Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Why is Buddhism More Accessible in the US

Re: Why is Buddhism More Accessible in the US

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Hinduism is quite complex and needs a master or a learned one to understand how to incorporate it in your life and Hinduism is more about rituals anyway
    What does all this mean?
    An average Hindu with no master can/does not live like a Hindu because he has no one to tell him how to incorporate Hinduism in his life?
    And it is all about rituals?

We should have our morning cup of coffee before we start pounding away at the keyboard to make a post!

Pranam.

Reason it's very simple way of life you don't have to get into religious ways but still can benefit of Buddhism while Hinduism is quite complex and needs a master or a learned one to understand how to incorporate it in your life and Hinduism is more about rituals anyway
    Dear Realdemigod,

I totally disagree with you. Hinduism is vast in sense that it incorporates many philosophies in it. But Hinduism is simplest religion in that a follower of Hinduism can chose any one of those philosophies. Buddhism is after all religion with a defined philosophy, so whatever you do, you cannot go against Buddha's teachings. That means Buddhism is a limited religion. It not just rejects God but also soul.

Hinduism is the simplest religion ever. For Example , I am a Hindu but never visit any temple or do ritual/puja of any kind. My mother is Hindu and does a lot of puja and worships God a lot. Hinduism has in it for everyone. For monists, monotheists, yogis, materialists, spiritualists, ritualists, non-ritualists etc etc. But Buddhism is not for everyone. And yes I come from Gaya , which is a holy place for Buddhists and Hindus alike. Those Buddhists do a hell lot of rituals from what I have seen. For a Hindu, just the chant of Namah Shivaya is enough (but not necessary), but if one wants anything else, a lot more things are available
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Namaste,

Reason it's very simple way of life you don't have to get into religious ways but still can benefit of Buddhism while Hinduism is quite complex and needs a master or a learned one to understand how to incorporate it in your life and Hinduism is more about rituals anyway
    I think this type of thinking stems from the romanticization of Buddhism that Sahasranama alludes to. The portrayal of Hinduism as overly ritualistic, superstitious, orthodoxic, etc. while Buddhism is simpler, more accessible and practical to the everyman.

While spending time on forums like this, it is easy to forget that most Hindus don't spend much time engaging in deep philosophical debates, but rather live lives of simple devotion. The only "ritual" that most Hindus are concerned with is a simple puja. Hinduism can indeed be very philosophically complex, and that is part of its beauty, as it is the conglomeration of the deepest truths of our reality passed down from our forefathers. But what makes it even more beautiful is the sheer practicality of it. The entire foundation of Hinduism is built on simple devotion to the Gods and living our everyday lives in accordance with dharmic principles.

Buddhism is portrayed in the west as more practical, accessible, less ritualistic and whatnot, but the reality is that it is just as diverse as Hinduism, and there is a lot more to Buddhism than just the Dalai Lama and a few Zen masters. Some schools of Buddhism are pretty much just philosophical atheism with a sole focus on meditation, which is what many westerners are infatuated with. Many other sects of Buddhism are just as "ritualistic" and "superstitious" as Hinduism is portrayed to be. Of course, karma and reincarnation are core principles of Buddhism, which many infatuated westerners would object to.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,

I was in Buddhist Kingdom of Bhutan for a week recently and what I saw was exactly opposite of what you say. There were tons of rituals that Buddhists practiced. In the morning they would take some prayer beads and go on turning the prayer wheel a certain number of times. They would also do some prayers in certain exercise like positions. The biggest misconception is that there is no God in Buddhism. They have developed many Gods and Devtas and even stolen few of our devtas. Like Tara devi is also worshiped in Buddhism. I saw lots of alcohol inside Buddhist monasteries and chocolates as people's offering for devtas of the temples. In short, the religion is full of ritual and it's just a misconception in the west that it is not.
    Last edited by isavasya; 02 April 2014 at 02:15 AM.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Eastern Mind

Vannakkam: Upon further reflection, I think there are also some other factors at play.

We have few retreat centers (if any) compared to Buddhism. Ones like this http://birken.ca/ are common. So being a meditative person, and wishing to practice that aspect, Buddhism provides a great deal more options. On a Hindu retreat, a few years back, we rented a Buddhist center. It was a beautiful place. They have a great eye for peaceful settings.

Aum Namasivaya
    Dandavats Eastern Mind,

This is a very important point and observation. Vedic/Hindu practices need more residential places for concentrated retreats. From my own studies there is almost nothing in Buddhism that is not included within our own sacred texts.

I am a practicing Vaishnava, but i have done many Buddhist retreats and in silent meditations i have just done my own practices, and i found a profound benefit from this.

Sometimes temples are to noisy, to much going on and its easy to get distracted. This is fine for a day to day practice, but sometimes there is a need to go deeper into the philosophy and practice.

In Veda and Vedanata and the associated Indian thoughts, such as yoga, ayurveda and philosophy there is so much depth to attract all types of people who are interested in aspects of spiritual life.

This has been something that i think is really missing in the west, that we dont have enough retreat centers. I think the members here have covered everything in detail, so i cant add to much new to what is already said. But i was a manager at a retreat center for 5 months in Devon http://gaiahouse.co.uk/

Its not only a wonderful place that welcomes a diverse non denominational background of teachers, it also is a viable business, and most importantly it helps people to find some peace and some inspiration on the journey.

I have put this idea forward to many of my fellow devotees before, but it just gets talked down, as not part of our process.

In England there are many wealthy Indians who could support this type of project, but the temple authorities do not see this project worth the time to market or even consider.

Hari Om

Namaste

Think much has been offered here but trying to think of a couple more not mentioned directly, and try not to be redundant. If already mentioned, apologize:

Certain not everyone who practices falls into this, but think cause in part is materialism. How Buddhism may be seen in this country is not with distinctions of the different vehicles contained within, and seen primarily as secular, as has been stated and then very much like a self help book/method. Breathe in/breath out, do what you will.

As has been stated here already, there is a commitment if you will with SD. One can not pretend. One can be Buddhist if wants and a good chance, no one knows. May carry on as if nothing changes. SD is a blood in/blood out or in for a penny in for a pound commitment. Just from OP, look how she has committed. Came to SD from different culture, and committed, willingly and beautifully.

Think some of the PR Hinduism has gotten from a few famous "gurus" over last has not helped.

As a young person at the time, living in one of smallest, poorest parts of U.S., was able to easily find several Monasteries to stay, without invention of smart phone or www. Think lack of prominence creates the same status.

On some days such as this one, think grace of the Supreme, graces how graces. This is how it should be. Perhaps, we are the fortune ones, and more will follow when the time comes.

All in all, just my two cents.

Thank you.

Om Namah ShivaYa

FFTW

Thread Information