Thread: śaṅkara-ji's chart

śaṅkara-ji's chart

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

śruti smṛti purāṇānāṃālayaṃ karuṇālayaṃ|
    namāmi bhagavatpādaśaṅkaraṃ lokaśaṅkaraṃ||

This is the traditional invocation to śaṅkara-ji. It says in general:
    I bow to the compassionate one , to the śruti-s smṛti-s and purāṇā-s; to śaṅkara bhagavatpāda who is auspicious to this world.

śaṅkara-ji-s birth is perplexing as few can agree in full of his exact time of birth; most agree on the place. I ask those interested to form an opinion and share their insights.

Let me offer what I have gathered so far. There are many data points one can draw on. I continue to look as I have not come to a satisfying conclusion on the correct or persuasive chart that seems reasonable to me. Perhaps others can advance this thinking. What are we looking for ? An extraordinary chart¹.

Most ( but not all) agree on this small part of śaṅkara-ji’s birth data:
    • We know father and mother in case anyone is interested.
    • Day: Sunday
    • time: : 12 noon also called out as abhijit suggesting a 11:45 A.M to 12:15 P.M. time frame
    • Location: kālaṭi, kerala, India with the following coordinates - ( calculated by me) Long and Lat : 10º10’2.93” N 76º 26’ 23.48” E
    Now the year. Various birth years are quoted:
    • 788 AD ( I prefer CE or Common Era )
    • 805 CE - called out as 2631 of the yudhiṣṭhira era within the cycle known as nandana and this is considered 805 CE, yet this date is contested.
    • 684 CE
    • 508 BCE ( before common era) this is offered by the various śaṅkara-ji maṭḥa-s ; some would call the monasteries of ādi śaṅkara-ji
    • 2593 of Kali Yuga or 509 BCE
    • Some say between 650 CE and 700 CE, others say between 700 and 750 CE
    The astrological indications (what was going on in the sky at this time) is the following ( all and any improvements & verified corrections are welcomed) this is where we are all over the map:
    • The nakṣatra was punarvasū - this nakṣatra extends in two rāśi-s – gemini and cancer ( so a choice is needed); We know we call out the nakṣatra to indicate where the moon resides.
    • The lagna was cancer, yet I have read otherwise ( to me it is a good fit as the 1st natural house of moksa). Yet I have read leo and aries also.
    Now to the sticky part. If you do your research you will read one view that offers the sun, saturn, mars and jupiter were all well placed i.e. śubha – bright, beautiful, eminent , distinguished; this suggests exaltation positions of these graha-s and I do not disagree in principle.

Yet if you read some sources, they offer that mercury was co-existing with mars. No issues till you consider the following:

Where is mars in exaltation ? In capricorn. And where is the sun in exaltation ? In aries. If this is the case I hope one can see the pickle this creates. Mercury is never more than 28º maximum distance in longitude from the sun. So, this placement seems odd and incorrect. It could suggest then that mars was in its mūlatrikoṇa position of aries, and this smooths out the issue of mercury, as all 3 graha-s i.e. sun, mars and mercury, would reside in aries.

So, we have aligned sun and mars to their proper locations and we know the śubha locations for saturn, jupiter.

One must decide the location of the moon i.e. the proper pada within punarvasū nakṣatra as this will not only determine if the moon is in the 1st or the 12th ( using cancer as lagna) but also the locations of rāhu and ketu ; we must also do 2 calculations – mean and true note and see which one makes most sense.

Now where is venus ? It is called out that venus resides in pisces ( this makes sense to me based upon the guru-status of venus). Yet is was not grouped with the others as being exalted , of which pisces would fit perfectly; and it fits the rule that venus is never further then 47º from the sun, so once again views very.

Let’s see if anyone has some well-reasoned inputs. Note that I am not the final authority that will offer conclusions to this matter as I continue to ponder what chart would reflect this most extraordinary human.

iti śivaṁ

1. An extraordinary chart - I will list out his accomplishments in a future email.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: śaṅkara-ji's chart

Dear Yajvan ji,

Knowing very little in Jyotish, I am not qualified to offer any insight. However, this much I wondered - Sri Shankara was a 'Shakta'. So to me, it appears that your suggested placement of Venus (especially exalted) in 9th house to Lagna of Cancer sounds quite right. Especially when his Moon could also be in lagna in own house of Cancer, such a Venus would now be in 9th house (to Moon) too.

I know various other factors come into play for suggesting someone's ishta-devata, for example, 5th house in Rasi (mantra-bhava), 12 to Karakamsa in Navamsa, 5th house of Vimsamsa, etc.

