Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinduism Aggregation

Hinduism Aggregation

Namaste all.
    For a very long time : I've had the idea of posting this. I often feel that Hinduism has so many beautiful things/concepts/discoveries within the culture that can easily be overlooked. I thought a topic where we can come together and list things that come as the result of Hinduism such as (Vedic astrology), a discovery with the aid of Hindu Philosophy or a creation with its help (such as the first aircraft), and so forth. I often find it difficult to recollect ALL the amazing things and I think it is quite important to have a large aggregation in the long term for preservation and growth + reference. I'm sure there are things like this that exist already, but I can't find them.
    My vision is a extremely expansive list with a whole host of information from each end of the spectrum, so don't be afraid to be off the wall with your suggestions.

I'll start us off, I'll add all your replies to the main list over here in the first post.

Everyone is welcome to dispute anything on the list, or to rectify, or add suggestions.

I also welcome anyone to suggest subsidiary text for any concept [in bold] which may require expanding. For example : you may want to list all the main schools of Yoga underneath the 'Yoga' concept. You may want to list the main Ayurvedic practicies under the 'Ayurveda' concept. & so forth.

Anything that suffers from a lack of accuracy but still deserves to be on the list can still be suggested : The list can be rectified accordingly.
    • Vedic Astrology
    • Chakra Systems
    • Prana (Life energy)
    • Meditation
    • Yoga
    Abhava-Yoga, Adhyatma-Yoga, Agni-Yoga, Ashtanga-Yoga, Asparsha-Yoga, Bhakti-Yoga, Buddhi-Yoga, Dhyana-Yoga, Ghatastha-Yoga, Guru-Yoga, Hatha-Yoga, Hiranyagarbha-Yoga, Japa (Mantra) Yoga, Jnana-Yoga, Karma-Yoga, Kaula-Yoga, Kriya-Yoga, Kundalini-Yoga, Lambika-Yoga, Laya-Yoga, Maha-Yoga, Nada-Yoga, Pancadashanga-Yoga, Pashupata-Yoga, Patanjala-Yoga, Parna-Yoga, Raja-Yoga, Samadhi-Yoga, Samkhya-Yoga, Samnyasa-Yoga, Samputa-Yoga, Samrambha-Yoga, Saptanga-Yoga, Shadanga-Yoga, Siddha-Yoga, Sparsha-Yoga, Tantra-Yoga, Taraka-Yoga, & Yantra-Yoga
    • Ahimsa
    • Ayurveda
    • Palmistry
    • Pranayama
    • Tantra
    • Sanskrit
    • Mantra's, Bhajans, Kirtans
    • Core Vegeterianism
    • First Moral Compass (Right/Wrong)
    • True "Idol Worship"
    • Concept of Deitys
    • Rebirth/Reincarnation
    • Moksha/Liberation
    • Literature (incl. but not limited to Holy Scriptures)
    • Iṣṭa-devatā. (Personal relationship with Deity/Cosmos)
    • Tolerance/Respect for Alternative Belief Systems
    • Anaditva (No beginning or end)
    • Dharma
    Vyakti Dharma, Parivarka Dharma, Samajha Dharma, Rashtra Dharma, Manava Dharma, Apad Dharma, Yuga Dharma & Ashrama Dharma.
    Sanchita Karma (Accumulated actions), Prarabhda Karma (Actions begun/set in motion), Kriyamana Karma (Being made), Agama Karma (Coming/Arriving or Living/In Motion)
    • Samsara
    • Brahman
    • Atman/Soul
    • Maya
    • Satsanga
    • Sadhana
    • The 36 Tattvas (Differs according to school of thought)
    1.Suddha Tattvas (Pure Spiritual Energy) : Shiva Tattva, Shakti Tattva, Sadashiva Tattva, Ishvara Tattva, & Satvidya Tattva. 2. Sudda-Ashudda Tattvas (Spiritual Magnetic Energy) : Maya Tattva, Vidya Tattva, Raaga Tattva, Kaala Tattva, Niyati Tattva & Purusha Tattva. 3. Ashudda Tattvas (Gross Magnetic Energy) : Pradhana Tattva, Bhuddi Tattva, Ahamakara Tattva, & Manas Tattva. 4. Tattvas 17 to 21 (5 Perceptions) : srotra tattva [hearing/ears], tvak tattva [touching/skin], chakshu tattva [seeing/eyes], rasana tattva [tasting/tongue], ghrana tattva: [smelling/nose] 5. Tattvas 22 to 26 (5 Faculties of Action) : vak tattva [speech/voice], pani tattva [grasping/hands], pada tattva [walking/feet], payu tattva [excretion/anus], upastha tattva [procreation/genitals] 6. Tattvas 27 to 31 (5 Primary Sensations) : Sabdha tattva (Sound), Sparsa tattva (Feel/palpitation), Rupa tattva (Form), Rasa Tattva (Taste), & Ganda Tattva (Odor) 7. Tattvas 32 to 36 (5 Gross Elements of Matter): Akasa Tattva (Ether), Vayu Tattva (Air), Tejas Tattva (Fire), Apas Tattva (Water), & Prithvi Tattva (Earth).
    Last edited by IcyCosmic; 28 March 2014 at 06:24 PM.

