Thread: Paradigm between Love & Mastery of Senses

Paradigm between Love & Mastery of Senses

Namaste everyone;

When my dad first told me I was named after Lord Shiva as a child; I was immediately intrigued by the [duality] in creation and destruction. The inherent duality which rests in no duality at all. I eventually started falling in love with philosophies of balance, and appreciating all contradictory, conflicting, seemingly hypocritical elements of prakriti (before I fell in love with Hinduism). Before I started studying Hinduism I would describe human personalities as in playful/perfect duality; seemingly contradictory but not.

Of course Hinduism expands this line of thought far beyond my comprehension, and has helped me to explore the concept more than even before. I have a very simple question, which I've seen discussed in scriptures and other places, directly and indirectly, but never in this manifestation. I would like too explore this because it is something I want to come to terms with.

What is the paradigm/duality between ''opening up''; loving everyone with ''all of your heart'', letting your senses being flooded with love for all, seeing god in all beings inherently,
    yet
    working towards, creating and maintaining a mastery of the senses, acting in moderation, action in inaction, and most importantly being the same in pleasure and pain

One requires the senses to be open and ''wordly'' to feel love on earth in its full form factor [even loving the lord would require this, no?], yet the other prescribes mastery of the senses to attain peace and eternal bliss aswell as your higher nature. However : we are still prescribed to love all beings, see all beings equally, act for the greater good, so what is this happy medium?

Is this state a result of attaining your higher nature? Or am I looking at love from only a wordly point of view? If so then that is fine; we can do work towards this state and attain it with Yoga,
    but if it is not [and] one can create harmony in this duality [while] on the path of reaching your higher nature how should one attempt to deal with this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by IcyCosmic; 07 April 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Re: Paradigm between Love & Mastery of Senses

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    What is the paradigm/duality between ''opening up''; loving everyone with ''all of your heart'', letting your senses being flooded with love for all, seeing god in all beings inherently, yet working towards, creating and maintaining a mastery of the senses, acting in moderation, action in inaction, and most importantly being the same in pleasure and pain
    when I see I am nothing this is wisdom; when I see I am everything this is love - śrī nisargadatta maharāj

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Paradigm between Love & Mastery of Senses

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    What is the paradigm/duality between ''opening up''; loving everyone with ''all of your heart'', letting your senses being flooded with love for all, seeing god in all beings inherently,
    yet
    working towards, creating and maintaining a mastery of the senses, acting in moderation, action in inaction, and most importantly being the same in pleasure and pain
    Vannakkam Icy: I see this opening up as a deeper but open understanding of love, and to enjoy it, but with affectionate attachment, or a balance.

We stand at temple, with arms open, we greet close friends with arms open, indicating an open heart. But this kind of love is just deeper than some romantic sense of it. Both bring tears, but they're somehow much different in nature.

Doubt if this helped at all, but I often felt a conundrum along the same lines. Certainly our sages and masters could do both simultaneously.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information