But the reason I am wondering about the 9th house Venus is because of having seen what is presumably Hanuman ji's chart having Aries lagna and Sun + Moon in 9th house - very generally speaking, it translated to me as having 'Sun for one's guru' as well as having Sri Rama + Sita for his (spiritual) father and mother.

I'm just replying to show my excitement on the topic. Kindly beg your pardon if it sounds really absurd.

Thanks & Regards,

Viraja

EDIT: I found this vedic chart of Sri Adi Sankara in the internet: http://jyothishi-pandit.blogspot.com...gavan-adi.html
    Last edited by Viraja; 19 September 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added line under 'EDIT'.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    However, this much I wondered - Sri Shankara was a 'Shakta'.
    I would be hard pressed to confirm this observation as final. Now why would I offer this?
    We look to śaṅkara-ji’s parents – ārayāmbā śivatārakā (mother) and śivaguru (father) had lord śiva as the devakula or family deity; it is tradition to see lord śiva as the ādiguru and the boon giver to śaṅkara’s parents.

Yet if one looks to the 1st line of to ādi śaṅkara-ji's vivekacūḍāmaṇi he gives praise to govinda. His selection falls in line with the ways of great masters; that there is always more then one meaning offered for the reader.

Govinda no doubt is another name for kṛṣṇa, yet with the same stroke śaṅkara gives his salutations to his guru, also named govinda. This is not coincidence but intelligence at work. But on a deeper level ( the 3rd level here) he , in one stoke, offers the notion of non-duality (or advaita ) of both God and guru as being the same.

So, one must ask is śaṅkara the vaiṣṇava ? the śaivite ? the śakta ? the tantric ? To me and above all he was the avadhūta = a + va + dhū + ta - one who has shaken off worldly obligation.
    Yet when 8 years of age he met his guru who asked, kas tvam¹ ( or who are you ? ), śaṅkara responded¹:
    • I am not mind, wisdom, pride, and heart. Or I am not ear, tongue, nose and eyes. I am not sky, land, power, and wind. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of being alive or the five types of prāṇavāyu. I am not the seven elements constituting the body (dhātu-s or the constitution of the body) or I am not the five sheaths which hide the soul. I am not voice, hand, or legs. I am not the portion at the bottom of waist (anus or liṅga). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of envy and passion or I am not the emotions of greed and attachment. I am not intoxication or I am not the emotion of jealousy. And I am not even the four puruṣārtha, (the 4 goals in life dharma, artha, kāma and mokṣa). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not puṇya or pāpa ( ~fortune/merit or or sin~), friendship, or grief. I am not the chants or shrines. I am not the Veda, the sacrifice and the oblation. I am not even the action of eating, or the one that should be eaten (food), or the consumer. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not death, I am not the doubts, I am not the differences between races. I am not a father, I am not a mother, or not even the birth. I am not a relative, I am not a preceptor, or I am not even a disciple. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss ( śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am free from changes, and lack all the qualities and forms. I am present everywhere in all the sense-organs. I am not free or I am not even associated. I am not measurable (in any way). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    praṇām

words
    • kas = ka = who ? tvam = tva = thy
    • śaṅkara responded – this is called the nirvāṇaṣaṭkam. nirvāṇa+ṣaṭ+kam
      • nirvāṇa - blown or put out , extinguished calmed , quieted , tamed ; yet as a as a noun it is perfect calm or repose or happiness , highest bliss;
      • ṣaṭ+kam ṣaṭ = ṣaḍ =6 or 6 times + kam;
      • kam can be looked as an affirmative sense of ' yes' or ' well' due to its being at the end of the word; kam has many applications and meanings, as kam is also happiness, welfare, etc. ( note too ká is a noun of brahman).
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Most extraordinary! It is said to attain the state of 'nirvana', and be eternally free, one should have paid for all negative karma and then voluntarily given up all positive karma! Sri Adi Sankara ji seems to have been walking at this state forever, when he still does the most interesting things! Such as boarding another (dead) person's body to know the secrets of family life to answer the questions posed by the wife of Mandana Mishra!

While his extraordinary gifts to mankind (108 shakti peeta, Bhaja Govindam, Soundarya Lahari, Kanakadara Stotram, to name a few) are available to mankind, his experiences and teachings in the tantra section do not seem to be available - such as how he tranmigrated into another's body, etc. Not that these are important, but it is documented that he did perform such deeds and the modern man is most skeptical of those!

