to post errata in already published books etc.
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 August 2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added salutation

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    No seriously! TZ corrections really introduce lots of errors even for natal work! Some of the states (Ohio for instance) and most of east Europe used to create (and still do) a lot of errors even for those who kind of knew what they were doing! Even when using commercial software etc. :-(

A few had to post errata in already published books etc.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Anyone in the forum from Ohio? Please shape up with your astrological stuff. And that holds for my Croatian HDF friend too!

Pranam.

Beliver Ji,

It would seem that I am wearing the same glasses as you ...
    Tickled my erroneous zone also.

Rohiniranjan Ji, you are quite right; I personally blame daylight saving, and pope Gregory.

Kind regards.
    8i8

hello and namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post

Beliver Ji,

It would seem that I am wearing the same glasses as you ...
    Tickled my erroneous zone also.

Rohiniranjan Ji, you are quite right; I personally blame daylight saving, and pope Gregory.

Kind regards.
    BTW, Mana_G (ji) there was no typo and no 'g' missing from the word! You can check if you do not 'believe'! <GUFFAW>
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 August 2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added salutation

Thread Information