Re: Hinduism Aggregation

Hari Om

Namaste

Thanks Icy for this.

Proposed additions if understand:

1. Ahimsa
    2. Mantra
    3. Vegetarianism
    4. 1st of concept of right or wrong
    5. The true "Idol worship"
    6. nexus of food and mental/psychology/spiritual
    7. Deity as we understand.

Again, thank you for this Icy as made me think with deep appreciation all that has been offered.

Om NamahShiva

FFTW

Thankyou FFTW. I've added in your suggestions, bar one. I think the nexus of health/psychological aids would benefit from being broken down further into concepts or teachings.

Everyone is welcome to dispute anything on the list, or to rectify, or add suggestions.

I also welcome anyone to suggest subsidiary text for any concept [in bold] which may require expanding. For example : you may want to list all the main schools of Yoga underneath the 'Yoga' concept. You may want to list the main Ayurvedic practicies under the 'Ayurveda' concept. & so forth.

Great thread Icy Supreme!

Hinduism truly is a gift to the world. Maybe these could be added:

Rebirth/Reincarnation
    Moksha/Liberation
    Bhajans/Kirtans
    Literature (such as Bhagavad Gita, Mahabarata, Ramayana)
    Hindu Mythology
    Religious TV Series (I don't know if this counts since they are a recent development, but growing up in the US, I find them unlike anything I have ever been exposed to, which is a good thing)

Thank you.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Great thread Icy Supreme!

Hinduism truly is a gift to the world. Maybe these could be added:

Rebirth/Reincarnation
    Moksha/Liberation
    Bhajans/Kirtans
    Literature (such as Bhagavad Gita, Mahabarata, Ramayana)
    Hindu Mythology
    Religious TV Series (I don't know if this counts since they are a recent development, but growing up in the US, I find them unlike anything I have ever been exposed to, which is a good thing)

Thank you.
    Thankyou kindly for your suggestions. I'm not sure if Hindu mythology has a place there, is it really mythology? Perhaps another word would do more justice

Namaste Icy Supreme,

My sincerest apologies if I used the incorrect term. What I meant to describe is the vast history of the gods and goddesses, such as the puranas and such literature. Is there another term that would have been more appropriate?

Thank you.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Haha, no worries. I was literally asking you if you think that is the correct term. In my opinion it isn't, the outside world calls it mythology, but do we see it as mythology? That is all I meant. There is actually a perfect term but it doesn't come to mind right now, maybe another member can help us out.

I think that I understand. The word mythology indicates that it's fictional, when it is not. I did not even think about it that way when I said it. Thank you for the correction!
    Om Namah Shivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I think this (overall) is a good idea. Yet I would suggest that when I look at the lists above which are fine, they are more at a mico level. Why mention this? Because some of the things listed IMHO should be first be recognized where they fit ( or come from) i.e. the marco level.

Let me give an example...
    • If I offer ahiṃsā (non-injury; non-violence) as a line item , I'd think yama and niyama should be called out as the subject matter in which ahiṃsā has come from.
    • If we call out literature then one would call out say the mahābhārata. We then would call it out its classification as itihāsa (history);
    • or the śiva mahāpurāṇa - from the purāṇa-s.
    • Or say jyotiṣh which is from one of the 6 vedāṅga texts.
    See my point ? It helps us get a handle on a wider scope. Same with say revenue from one's business; it is part of the Income statement. We then can see how it fits into the ~whole~ story.

So , if one does not know the origin of the line item they offer, then a learning experience can occur. The person then researches the information and tracks back to the origin or home of where that subject matter came ( an audit trail).

... just and idea.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste!

I know the topic of Universalism is hotly contested on HDF, and I do not want to open that whole can of worms. But perhaps we can find a way to add to the list the concept that Truth can be expressed and sādhana practiced in many ways, and that no one is going to be damned for all eternity for following their chosen spiritual path? Ekaṃ sat viprā bahudhā vadanti, again, not necessarily with the implications that cause angry exchanges to erupt on HDF, but as a distinguishing mark of Hindu Dharma, that it does not require everyone to be exactly the same as everyone else? This has always been one of the central attractions of this tradition for me, and an idea which, were it to be adopted by all communities globally, would do much to mitigate and reduce the overall amount of violence and hatred in the world (or at least remove one of the most frequently cited justifications for such violence and hatred).

The trick is coming up with a term for it that does not make people's heads explode. Something like unity-in-diversity? Appreciation for the multiplicity of paths (and setting aside the question of which paths we are willing to include and which we are not)? Hindu traditions alone run the whole gamut from atheistic to monotheistic to polytheistic to pantheistic to panentheistic, and that's just on the level of philosophy. This is what I have in mind.

Also the related idea that it is not necessary to proselytize, to violently threaten people with eternal damnation in order to get them to follow a particular spiritual practice. Respect for the integrity of the Other?

Maybe the simplest Hindu term that encompasses all of this with the least controversy is the concept of Iṣṭa-devatā.
    Last edited by Jeffery D. Long; 12 October 2013 at 09:31 PM.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Thread Information