Panditji, what according to you, is the planetary significations in his chart that makes him a proponent of all of the 6 margas (Shan-madas)?

I salute very humbly to this great sage to whom everyone is near and dear! He is verily Lord Shiva himself!

Dear Viraja,

We all are bound by karma (individual, familial, communal, national, global etc)?

Planets (astrology) is said to describe adequately our karmic status, our karmic stage?

One who has transcended fetters of karma, and believed to be beyond the grip of planets, probably has gone beyond the reaches of astrology?? Unfathomable in that sense utilizing the ruminations possible through astrology...?

Just a thought that occurred to me.

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Very true, RR ji! However, there is something about the planetary configurations... for instance, many people print out the jatakam of Hanuman ji, Skanda, Rama,.. and place it in their puja and worship it. This is for the belief that worshiping the gods' jatakas will nullify doshas in peoples' natal charts! So there is something about the placement! Maybe the vargas will hold the key?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Yet when 8 years of age he met his guru who asked, kas tvam¹ ( or who are you ? ), śaṅkara responded¹:
    • I am not mind, wisdom, pride, and heart. Or I am not ear, tongue, nose and eyes. I am not sky, land, power, and wind. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of being alive or the five types of prāṇavāyu. I am not the seven elements constituting the body (dhātu-s or the constitution of the body) or I am not the five sheaths which hide the soul. I am not voice, hand, or legs. I am not the portion at the bottom of waist (anus or liṅga). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ)
    • I am not the state of envy and passion or I am not the emotions of greed and attachment. I am not intoxication or I am not the emotion of jealousy. And I am not even the four puruṣārtha, (the 4 goals in life dharma, artha, kāma and mokṣa). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not puṇya or pāpa ( ~fortune/merit or or sin~), friendship, or grief. I am not the chants or shrines. I am not the Veda, the sacrifice and the oblation. I am not even the action of eating, or the one that should be eaten (food), or the consumer. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am not death, I am not the doubts, I am not the differences between races. I am not a father, I am not a mother, or not even the birth. I am not a relative, I am not a preceptor, or I am not even a disciple. I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss ( śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    • I am free from changes, and lack all the qualities and forms. I am present everywhere in all the sense-organs. I am not free or I am not even associated. I am not measurable (in any way). I am thought and joy, I am eternal-bliss, I am eternal-bliss (śivohaṁ śivohaṁ).
    based upon tradition we are also told :
    • at the age of 2 or 3 he was speaking, reading and writing saṃskṛtam
    • the showering of gold coins for a poverty-sticken woman - said to come from devī, via his partaking in the ritual - this was at 5.
    • altered the course of the cūrṇi river for his mother at the age of 7 or 8.
    • wrote his first book , the balabodha vedānga-s at the age of 7 or 8.
    • mastered all 4 veda-s and vedāṅga-s at the age of 8 or 9
    • became the sannyāsin at 8. According to legend this 8th was was to be his last, yet taking on sannyās this was his new birth and a new life span began.
    • legend has it he also met vyāsya and his life span was doubled again ( to 32 years)
    there are additional accounts of greatness one can read , these are just a few. Hence the notion of this string - narajanma durlabham ,
    a rare/extraordinary (durlabham) human (nara) birth (janma).

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Dear Panditji,

I wonder if spiritual rajayogas in Shri Sankara Bhagawadpada's chart could be explained by both traditional Rajayoga/spiritual yoga combinations as well as by 'Argala' -- sometime back, I learnt Shri Visti Larsen's argala explanation from http://srigaruda.com/attachments/071_argala[1].pdf. I was fascinated, it seemed to be capable of providing answer to every question on a chart, however one should know the foundation to apply this is it not? Like signs and their tattwa, planets and their significations, how to determine stronger signs/stronger planets, etc, to deduce if an argala is obstructed or unobstructed.. Right now, I am focusing on improving my spiritual knowledge, I look forward to the time I will get to know the fundamentals on jyotish.. Shri Sankara Bhagawadpada's chart will be the first I will examine using Argala then!

Thanks & Regards.

I have trouble to replicate the old chart in my program.

Could anyone list the longitudes of graha's and Navamsha positions so I
    can write out the chart by hand ?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Bindu * View Post
    I have trouble to replicate the old chart in my program.

Could anyone list the longitudes of graha's and Navamsha positions so I
    can write out the chart by hand ?
    One way to begin is with the placements ( by hand, on a piece of paper) of each graha in the locations listed out in post 1 above; Use cancer as the lagna and move to each graha listed.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information